Search
Like Tree69Likes

Racing Etiquette List

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions?? Racing Etiquette List

This list has been circulating around Facebook and I was curious specifically what your take is on #2:

Here's the list: Racing Etiquette

#1) Rule, race others the way you want to be raced. You might not be in contention today, but next time you may need that return favor. A kind gesture of giving another racer room when he or she is racing for the win goes a long way.

#2) Rule, Heat races... you race the clock, there is no need to put yourself or another racer in a position to get tangled up. Don’t be stupid.

#3) Race the leader clean and when you are getting lapped give the leader room. If it’s the second time your getting lapped just get out of the way. Nobody makes up two laps.

#4) Helping others. If you see a racer struggling, lend a hand. I do every week with about 8-10 racers. I’m happy to help, it makes us all better.

#5) The way you race on the track is one thing, the way you carry yourself off the track is even more important. We have several young racers who look up to you. Be a good role model, be a good person. Negative comments not only make you look bad, but it makes us all look bad. You may feel like a bitch session is justified, there is a time and place for everything.

#6) There are 50-100 other racers there...you are not the most important racer in the place. Everyone is there to have a good time. Again, think of others. No matter how something may look, everyone makes mistakes... not every wreck is intentional.

#7) Have fun, be safe and enjoy the great hobby and track we have.

So for #2 - if you’re racing the clock, but someone slower (or a few) are intentionally (or unintentionally) blocking - or there’s a pack ruining your time, what do you do? Just hang back the whole time? I get the whole spread out thing when starting, but it never stays that way...
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

#2 is definitely race the clock. If someone gets in your way, pass them as clean as you can. You also don't want them to hinder a TQ run or for people like me placing mid pack lol. If you're that fast that you're catching up to people that are way slower, you should be able to pass them no problem. Also, a good RD will also see this and if someone is holding them up they may announce for so and so to move over as the faster cars are behind them.
Andy Koback and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

#2 is a "good" rule. and Evoking said, for it to work fairly/effectively the Race director must call traffic for all (not just the leader). Qualifying; Heads up racing of IFMAR starts in all about the fastest run, not staying ahead of "that guy"

Andy Koback and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

For #2, I would suggest that you listen to the announcer during a heat from a big event on YouTube. When the opportunity approaches, you will usually hear them announce, “Joe, leader is coming up on you”, typically followed by a “Thank you” when they let them by. This is basically a subtle “Blue flag”. While the hobby typically sees this as a courtesy, keep in mind that it’s pretty much law in professional Motorsports. Failure to yield after being shown the Blue flag can result in a Black flag if you ignore it repeatedly.

That being said, I don’t mind the courtesy aspect of our hobby. Unless you are the one racing for the win, nobody wants to be the guy that ruined the race for someone else. As you gain experience, you will learn how to give way without affecting your personal pace too much. Overall, the stickiest situations are when a) you have a few lead cars (perhaps two, maybe even three) who are all together behind you, or b) you are fighting for position with someone else, and a leader is right behind you... I guess you could also say c), where both a) and b) are happening at once!

Again, if you work on learning how to give way ASAP, it should have minimal impact on both your and the other guy’s race... and keep in mind that if you are also fighting for position, that other person will have to give way too, so it’s all about who does it better - yet another aspect of race craft.

As for the list in general, I don’t have a problem with it. Everything seems fair enough. It’s important to help those starting out, rather than developing a “clique” mentality that shuts out others. How else is the hobby supposed to grow and become more competitive? We don’t have this big, bad sanctioning body breathing down our necks as far as enforcing racing etiquette, so that’s on us as well. As a Manifesto if sorts, it’s not a bad list to keep in mind. At the end of the day, if you’re not having fun, why are you still doing it?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The announcer thing was completely new to me. I’ve done 2 buggy races with one. And 1 on road raceday. Other then “track is live” and “race complete” don’t think I heard anything else.

ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Race Directors are "KEY" to the track's race program. There is MUSH more to being a good race director than just starting and ending the race. As mentioned earlier, listen to some of the "national"/large races on Youtube (anything by Scotty Ernst), and you will see.

