Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree935Likes

TLR 22X-4, 22X-4 Elite Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-18-2022, 06:53 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22X-4, 22X-4 Elite Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jon003
This Wikipost will be used to share build tips and other tricks for the TLR 22X-4.

Frank Root from TLR posted a complete bag by bag build video series on youtube, with various TLR sponsored driver guests showing and explaining his thoughts on building the 22X-4.

Bag A
Bag B & C
Bag D
Bag E
Bag F
Bag G
Bag H & I
Bag I & Electronics Mounting
Getting the car ready for the track

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Domed caps are a must have. the cars do everything better with them
antivert likes this.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all,

yesterday, I tried the 22x-4 for the first time. I had two problems:

1) does anyone also had problems by using the composite servo horn?
Ich used the horn as pointed out in the manual for my Sanwa servo and recognized that the servo horn is able to move under load. The screw was tight and the servo isn’t moving - it’s just the horn.
I don’t want to use the alu version, because the plastic horn will save my servo in case of a huge impact.

2) after a while one of the front wheel nuts came off. I used the original nuts with Schumacher wheels. Does anybody else had this problem too?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2021, 05:15 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pancar_GER
Hi all,

Ich used the horn as pointed out in the manual for my Sanwa servo and recognized that the servo horn is able to move under load. The screw was tight and the servo isn’t moving - it’s just the horn.
I don’t want to use the alu version, because the plastic horn will save my servo in case of a huge impact.

2) after a while one of the front wheel nuts came off. I used the original nuts with Schumacher wheels. Does anybody else had this problem too?

Thanks!
​​​​​​Based on your user name I would assume that the 22X-4 is your first buggy. Congratulations on making the jump to off-road! Hardly anyone seems to use plastic servo horns anymore for the reasons you described. If you are using a quality servo, you don't need to worry about your gears too much. If not, you really should buy a quality servo.
All my buddies running TLR cars seem to use TLR wheels and have not had any issues yet. In general, I can highly recommend the 1up racing wheel nuts #80501. I bought mine at Tonisport, but they are currently out of stock.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Hi all,

Thanks!
Don’t know about the Schumacher wheels, but the mounting area on the front TLR 4WD wheels are inset slightly to have enough thread for the thin nuts to grab onto. If there isn’t much thread for that nut to catch on, that could be the cause of the problem. Also, don’t be afraid to crank on it a bit - they are serrated so that they can dig into the wheel a bit to help prevent backing out.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run Schumacher wheels and tires on carpet, and have not experienced the wheel nuts coming loose.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rraden
Where do you find the latest setups for this car? The last one on the TLR website was posted in March.
We really don't change much on the setups, not as much as people think. If we posted setups every 2 weeks, then most of the new setups wouldn't even have any changes. March setups are plenty good still. My go to setup is from 2019...

Hi all,

Thanks!
The plastic horn will break/strip on a good hit. If you're horn doesn't fit from new, you probably put the wrong one on. We all run alum horns. If you buy good servos, the servos can take a lot.

For the wheel nuts, it shouldn't be an issue, not something we've seen much of. Usually, they just aren't tightened tight enough.
rraden, antivert and lowspark like this.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt M.
Domed caps are a must have. the cars do everything better with them
Sock caps are ordered !!!
Definitely a -2 seconds a lap quicker just for the bling factor.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For any indoor clay racing I would suggest trying Frank Roots club race setup with only changing the center diff weight to 300K. Man my wheeler has been great ever since I’ve put it on. Easy to drive and you cab push it when needed.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey guys, just got a 22X-4 as my first ever wheeler. New to gear diffs and was wondering what the maintenance looks like on them. How often are you changing fluids or doing full rebuilds?
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Running factory setup, what droop length is optimal for off-road tracks. I cannot locate any information as to what the recommended setup is. Track- high grip, few moderately long jumps. several technical and high speed sections.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default shock conversion

Hi i was just wondering does anyone run the 3.5mm shock conversion, and if so is it any better than the kit and what's the end result of using them?

thanks
Old 09-20-2021, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Warrio17
Running factory setup, what droop length is optimal for off-road tracks. I cannot locate any information as to what the recommended setup is. Track- high grip, few moderately long jumps. several technical and high speed sections.

Thanks.
Look at Dakotahs 2020 Hobby Action setup. I did this one with 10k/500k/7k and have really enjoyed it.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bighaus90
Hey guys, just got a 22X-4 as my first ever wheeler. New to gear diffs and was wondering what the maintenance looks like on them. How often are you changing fluids or doing full rebuilds?

Empty and refill fluids every 3-4 weeks of racing.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRFHORNET
Hi i was just wondering does anyone run the 3.5mm shock conversion, and if so is it any better than the kit and what's the end result of using them?

thanks
All things being equal (piston, oil, spring, etc.), the 3.5’s have more pack and feel more “plush” than the 3.0’s. In contrast, the 3.0’s are more reactive, and while they land a little harder than the 3.5’s, they rebound/recover much faster.

There’s a G3 shock comparison image some pages back with a detailed breakdown of the two - the question gets asked from time to time.
RCDaddy2105 likes this.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
All things being equal (piston, oil, spring, etc.), the 3.5’s have more pack and feel more “plush” than the 3.0’s. In contrast, the 3.0’s are more reactive, and while they land a little harder than the 3.5’s, they rebound/recover much faster.

There’s a G3 shock comparison image some pages back with a detailed breakdown of the two - the question gets asked from time to time.
do you run 3.5's? or just the kit ones?

thanks for the reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.