Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
S3 & S4 compound on indoor clay? >

S3 & S4 compound on indoor clay?

S3 & S4 compound on indoor clay?

Old 12-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default S3 & S4 compound on indoor clay?

Hi all,

Recently gotten back into indoor racing after a 4 year break. I've notice PL has released a bunch of new compounds. How does the S3 or S4 compounds compare on indoor clay tracks were traditionally M4 or MC compounds used? I've heard of guys running ground down S3 slicks instead of MC, whats the consensus on them vs a ground down MC slicks? Also what about when the track starts to dry and require a ghost or full pin tire?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Every track is different, especially when temps vary and whether they water or spray with dirt glue and let it dry up, you're gonna get a dozen different responses.

Our area has since switched to a turf track, but the old clay track was ran dry with dirt glue and folks had to run MC in order to maximize wear... if you ran anything softer then the tires would go bald within 1-2 runs, but in the winter months you could get away with softer compounds or use more aggressive sauce. Even the clay compounds might only get 4-6 runs before they were gone. Here's an example of the surface we had:

Old 12-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

4-6 runs?!? I can see why you'd move away from this surface.

Did slicks work?
Old 12-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

yes slicks could've worked, but having "some" tread always provided faster lap times and nobody pushed to have a "spec tire" class, the closest we had to that was Spec Slash and the majority of us ran Dynamite Robbers on our 4WD SCT's where both those sets of tires could last 6+ months before wearing out. It was a VERY expensive tire bill to run on this clay track, I learned that 4WD was more cost effective on tires and gave up 2WD completely which freed up some cash for me to run more 4WD classes.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

S3 and Aqua 2 are dry groove clay tracks with heat (tire warmers) and nothing faster in the right conditions. S4 A3 dry groove colder temps not used as much. Compound first then tread height and they make awesome slicks
M4 used indoor slicks more on indoor tracks that have more topsoil content then clay or colder damp east coast indoor. Clay compound wet or dry but many are finding the softer clay compounds break in better and have better traction altogether like Concepts new silver compound or Rawspeed clay tires