Race directing is an art (think host or DJ) different tracks have different expectations of the Race Director. The race director is responsible for keeping the program moving, interfacing with the PC (and any issues it has that day), providing the atmosphere, getting turn marshals, and so much more (in the "old days" they even had to 10 key/hand punch laps for each car every lap).

If your race director is not "calling traffic" when an opportunity presents itself, you could let them know that would be helpful for you as a driver (don't demand). I'm sure your Race Directors want to do the best job they can.

BTW, YEARS ago I race directed at two smallish tracks, I found I had to race or Race direct I could not do both on the same day (race directing "well" took too much focus for me).

Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think that things like this lose track of what we are actually doing. We are mostly adults playing with kid toys. I'm not paying $20 on race day to let people pass me because they're a lap up. I'm paying $20 to have people flipping my car when it's on it's lid, and I'm racing everyone like it's neck and neck, that is what my $20 is for. There is no money on the line, and even if there is I'm treating all cars the same so the handicap is equal. I'm not getting out of the way so you guys have more fun, not happening. Yes, this has rubbed people the wrong way (literally and figuratively). I can race teh clock on practice days, doesn't make sense that when others are out there we let each other go by. We aren't driving these things so we are in danger when less skilled people are behind the wheel.

The number one rule should be to have fun, and let each individual define that. Also helping each other is huge.
simple and bonzo915 like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgymr
I think that things like this lose track of what we are actually doing. We are mostly adults playing with kid toys. I'm not paying $20 on race day to let people pass me because they're a lap up. I'm paying $20 to have people flipping my car when it's on it's lid, and I'm racing everyone like it's neck and neck, that is what my $20 is for. There is no money on the line, and even if there is I'm treating all cars the same so the handicap is equal. I'm not getting out of the way so you guys have more fun, not happening. Yes, this has rubbed people the wrong way (literally and figuratively). I can race teh clock on practice days, doesn't make sense that when others are out there we let each other go by. We aren't driving these things so we are in danger when less skilled people are behind the wheel.

The number one rule should be to have fun, and let each individual define that. Also helping each other is huge.
Now see - I'm not mad at your mentality whatsoever. That's not to say I completely share it though per say... and I say that because if I'm in, oh, lets say heat #2 and I've already blown it a few times, I'll make way for those moving quick. But - if I'm on a good run - yep, I don't particularly feel like going out of my way to let others by on "race day". I also tend to agree with your mentality that practice is for racing the clock. On race day, you're literally trying to get a better time than the next guy to get position in the mains.

PS - Ain't no way in hell these are kids toys... I'd never spend $2k for a kids toy then another god knows what in extra shit to play with it
Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Change the word "racing" to "posting on RC Tech", and everything in this whole thread makes sense.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

this issue can "go sideways" really quick. we all pay to race and are entitled to the track (and racing). The argument can be made the faster driver should have no issue passing the slower car (that they are lapping). when racing for position one should not have to "give way". However, what is appropriate when being lapped (or repeatedly lapped)? even worse, what happens when a driver allows the leader(s) to pass, then the leader(s) crash and are again behind the "slower" car. Does that driver have to "concede" again?

As I stated before the Race Director should be actively involved in helping ALL the racers to have an enjoyable experience.

ExRCRacer likes this.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what i recall, we all pay the $20 fee and we all should take our turn at flipping cars over throughout the night. Sounds like your twenty dollars is more important than everyone elses. A little thing called common curtesy on the track is what the list sums up to in my opinion. If you cant win clean or lose without getting angry and blocking faster cars that are having “more fun”, maybe stick to practice nights.
Davidka, DirkW, ExRCRacer and 2 others like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dcerven94
From what i recall, we all pay the $20 fee and we all should take our turn at flipping cars over throughout the night. Sounds like your twenty dollars is more important than everyone elses. A little thing called common curtesy on the track is what the list sums up to in my opinion. If you cant win clean or lose without getting angry and blocking faster cars that are having “more fun”, maybe stick to practice nights.
Not sure why you think I place a premium on my money? After all we are seeking a club to hang out with like-minded people. My $20 is to race any way I want to(within reason). Blocking is a part of racing in my opinion, taking people out is not. Also what I've noticed is that only people that think they are good get mad at people that keep racing. The really good drivers have no issue getting around less skilled ones and accept the challenge.
Slo_E4 and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimF
Race Directors are "KEY" to the track's race program. There is MUSH more to being a good race director than just starting and ending the race. As mentioned earlier, listen to some of the "national"/large races on Youtube (anything by Scotty Ernst), and you will see.

