Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Front Toe Question >

Front Toe Question

Like Tree22Likes

Front Toe Question

Old 12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tomkatn View Post
It doesn't matter which way works for someone, the key is that you are consistent with it ... and hopefully it will be in a manner that will help identify damage or other issues that may have developed ...
That's the key part. For me, with toe, I am not too concerned about the actual numerical value, especially on the front. I just eyeball zero and then go toe out or toe in from there to my liking based on track driving. Usually I go a slight but noticeable amount of toe in to calm down the response, and it stays there forever. Toe for me is very much a preference thing, so no point getting fixated on a number.
3DFLYER likes this.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
That's the key part. For me, with toe, I am not too concerned about the actual numerical value, especially on the front. I just eyeball zero and then go toe out or toe in from there to my liking based on track driving. Usually I go a slight but noticeable amount of toe in to calm down the response, and it stays there forever. Toe for me is very much a preference thing, so no point getting fixated on a number.

That's great advice! I'll re set to zero and tune from there
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Maybe we should use lasers now to guide alignment that would save a novel..

I raced in a day where you just dialed it so the car behaved the way you might expect.

depending on what you have most rc’s Have what is considered base setup.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Wrap a string around the rear shock tower and then around all four tires at axle height, then back around the rear shock tower to keep some tension on it. Just like stringing the alignment on a full size racecar.
Johnoly99 likes this.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:44 AM
Tech Regular

Vernier camper between front wheels at the front and rear, make the value the same for 0 toe
Old 12-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I stopped using a setup station for toe and have found it more accurate to use calipers and measure the distance between the ball ends making sure that the length of the exposed turnbuckle is perfectly equal on both sides.... I typically make 0.5mm adjustments until I get the desired effect of what I need on the track.

From the HUDY tuning guide:

Old 12-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

You can lend a Hudy setup station at the track and write down the toe link length for 1°, 2° and 3° toe out for example.
I have my own setup station but I barely use it.

I mainly run 1/8th scale and I know that a 29mm toe link length on both sides is 2° toe out. 28.8mm is 3° out.
Toe adjustment is a very powerful tuning option on my car and I start out with 26mm link length. I drive around come into the pit and shorten them both by a half turn. Then I drive a few more laps and I keep adjusting. If it doesn't feel better, then I try the other side for less toe out. Once I found the link length that gives me the optimal feel/performance on that track, I write the link length on my setup sheet.

So I rather go by feel and link length instead of using a setup bench to measure it. But a setup bench is good to get a starting point when you're lost or on a new car.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
I do not like to use the radio to adjust for center either. I center everything at zero on the radio and then keep adjusting turnbuckles until everything looks good, drives straight, and the buggy handles like I want it to.
This is wrong and you will end up with asymmetric steering left and right. If your left and right steering turnbuckles are not the same length, then one side will end up with a faster steering curve (note that your EPAs are probably drastically different left and right) than the other.

Set your bellcranks straight, same length turnbuckles, and THEN attach draglink to servo horn with a 90 deg angle on the horn to the link (not 90 deg horn to servo). Adjust draglink length and radio subtrim to get that 90 deg while keeping the bellcranks straight to set center. You should end up with symmetric steering this way, but your subtrim will obviously not be at 0.
rcgod, morgoth and antlockyer like this.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

The only way you could theoretically do this “correctly” would be with a servo that allows to to adjust the Zero position (Tekin servos with DPE and adjustment through HotWire come to mind), then as Razor said, make sure your turnbuckles are the same length.

Potentially making them of unequal length is going to mess up the Ackerman geometry designed into most buggies today. I personally would stick to starting with the recommended length (as specified in the kit manual) and confirm what the resulting toe is, as per the base setup. You can then adjust evenly from there, but it seems to me like most Kits are opting for 0 toe (or slightly positive toe) at the recommended ride height anyway.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 12-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i usually just eye ball it. not the greatest method.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr.fixit View Post
Wrap a string around the rear shock tower and then around all four tires at axle height, then back around the rear shock tower to keep some tension on it. Just like stringing the alignment on a full size racecar.
Most cars have a different front to rear total widths, This method would not work unless both front and rear wheels were at the same width.