R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

go with the hpi savage...ok yes its nitro ok yes its huge yes it is easy to drive i got my 1st rc wen i was 4 and then i got my 1st nitro rc at 7 and drove real carefully in the driveway untill i got used to it by the time i was 8 i could do full speed runs up n down the street and do a circuit...and now i have a monster truck after 2 onroads,a top fuel dragster and a stadium truck
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes, let's give a 6 year old a nitro-powered R/C that is capable of causing property damage and injury, in addition to having him/her handle hazardous fuel and equipment.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to ProudSavageOwnr Send a message via Yahoo to ProudSavageOwnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai3g_Eclipse
Yes, let's give a 6 year old a nitro-powered R/C that is capable of causing property damage and injury, in addition to having him/her handle hazardous fuel and equipment.
hell yeah y not i let my 3 year old nephew drive my savage.....goes like mad......hasnt crashed once
Raptor G4 ,Raptor e550,Gaui x5,Mini titan v2,Precision aerobatics bandit 4s monster,Carbon z scimitar Jr 11x
ProudSavageOwnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

At a local track theres kids who are no older then 8 that will turn in a top 5 tq in buggy in a field with over 30 entries. Yeah, an year old handling an mbx-5 with a o.s. vz-b.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yep Xmods are fun, this kid at camp had one and we would drive it around our cabin. The only down side was the crappy radio and steering. But it is worth all $50.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #21
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Wink

I went with a Traxxas Stampede....

He only broke a couple of things on it over several years.
I still have it.

Parts support is great.

One of the best parts was watching him pick the colors and painting the body.....

It may not be the best paint I've ever seen, but I will always remember and keep that body....

6yr old with a nitro car.....OUCH
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres
I went with a Traxxas Stampede....

He only broke a couple of things on it over several years.
I still have it.

Parts support is great.

One of the best parts was watching him pick the colors and painting the body.....

It may not be the best paint I've ever seen, but I will always remember and keep that body....

6yr old with a nitro car.....OUCH
I suppose if you had the land/open space for a big, fast, loud nitro truck, then OK. But for anything along the lines of a residential neighborhood??? eyyyaahhh... no. The stampede seems to be a trending recommendation, I'd have to say these guys are probably right.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Default What about the CEN Mini Madness

I just got back from Ultimate Hobbies, and picked the guy's brain on what to get, and he thinks a CEN Mini Madness Truck($100) would be the way to go because its bigger than the 1/18(about 11" long, and big tires) and uses more standard parts(540 motor, etc). Seems it would be a bit more durable than the smaller trucks(compared it to and AE 18MT and Losi Mini LST). Seems would be a good starter truck for him, and in a few years if my kid wants to race, we would probably be buying something new anyways.

By the way, all of the advice you provided is great(Except for the one post about getting a Nitro for him - he still sucks his thumb; made me laugh) . He would be driving on grass and stuff, so if that poses a problem for 1/18s that is a big issue - so those really don't do well, huh?)

Any thoughts on that Mini Madness - good, bad, or
otherwise.

Thanks,
mhallerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm not familiar with the Mini Madness Truck so that may tell you something about broad availibility of parts for it. The Associated 1/18th are 4 wheel drive so I do not see grass as much of an issue but as I haven't actually wheeled one I couldnt say for certain. If racing is in your son's future I would go with the 1/18th Associated as I have actually seen races for these before while I have never seen a mini madness in a race.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

mhallerbach, im on the same dilema as you, my 5 years old doughter (she makes 6 in june) wants a truck to play with dad ... (obviously as she see her mom paint the bodies for me is asking for a pink body ith barbie adhesives ) ...

Now ... i was thinking on 2 alternatives, an Associated 1/18 MT Electric or a E-Maxx ... and im still thinking about it, so i will keep reading this thread ...

About the guy recommending a nitro truck ... he ALWAYS answer a post with a "buy a hpi savage" so i think he just have too much free time on hands ...

good luck with the buy !!