Race directing is an art (think host or DJ) different tracks have different expectations of the Race Director. The race director is responsible for keeping the program moving, interfacing with the PC (and any issues it has that day), providing the atmosphere, getting turn marshals, and so much more (in the "old days" they even had to 10 key/hand punch laps for each car every lap).

If your race director is not "calling traffic" when an opportunity presents itself, you could let them know that would be helpful for you as a driver (don't demand). I'm sure your Race Directors want to do the best job they can.

BTW, YEARS ago I race directed at two smallish tracks, I found I had to race or Race direct I could not do both on the same day (race directing "well" took too much focus for me).
New years day was my first real day of racing outside the group I’ve raced 1/10 and small scale with for 3 years. Very impressive how theyHobbytown St.Charles) ran 7 class 2 qualifiers and main each in just under 3 hours. Either ready or not.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

I understand that we are all running toy cars, but at the same time, I like the idea that racing them brings out the competitive spirit in everyone. If it wasn’t for that, then my toy car would be a crawler or basher, and not a toy car engineered to be run with other toy cars like it in circles.

That being said, I know that we all head out to the track with the hope and expectation that we can win the race, but on the chance where it looks like we won’t be able to that day, why ruin that opportunity for someone else by possibly being a hinderance? Now imagine the other end of the spectrum, where some guy’s contingency money is lost because of someone else having an off day who refused to pull over. It kind of changes things when racing toy cars is you day job, right?

Case in point (referring back to YouTube again, lol)... look up the “Come Drive with Us” series, and bring up the episode about the 2018 Off Road Worlds in Perth, AUS, then notice how Bruno Coelho felt about Ryan Cavalieri holding him up in Qualifying.

At the end of the day, it’s still competition (whether or not you’re getting paid to do it, anyway). so I just see it as Sportsman-like behavior to let someone by - it’s not like anyone is asking you to park your buggy/car at the curb or something.

Oh, and I hope it’s understood that while you’re paying to have someone flip your car over when it turns upside down, it is also expected of you to turn others’ flipped cars over every once in a while too.
dcerven94 and ExRCRacer like this.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Not sure why you think I place a premium on my money? After all we are seeking a club to hang out with like-minded people. My $20 is to race any way I want to(within reason). Blocking is a part of racing in my opinion, taking people out is not. Also what I've noticed is that only people that think they are good get mad at people that keep racing. The really good drivers have no issue getting around less skilled ones and accept the challenge.
That depends on whether or not a slow car that takes up the whole track is in between a good driver and the guy in the next position up. I get that pulling over every other lap to let fast guys by is annoying and can get aggravating and even ruin some slower guys race night. But lets say you are holding up 1st and 2nd, who have been having a great battle for position, but blow a turn and 1st gets by, but not 2nd. Should 2nd race you clean and get held up while 1st increases his lead? It isn't 2nd's skill at driving that is holding him up, it is your slow car that takes up the whole track (I am using you, and your not to specifically mean you, but the slow car. You just happen to be the poster I am responding to). Situations like this can ruin race nights for the fast guys. Not to mention when they see an opening and stick their car in the line, but the guy they are passing tries to get the line back and takes both of them out. Now you have two racers angry with each other and both of them say its the other guys fault (I see this happen all the time).

The best thing that can really be done is to pay attention and use your words on the driver stand. It cost a lot less time to tell the guy behind you, I'm going wide in the next corner than it does to wreck the both of you and have to get marshaled.

And, as far as number 2 is concerned, yes you are racing a clock. But, really you are qualifying and I consider defending your position completely legitimate. Remember, blocking and defending your position are 2 separate things, and take note that I said your position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.