Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1409Likes

AE B6.2D / B6.2 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-30-2020, 02:57 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: AE B6.2D / B6.2 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.): What is the difference between 2 gears and 4 gears in the gear diff?
Please read these posts by Roger M. Maybe this has been answered but what are the little orings in diff do for tuning?
Please read these posts by Roger M.
Information on the rear axles and the different length dog bones from Roger M.

The 0 (option) and +2 (kit) axles are for using different length driveshafts with the different arm lengths

Kit +2 axles

73mm arms wih 67mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 69mm driveshafts

Option 0 axles

73mm arms with 65mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 67mm driveshafts

Why would you want to change the driveshaft length?
It is essentially to do with the fact that a drive joint will want to run straight under power and the position of that joint (the pin through the CVA joint into the axle).
The further that CVA joint pin is inboard of the lower hub hingepin (assuming you're running fairly typical outer link positions) the more bind you will generate in the suspension as the drive joint tried to straighten under power, this extra binding will 'stiffen' the suspension as it adds load on top of that from the weight transfer on the car.
Conversely the the nearer the CVA joint pin is to lower hub hinge pin the less bind and thus freer suspension movement.

When would you want to change this?

Basically on bumpy tracks, tracks with inconsistent grip or lower grip you want the suspension to be as free to move as possible so that you get the full benefit from the shock and roll centre tuning, also the car feels like it has more grip in the areas where you go on/off/on the gas.
To this end you will be running the longest possible dog bone you can for the arm length, hence why the +2 axles are in the kit.

On smooth super high grip tracks (EOS / CRC carpet for example) running a shorter dogbone will feel like it takes grip away from the rear as you get on power, aiding late corner rotation and reducing the on-power understeer that often plagues tight carpet tracks.
The only time I would run the 0 axles is with 67mm dogbones on 75mm arms and only then when I wish I could get let rear toe than the 1deg minimum we can get from the pills we have (actually I had custom pill made so I can get 0deg rear toe for those types of tracks but ...)

What are the handling differences between the 73 and 75mm arms.
Brief explanation from RogerM (thanks!)

The arm length effects the roll centre and more significantly the roll centre migration as the car rolls in the corners.

Shorter rear arms will encourage more tire loading so more grip as the car rolls, great for lower grip surfaces but on high grip surfaces they can stall the rotation mid corner costing corner speed. They can also make the car feel more reactive which is good when a low grip level makes the car feel less reactive so making it harder to place in technical sections.

Long rear arms the opposite, car will rotate more freely for more corner speed but won't generate as much side-bite so mid/late corner will be reduced. Make the car feel naturally lazier which is great on high grip surfaces as it makes the car easier to drive overall.

So the long Vs short rear arm is just like the flat Vs gullwing front arm, all about the grip level from the surface and how technical the track layout is.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by daz_75
That is so weird. Redownloaded still nothing
What kind of track is this setup for??

thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drbrake
Nob question. what is a "split piston"?
From my understanding a "split" piston has 2 sizes of holes. Where a regular piston is 2x1.7 or 2x1.8 a split piston could be 1x1.6 and a 1x1.7 hole in a single piston. Hope this helps. :-)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerM
The earlier setup was very early into the development, I just wanted to get something out there that was ok to drive on a bumpy astro track as the kit setup was aimed solidly at carpet.
Newer setup is a lot more traction focused, seems very well received by most drivers I've spoken with and I still believe it to be a great starting point for most..
There is more to come........
Where will you post you latest set up for indoor clay??

Thanks
Old 07-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Called Associated about 3 weeks ago about the 1.8 rear pistons.
They sent me a set of 1.7 thins. I think several 6.2 kits have the wrong (1.8) pistons in them
Old 07-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Rear hub height

Roger I notice your latest high grip astro setup is only using the +1 insert on the rear hub but quite a low ride height (17mm) - is this to keep the rear roll centre low and generate more rear roll and less grip in tight corners?
Old 07-27-2020, 06:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the MIP Puck system for the B6.1 will fir the 6.2?
Old 07-28-2020, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drbrake
Where will you post you latest set up for indoor clay??

Thanks
Unfortunately I doubt I will ever get to race on indoor clay, there are absolutely zero 10th scale clay tracks in the UK, indoors or outdoors. Sorry I cannot help directly but if I were to go to the USA I would be starting on Dustin Evan's setups as I have great respect for his setup ability as well as his driving.

