Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho MP9E EVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Kyosho MP9E EVO

Hi All:

I am new to RC car hobby. Bought myself a mp9e evo a few days back after resisting it for a few weeks.

I had done some intensive read-up such as JQ Products guide to RC car racing but nevertheless still need tones of advice on my first RC car.

Please advise what grade of silicone oil, shock oil & grease do i need for the front/rear shock and the front/center/rear diff gear. I noticed Kypsho silicone oil are very vague in their description. In the manual, it stated to use #5000 silicone oil for front and center diff and use #3000 silicone oil for rear. I mean what does #5000 & #3000 means? 5000 CST or wt? I will go for 5000/7000/3000 & 5000/5000/3000 CST diff gear setting. For front shock oil I will go for 600CST & rear shock oil 400CST.

Please advise which # of kyosho silicone oil to purchase which correspond to the correct cst value i am targeting.

Also, please recommend what are the brand/type of gear i can use on my kit. I saw the kyosho seal gear gear but it seems like it is used to seal off the diff housing to prevent oil leakages rather than meant for the gear parts.

So far, purchased the stainless steel screw set from T's Work. Hope it helps.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PC_Enthusiast
Hi All:

I am new to RC car hobby. Bought myself a mp9e evo a few days back after resisting it for a few weeks.

I had done some intensive read-up such as JQ Products guide to RC car racing but nevertheless still need tones of advice on my first RC car.

Please advise what grade of silicone oil, shock oil & grease do i need for the front/rear shock and the front/center/rear diff gear. I noticed Kypsho silicone oil are very vague in their description. In the manual, it stated to use #5000 silicone oil for front and center diff and use #3000 silicone oil for rear. I mean what does #5000 & #3000 means? 5000 CST or wt? I will go for 5000/7000/3000 & 5000/5000/3000 CST diff gear setting. For front shock oil I will go for 600CST & rear shock oil 400CST.

Please advise which # of kyosho silicone oil to purchase which correspond to the correct cst value i am targeting.

Also, please recommend what are the brand/type of gear i can use on my kit. I saw the kyosho seal gear gear but it seems like it is used to seal off the diff housing to prevent oil leakages rather than meant for the gear parts.

So far, purchased the stainless steel screw set from T's Work. Hope it helps.

Thanks.
So for just a good recommended starting diff oil setup youd run 5000cst in the front, 5000cst in the center, and 3000cst in the rear. All major brand oils will work. Kyosho America should have these oils, but if youre racing id recommend the most popular in for ease of purchase. I also use black grease on the gasket and never have diff leaks. Kyosho has very high quality parts.
PS. All diff oils that I know of are CST. wt usually refers to shock oil which can be WT or CST
Old 12-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Brian C.
So for just a good recommended starting diff oil setup youd run 5000cst in the front, 5000cst in the center, and 3000cst in the rear. All major brand oils will work. Kyosho America should have these oils, but if youre racing id recommend the most popular in for ease of purchase. I also use black grease on the gasket and never have diff leaks. Kyosho has very high quality parts.
PS. All diff oils that I know of are CST. wt usually refers to shock oil which can be WT or CST
Hi Brian, thanks for the advice. Regarding the black grease on the gasket which you mentioned, can i use the Kyosho XGS151 diff gear seal grease to apply on the gasket to seal off any silicone oil leakage from the diff gear boxes? I mean if the XGS151 is the correct grease type to use for this purpose because i can't find any description for the usage of this XGS151.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

The most important thing you can do to prevent diffs from leaking is sanding the mating surface of the housing flat. Use a couple of fine grit pieces of sand paper on a hard flat surface like a good pit board or granite counter to make them smooth. Also, always tighten your diffs down in a cross pattern like you would with lug nuts on a car. Don't run the first screw all the way down tight followed by the second screw, etc. Small increments on each in a star pattern once the screws begin to snug up on the diff. Make sure you don't have oil in the screw holes either.
Take care
Old 12-15-2019, 02:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi AEracer575:

Thanks for advice. Yeah, I always tighten nuts in the cross fashion. Will take note of the sand paper part also.
I had just purchased this industrial grade gasket maker - THREEBOND LIQUID GASKET BLACK TB1207B

From description, it seems to be the perfect gasket maker as it resist strong vibration which i expect a buggy will inevitably have. Now i am considering whether i should use this direct on the contact points or include the paper gasket as well.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi AEracer575:

Thanks for advice. Yeah, I always tighten nuts in the cross fashion. Will take note of the sand paper part also.
I had just purchased this industrial grade gasket maker - THREEBOND LIQUID GASKET BLACK TB1207B

From description, it seems to be the perfect gasket maker as it resist strong vibration which i expect a buggy will inevitably have. Now i am considering whether i should use this direct on the contact points or include the paper gasket as well.
Diff fluid is a maintenance item like shock oil. You want to check and replace the fluid regularly. Best two things to do is like what was stated below. Make sure the diff case is flat, and use grease on the gasket. Do not leave out the gasket. The diff internals have clearances that depend on the gasket being there. It also affects the clearances on the external ring and pinion. It’s a good idea to have extra gaskets in case you tear one, but I’ve never had a problem reusing the gasket if it’s in good shape. If you use gasket sealer you’ll be replacing gaskets every time you service the diff and cleaning the old sealer from the surfaces. Most of the time you’ll get more leakage from the o-rings that seal the outdrives than the gasket.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hi AEracer575:

Just saw your note re the silicone sealant: THREEBOND LIQUID GASKET BLACK TB1207B, I would not recommend putting a sealant of this kind on your diffs or anywhere else for that matter. 1. it'll make an awful mess and more than likely get into the internal gears and foul things up. That stuff cures to a rubber like normal silicone - that's not what you need with small moving parts. 2. if the manufacturer / pros aren't already doing it there's a reason. Personally, I use a silicone grease like https://www.mektronics.com.au/super-...ease-3-oz.htmln, the suggestions above are also fine.

I also use a very small drill bit to drill holes through the bottom of where the screws go. This allows any oil to escape if it got in during filling. You can also bleed the front/rear diffs using the grub screw if you've overfilled. if this is a first kit then there's plenty of youtube videos on filling diffs.

Finally, always keep the oils the same brand. while Associated may say 550CST it will not be the same as Kyosho 550CST. What temperature they test their fluids to determine their CST may vary. i find the associated oils heavier for any given CST to the equivalent Kyosho oil.

The EVO is great right out of the box. You've made a very good choice. Final note: there's a dedicated thread for any EVO questions.