R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Front Toe Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1055647-front-toe-question.html)

3DFLYER 12-12-2019 04:53 AM

Front Toe Question

Hey guys,
Sorry might be an easy one for you.
I'm new to off road racing, having a ball so far.

What tools or methods are you all using to measure front Toe on the buggies?

Assuming there's some different set up tools available?

Hamish

ExRCRacer 12-12-2019 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 3DFLYER (Post 15560268)
Hey guys,
Sorry might be an easy one for you.
I'm new to off road racing, having a ball so far.

What tools or methods are you all using to measure front Toe on the buggies?

Assuming there's some different set up tools available?

Hamish

You can use the camber gauge turned on its side to set toe. Just position the front wheels against a flat vertical surface (like a wall or piece of wood) and use the camber gauge horizontally to set the toe off of the flat surface.

Personally - I just eyeball it though. Toe is a b*tch.

3DFLYER 12-12-2019 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer (Post 15560297)
You can use the camber gauge turned on its side to set toe. Just position the front wheels against a flat vertical surface (like a wall or piece of wood) and use the camber gauge horizontally to set the toe off of the flat surface.

Personally - I just eyeball it though. Toe is a b*tch.

Mate that's brilliant thank you for that.
Yeah I'd been eyeballing it just wondered if there was a more "technical" way of doing it 😂

PorTX 12-12-2019 06:58 AM

Not an exact way to check but you can check really quick. On a flat surface, stand your vehicle on the side of the wheels and either eyeball the upper front wheel or use a level across the wheel/tire to see if are in, out or zero toe (level). Just make sure you check while approximately at your ride height. Again it is not an exact measurement but you can certainly get a good idea if you are in the ballpark.

dave-man 12-12-2019 07:22 AM

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hudy-un...108905/p150180

Reno 12-12-2019 08:16 AM

Like Dave-man posted. Get a Hudy setup station. The other methods work but you mentioned a more technical way.
I have one it it works great.

Anthony.L 12-12-2019 08:30 AM

I have the Hudy setup station when setting up on the work bench at home. At the track, if I need to adjust toe I will either eye ball or camber gauge on its side.

Kelseyrc 12-12-2019 10:43 AM

I use the setup station by 720 Spin. In the US, you can get one through Rotor Ron. It is half the cost of the Hudy station, very easy to use and comes in multiple colors :)

ExRCRacer 12-12-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Reno (Post 15560383)
Like Dave-man posted. Get a Hudy setup station. The other methods work but you mentioned a more technical way.
I have one it it works great.

I had a Hudy set up station and sold it. For some reason, I couldn't get it to be accurate whatsoever. I set everything perfectly set (as least I think I have it perfect). I'd put the wheels on and toe was jacked. I'd put the car/truggy down on the table and you could see it was clearly out of whack with the naked eye.

I personally hated the station.

3DFLYER 12-12-2019 01:47 PM

Thanks guys for some info, I'll look into those set up stations, familiar with the hudy ones from TC racing.

720 looks good as well.

Sounding so far that toe can be there abouts 😂

RazorRC 12-12-2019 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer (Post 15560504)
I had a Hudy set up station and sold it. For some reason, I couldn't get it to be accurate whatsoever. I set everything perfectly set (as least I think I have it perfect). I'd put the wheels on and toe was jacked. I'd put the car/truggy down on the table and you could see it was clearly out of whack with the naked eye.

I personally hated the station.

I have one and find it hard to use too. Because of bumpsteer (as suspension compresses, toe changes) and camber gain, you have to somehow imitate the car sitting on the ground (with the same amount of ride height, shock compression, etc.) even though it's hanging up in the air. Setting it to zero toe in the air will be different when it's on the ground.

I think what people do is map it. Meaning they know if they set it to -1 deg. (or whatever) of toe in the air using droop block XYZ, it will end up being zero toe on the ground resting with a battery pack, etc.

3DFLYER 12-12-2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RazorRC (Post 15560613)
I have one and find it hard to use too. Because of bumpsteer (as suspension compresses, toe changes) and camber gain, you have to somehow imitate the car sitting on the ground (with the same amount of ride height, shock compression, etc.) even though it's hanging up in the air. Setting it to zero toe in the air will be different when it's on the ground.

I think what people do is map it. Meaning they know if they set it to -1 deg. (or whatever) of toe in the air using droop block XYZ, it will end up being zero toe on the ground resting with a battery pack, etc.

For sure makes sense, 🤔 maybe by eye is the way to go 😂

Sir 51D3WAYS 12-12-2019 04:06 PM

Vernier calipers to make sure the tie rods are both equal length. Then be VERY CAREFUL to adjust the linkages evenly on both sides when I want to adjust. E.g. 1/2 turn on the left, then 1/2 turn on the right, and so on.

tomkatn 12-12-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS (Post 15560644)
Vernier calipers to make sure the tie rods are both equal length. Then be VERY CAREFUL to adjust the linkages evenly on both sides when I want to adjust. E.g. 1/2 turn on the left, then 1/2 turn on the right, and so on.

With all due respect, if your steering links measure the same length, all that means is your steering links are the same length … they can be matching in length and you are in a toe-out situation, and a matching length when you are in a toe-in situation … you would need to know the measurement that dictates 'zero' toe, and use/repeat that for your beginning measurement, and then hope that nothing has been bent/damaged since the 'zero' was established … But, if this way is working for you, perfect! ... but for anyone else reading the caveat of knowing 'zero' probably needs to be mentioned ...

I use a simple set-up board (flat piece of sheetrock) with parallel lines drawn on it that the chassis sits between in race trim, and I can pretty much see at a glance if I am close or there is an issue, and then a quick check with either a tape measure comparing front and back of front tires, and maybe a check of steering links to make sure left steering link is a hair shorter ( if I want slight toe out on LF, I only run oval) if I suspect damage ... FWIW, on initial car set-up, the measurements are taken on steering links, with servo centered, that Sir 51D3WAYS is speaking about above ...

It doesn't matter which way works for someone, the key is that you are consistent with it ... and hopefully it will be in a manner that will help identify damage or other issues that may have developed ...

JMHO ... as always

3DFLYER 12-12-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by tomkatn (Post 15560666)
With all due respect, if your steering links measure the same length, all that means is your steering links are the same length … they can be matching in length and you are in a toe-out situation, and a matching length when you are in a toe-in situation … you would need to know the measurement that dictates 'zero' toe, and use/repeat that for your beginning measurement, and then hope that nothing has been bent/damaged since the 'zero' was established … But, if this way is working for you, perfect! ... but for anyone else reading the caveat of knowing 'zero' probably needs to be mentioned ...

I use a simple set-up board (flat piece of sheetrock) with parallel lines drawn on it that the chassis sits between in race trim, and I can pretty much see at a glance if I am close or there is an issue, and then a quick check with either a tape measure comparing front and back of front tires, and maybe a check of steering links to make sure left steering link is a hair shorter ( if I want slight toe out on LF, I only run oval) if I suspect damage ... FWIW, on initial car set-up, the measurements are taken on steering links, with servo centered, that Sir 51D3WAYS is speaking about above ...

It doesn't matter which way works for someone, the key is that you are consistent with it ... and hopefully it will be in a manner that will help identify damage or other issues that may have developed ...

JMHO ... as always

Thanks mate, lots of info here thanks everyone 👍