It is simply not viable to have indoor clay tracks in our country, it is VERY rare to find any permanent indoor facilities at all due to the costs of real estate and business rates. The two permanent indoor facilities I know of are both carpet tracks so they can be used for both on-road and buggies.
Outdoor clay for 10th tracks is impossible due to the weather, there are 8th tracks but they very quickly become far to rough for 10th cars.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pistol123
Roger I notice your latest high grip astro setup is only using the +1 insert on the rear hub but quite a low ride height (17mm) - is this to keep the rear roll centre low and generate more rear roll and less grip in tight corners?
Well spotted, it is an anomaly and not something I would usually do, it came about from working with the Hall brothers a lot, Jamie in particular likes to have a car that he can handbrake into every corner and that needs a certain level of camber gain. Also the tracks we have been racing on have been very tight and technical due to having to be covered by only 6 marshals for social distancing reasons, more about the drivers stand than the track of course, which has resulted in us wanting a car that can be rotated hard.

Also the typical feedback is that people are finding that the B6.2 has a lot of steering and as such there has been a tendency to try and balance that by locking in the rear end rather than my normal more flowing setups where the rear follows the front in a natural arc.
Over the past few weeks I've been struggling along trying to help develop setups for those guys but I simply cannot drive quick enough that way, I'm far more old school than that. Also as clubs are getting used to how to manage the distancing the tracks are trending more towards the faster more open layouts, current Kidderminster layout is insanely fast for example!

There will be a setup available very soon that is a lot more conventional in that respect. I will go into the details once the sheet is available to discuss but essentially a higher axle height, longer rear link on the hub and increased roll stiffness on the front amongst other things.
Really finding a good understanding of the new car now, tracks being closed for 13 weeks didn't help.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Edit

Last edited by 4times; 08-01-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Dumb question how do you transition from driving low grip to medium grip AstroTurf. Found my low grip driving techniques too for medium grip astro.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
Dumb question how do you transition from driving low grip to medium grip AstroTurf. Found my low grip driving techniques too for medium grip astro.
Don't change the driving style, change the car.

As grip increases ...
Reduce rear toe,
Remove some washers from behind the steering rack ball stud,
Raise rear axle height (probably front axle height too),
Raise inner rear ball stud.

All these things move bias towards a freer rotating rear with less front end bite.

Also move the battery position forward as the grip goes up.
5tone likes this.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks
Old 08-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RogerM
Don't change the driving style, change the car.

As grip increases ...
Reduce rear toe,
Remove some washers from behind the steering rack ball stud,
Raise rear axle height (probably front axle height too),
Raise inner rear ball stud.

All these things move bias towards a freer rotating rear with less front end bite.

Also move the battery position forward as the grip goes up.

I had a weird understeer issue at Broxtowe. You would go downhill and turn 90 degrees towards the main straight. I could turn correctly off power and going slow but it would understeer on power was losing 15ft on that corner as I couldn’t carry any speed.

I was using Rogers Telford setup. With new z4 wedges and pyramids.

I swapped the fronts for 1 run old yellow cut staggers and had too much steering.
The fast guys were using pryramids and worn cut staggers.

The car was good everywhere else except this one corner.

I was using a 7.0turn motor with 3degrees of boost and 8 degrees of turbo.
I put it in try at a1 racing which is like driving on ice.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Smoking motor..
I had a weird understeer issue at Broxtowe. You would go downhill and turn 90 degrees towards the main straight. I could turn correctly off power and going slow but it would understeer on power was losing 15ft on that corner as I couldn’t carry any speed.

I was using Rogers Telford setup. With new z4 wedges and pyramids.

I swapped the fronts for 1 run old yellow cut staggers and had too much steering.
The fast guys were using pryramids and worn cut staggers.

The car was good everywhere else except this one corner.

I was using a 7.0turn motor with 3degrees of boost and 8 degrees of turbo.
I put it in try at a1 racing which is like driving on ice.
Yes the Schumacher cut stagger (yellow) gives WAY more front end than the z4 Wedge3, even the non-cut stagger is slightly more in some situations. This is what I say about the tyre balance front to rear being different between the brands.

In order of most front end biased to least it would be;
Schumacher
Ballistic Buggy
Proline
JC

This why us in the UK look at some of the US setups, especially for carpet and wonder how they drive them and the US guys think us Europeans all hate steering ;-)

For your specific issue it would depend on if you could stand more on-power steering in the other parts of the track too. If you could I would flatten the rear link a touch, probably raise the inboard rather than lower the outboard. That should give more on-power without effecting the off power / low speed feel much.
If you can't stand any more on-power steering around the rest of the track I suspect that you're overloading the front tyres in that one corner, guessing one of the fastest on the track? If that is the case you're going to have to change your line / driving style to prevent the overloading and resulting slip angle. You should be able to tell if is that as when you open the steering lock it will feel like it doesn't really respond until you are fairly low amount of lock.
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

So coming from a laydown,that i could not get on with and not having a ae since a b2 picked up a 6.2,and yep got me enjoying racing,now couple of questions,,,,
When and where would you run the standard axels by this i mean not the +2 ones....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.