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhallerbach
I just got back from Ultimate Hobbies, and picked the guy's brain on what to get, and he thinks a CEN Mini Madness Truck($100) would be the way to go because its bigger than the 1/18(about 11" long, and big tires) and uses more standard parts(540 motor, etc). Seems it would be a bit more durable than the smaller trucks(compared it to and AE 18MT and Losi Mini LST). Seems would be a good starter truck for him, and in a few years if my kid wants to race, we would probably be buying something new anyways.

By the way, all of the advice you provided is great(Except for the one post about getting a Nitro for him - he still sucks his thumb; made me laugh) . He would be driving on grass and stuff, so if that poses a problem for 1/18s that is a big issue - so those really don't do well, huh?)

Any thoughts on that Mini Madness - good, bad, or
otherwise.

Thanks,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

My kids had the rc18t and`while it was a decent truck it had some difficulty in grass. Finally ended up ditching them for 1/10 trucks. My 8 year old and 5 year old both have XXXTs and my 3 year old is starting on the Evader ST. Both of these have done well for us and can be found used for a pretty good price if you look around. Just get a higher turn motor and gear it to the tall side to keep the speed down until the skills improve.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The reasons you listed for keeping away from an 18t are the same I was fixing to list. At a tiny size small sticks and ect. become big hazards that otherwise wouldn't be much of a problem. As long as the car can run around 15 mph it should be fast enough that he won't get bored with it. As far as the grass is concerned typicaly those tires sink into the grass and cause the bottom of the car to drag so its very hard to accelerate in the grass. If you believe the car has enough clearance to not bottom out then it should cruise right through the grass. The only thing I would consider spending extra money on would be a few extra battery packs. It is typicaly not good for the batteries to be charged right after you have run them. You normaly want to let them sit for 2 hours or so. All you need are some 1500 packs. They will give you plenty of run time and you won't have to worry too much about battery maintanance. This would allow the car to run for a good 25-35 minutes which should be more then enough for a 6 year olds attention span.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Default I'm going with the CEN Mini Madness for him

This seems like the best choice for my situation, and because it uses standard 1/10 scale parts()Motors, servos. batteries), parts should be easy to get - My LHS has tons of replacement parts. I might buy an 18T for myself though.

Next question, seems like battery technology has come a long way since I was a kid. The truck comes with a standard 7.2v 1800 mah Nicad flat 6 cell. I see that I can buy all the way up to 4000 mah since it is a standard type. What does the higher mah and NimH give me - longer run time and or speed. I was told the stock 1800 mah nicad will give me approx 20 min run time on the MiniMadness - If I go to like a 3600 or 4000 mah will I get proportionally longer run time, or a speed improvement. Any down side to getting the biggest reasonably priced battery that will fit the specs(size and voltage). If I get a bigger battery, can I use the same included wall charger to charge it(with a longer charge), or do I need a different charger altogether. I want to get a peak charger at some point, but I want to ease into all of this as my experience and my son's interest grows too. If it is highly recommended I get a peak charger off the bat, can someone recommend a realtively inexpensive one(under $40 or so) that will give me some versatility and I can use with other packs for quite awhile). Sorry for all of the questions, I just didn't realize there were soo many options out there.

Thanks,
mhallerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to boardbouncer

i say go with a rustler or stampede...very durable and easy to work on, also i have yet to see a hobby shop that didn't have parts.

i would stay away from 18th..very little screws(but that's coming from someone with fat fingers )

yes the higher the mah the longer the run time..4000 2x as long as 2000
and they will take longer to charge
i suggest grtting a cheaper peak charger if its in the budget,,ive had 2 of the dynamite chargers and you can get them for around $40
Slash "stock spec">>>This i can handle!!
I got the wrong "CHANGE"
boardbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to sim600

If you buy the biggest latest battery pack (4200mah for Ni-Mh), you're buying racing tech and you're really paying a lot of money for not that much total capacity (compared to say 2 smaller packs).

I'd say get GP 3300mah or 3000 mah batteries.

I've seen the CEN Mini Madness. It looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure your boy will enjoy it. Maybe you should get one too, so you can race and share parts