Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
AE  B6.2D / B6.2 Thread >

AE B6.2D / B6.2 Thread

Like Tree1409Likes

AE B6.2D / B6.2 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-30-2020, 02:57 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: AE B6.2D / B6.2 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.): What is the difference between 2 gears and 4 gears in the gear diff?
Please read these posts by Roger M. Maybe this has been answered but what are the little orings in diff do for tuning?
Please read these posts by Roger M.
Information on the rear axles and the different length dog bones from Roger M.

The 0 (option) and +2 (kit) axles are for using different length driveshafts with the different arm lengths

Kit +2 axles

73mm arms wih 67mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 69mm driveshafts

Option 0 axles

73mm arms with 65mm driveshafts
75mm arms with 67mm driveshafts

Why would you want to change the driveshaft length?
It is essentially to do with the fact that a drive joint will want to run straight under power and the position of that joint (the pin through the CVA joint into the axle).
The further that CVA joint pin is inboard of the lower hub hingepin (assuming you're running fairly typical outer link positions) the more bind you will generate in the suspension as the drive joint tried to straighten under power, this extra binding will 'stiffen' the suspension as it adds load on top of that from the weight transfer on the car.
Conversely the the nearer the CVA joint pin is to lower hub hinge pin the less bind and thus freer suspension movement.

When would you want to change this?

Basically on bumpy tracks, tracks with inconsistent grip or lower grip you want the suspension to be as free to move as possible so that you get the full benefit from the shock and roll centre tuning, also the car feels like it has more grip in the areas where you go on/off/on the gas.
To this end you will be running the longest possible dog bone you can for the arm length, hence why the +2 axles are in the kit.

On smooth super high grip tracks (EOS / CRC carpet for example) running a shorter dogbone will feel like it takes grip away from the rear as you get on power, aiding late corner rotation and reducing the on-power understeer that often plagues tight carpet tracks.
The only time I would run the 0 axles is with 67mm dogbones on 75mm arms and only then when I wish I could get let rear toe than the 1deg minimum we can get from the pills we have (actually I had custom pill made so I can get 0deg rear toe for those types of tracks but ...)

What are the handling differences between the 73 and 75mm arms.
Brief explanation from RogerM (thanks!)

The arm length effects the roll centre and more significantly the roll centre migration as the car rolls in the corners.

Shorter rear arms will encourage more tire loading so more grip as the car rolls, great for lower grip surfaces but on high grip surfaces they can stall the rotation mid corner costing corner speed. They can also make the car feel more reactive which is good when a low grip level makes the car feel less reactive so making it harder to place in technical sections.

Long rear arms the opposite, car will rotate more freely for more corner speed but won't generate as much side-bite so mid/late corner will be reduced. Make the car feel naturally lazier which is great on high grip surfaces as it makes the car easier to drive overall.

So the long Vs short rear arm is just like the flat Vs gullwing front arm, all about the grip level from the surface and how technical the track layout is.

Print Wikipost

Old 05-23-2021, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im looking at running the Super Spec class at the upcoming US Carpet Offroad Championships in December. Would it be wise to invest in a motor and tires similar to what they end up announcing as the handouts for the event once they are announced and doing some testing at my home track?
Old 05-24-2021, 03:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

Does anyone know how wide the new 6.3 C and D blocks are over 6.2 C and D blocks? if you measure the center dot on both what's the difference?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 03:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tooldtorace
Hi,

Does anyone know how wide the new 6.3 C and D blocks are over 6.2 C and D blocks? if you measure the center dot on both what's the difference?

Thanks
Says +2mm in the description

Associated RC10B6.2 FT Rear Ballstud Mount, +2mm - Blue

Old 05-24-2021, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daz_75
Says +2mm in the description

Associated RC10B6.2 FT Rear Ballstud Mount, +2mm - Blue

that is the new ballstud mount,not what he is asking
Old 05-24-2021, 04:07 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

Thanks
​​​​​​1.4mm
RogerM likes this.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Hi,

Thanks
edit: mbrienzo beat me to it...

The outside hole on the old C/D block is the same as the inside hole on the new blocks. Each 1 pill is offset 0.7 mm, so that should be 1.4 mm difference between the old & new center locations.
jtodd57 and Tooldtorace like this.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shawn B
that is the new ballstud mount,not what he is asking
Whoops sorry
Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Never
Well you should be!

In the morning when I get to the track then through the day if there is more than say a 5degC change in air temperature.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Hi,

Thanks
1.4mm per side, it is actually a significant change in terms of percentage increase on hingepin separation.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Never
Originally Posted by RogerM
Well you should be!

In the morning when I get to the track then through the day if there is more than say a 5degC change in air temperature.
Kind of answered my own question. Didn't bleed the shocks this week and the cars felt unsettled. It's on an indoor carpet track so conditions don't change much. Temps were a hair warmer than last week so I will need to keep an eye on the temps too.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Im looking at running the Super Spec class at the upcoming US Carpet Offroad Championships in December. Would it be wise to invest in a motor and tires similar to what they end up announcing as the handouts for the event once they are announced and doing some testing at my home track?
I was hoping to get my question answered.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I was hoping to get my question answered.
I would at least get some tires to try to see their attributes and wear patterns. But, that will only help if you are driving on a surface similar to theirs. Doesn't have to be exact, but the further away it is, the further off your data will be.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Those who running MOD motor do you need fan motor? Or just the ESC
Old 05-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by raved007
Those who running MOD motor do you need fan motor? Or just the ESC
I would say in most cases yes. Some has to do with gearing and track layout.

edited to add: from a carpet perspective.

Last edited by Silverbullet555; 05-30-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont run a fan on either on dirt. You don't push mod motors as hard as stock. Now peak summer with 100deg temps, keep the esc under 140

On carpet though you will need an esc fan and some times a motor fan.

On 4w I do run an esc and motor fan everywhere though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.