• 2 Post By billdelong
  • 1 Post By losicorey
  • 2 Post By Panther6834

550 Competition Motor for a Slash 4x4: The Search Behind

Old 01-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 550 Competition Motor for a Slash 4x4: The Search Behind

As the title clearly indicates, I'm searching for a 550 motor, to go into a Slash 4x4, and possibly one for another similarly-sized vehicle. Since our indoor track (most indoor track, actually) limits batteries to 2S, I'll be needing something slightly above 4000kV. Initially, I was thinking of the usual 540, 4000kV...but, the idea of a 550 struck me as a better possible solution. Anyway, not in any particular order, I've narrowed the choices down to the following 4 motors:

1) Maclan MR4 Series Competition Sensored 4-Pole 550 SCT Motor, 4150kV
2) Tekin Pro4 HD 4-Pole Brushless 550 Motor, 4300kV
3) Hobbywing XERUN SCT 3660SD G2 550 Sensored Brushless Motor, 4300kV
4) Tekin Redline SC4X Sensored Brushless 550 Motor, 5.5 Turn (approx 4000+kV)

There are a few reasons why I'm thinking a 550 will be a better choice than a 540 - more efficient, more torque, less chance of causing battery problems (remember, required to run 2S...nothing higher), more torque (oh, yea, already listed that...just didn't want those reading this to forget this point).

First, am I making a "smart" decision in wanting to go work a 550, as opposed to a 540? Second, between these motors, what would be your order of preference...and why? Finally, in addition to these four motors, what others might you would consider "equally competitive", and why? In regards to that final question, I don't want to go any lower than 4000kV, and (probably) no higher than 4300kV.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

3) Hobbywing XERUN SCT 3660SD G2 550 Sensored Brushless Motor, 4300kV

High quality, tons of power and will stand the test of time
RC*PHREAK and losicorey like this.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
3) Hobbywing XERUN SCT 3660SD G2 550 Sensored Brushless Motor, 4300kV. High quality, tons of power and will stand the test of time
Let me start off by saying I've eliminated the Tekin Redline. I know your first point, and I'm sure the 3rd is equally true...but, as for your second points, from what I understand, they're less efficient, have less power, and less torque, than the other two. The HW is only an 8-slot design vs the 12-slot design of the Tekin (I haven't been able to determine how many the Maclan has). Also, the ESC plays into how well the motor works...ESCs currently under consideration are the HW XR8 SCT, and the Castle Mamba X. As great as the all-HW combo is, I know that the Tekin motors play EXTREMELY nicely with HW ESCs. I've also read that the Maclan motors work extremely well with the HW & Castle ESCs. As for how the Tekin & HW motors work work the Mamba X ESC, I have no info.

I'm not necessarily looking for "the best"...there are 6 points to consider: price, performance, age (of the motor's design), longevity (ie. how long the motor is usable before needing to be rebuilt/replaced), efficiency, and CS. The HW has the best price, but the Maclan isn't far behind, with the Tekin at a 50% premium over the other two. For performance, Tekin is outstanding, and (supposedly) Maclan isn't too far behind, with the HW a somewhat distant 3rd. Where age is concerned, the HW & Maclan motors are the winners...but, where longevity is concerned, while Tekin & HW have both proven themselves, I have no info on Maclan (as the company is only 5yrs old, built off the remnants of Viper). Finally a in regards to CS, Tekin is the winner...I've had problems with HW, and others have reported problems with Maclan.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Iíve seen several Tekinís lose bearings. As far as the hobbywing being down on power, Iíd have to disagree. Iíve been running hobbywing since before they were popular and have always had power and reliability.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

all I run in the 550 series is tekin. go with tekin.Pro4
Old 01-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

If you go Tekin be sure to get their matched ESC, their motors do tend to pull more power and I ran into overheating issues when matched with HobbyWing ESC, I was told to use the Tekin "current limiter" with the Tekin ESC to help fix my over heating issue. I decided to switch the motor out to HobbyWing and no regrets since, performance was equal to the Tekin motor for me. Tekin also offers a datalogger which is really nice, if you don't need those extra features then HobbyWing will do just fine, kinda like Ford vs Ferrari, both can win given the right driver
Old 01-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Based on the replies in this thread, as well as replies in other threads in other forums, it seems that's the HW 3660SD G2 4300kV & XR8 SCT will be the winners...best of all, they can be purchased in a 'combo' package, saving money. To quote an old saying, "I thank you, and Leslie salt thanks you."
billdelong and losicorey like this.