Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Picked up an ECX Circuit. What now? >

Picked up an ECX Circuit. What now?

Picked up an ECX Circuit. What now?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Picked up an ECX Circuit. What now?

Hi, everyone. I found a $3.00 EXC Circuit at the thrift store today. It does not have a controller or battery charger.

I'm new at this, and I'm not sure what to do next.

Online, I've seen both the Spektrum DX2E and the Spektrum STX2 as the controller for this car. Are they both compatible? Is one controller preferable over the other?

Also, I read on this forum that the Circuit has been released in different versions over the years. How can I know which version I have? Or does it matter?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh, I can add that I think this is the 2WD model. The blue and silver "stadium truck".

Last edited by NewAtRC; 12-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of those transmitters is a stick type, the other is a pistol. Get what you feel comfortable with. Battery, charger, and run it.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats incorrect. The stx2 is a pistol. Stx isnt an acronym...🙄
anyways, seems like the stx has a bit more settings available than the other. Probably a bit better radio.
Personally I would dump the Spektrum stuff and just go get a Flysky gtb3. It comes with a reciever. Its a really good starter radio. You'll get epa's and other settings that the stx and dxr wont have. Its like 40 bucks. Somewhere around there. Very very good value. As far as starting off with your rc, do you even know if the electronics work? Who knows why that thing was sitting on the shelf? I would bench test everything before you spend anything.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oops, so the STX is a pistol. It looks terrible. Lol.

He's right about the Flysky. Couple guys in my group run them. Really good stuff, and like funkydrummer said, it's super cheap for what you get.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

The flysky FSGT3B is junk IMO, Iíd rather have the DX2E. It does have EPA as I recently found out.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
The flysky FSGT3B is junk IMO, Iíd rather have the DX2E. It does have EPA as I recently found out.
wow, really? I had one years back and i thought it was just fine. The only thing I would change is the wheel spring. Too soft for me. I just put a heavier one in. No biggie. Has a good battery pack. It doesn't use aa batts. I dont know if the pack is bespoke to flysky but it definitely was a good batt. Has a standard usb for charging. But, to each his own. Why didnt you like yours?
Old 12-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
wow, really? I had one years back and i thought it was just fine. The only thing I would change is the wheel spring. Too soft for me. I just put a heavier one in. No biggie. Has a good battery pack. It doesn't use aa batts. I dont know if the pack is bespoke to flysky but it definitely was a good batt. Has a standard usb for charging. But, to each his own. Why didnt you like yours?
The cheap flysky's have non-linear throttle and steering curves, The FS-GT3C also has some stupid throttle cruise to it so that it does not instantaneously chop the thottle when you go straight to neutral like it's supposed to. I'm also fairly sure the negative throttle does not put out enough signal, and Traxxas ESC's will complain (won't set) when trying to calibrate. Add in the cheap materials and low quality, and I think it's worth spending the extra $30 or so for the FS-GT5. That's actually a pretty good radio.

RC radios are kind of my specialty on YouTube.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
The cheap flysky's have non-linear throttle and steering curves, The FS-GT3C also has some stupid throttle cruise to it so that it does not instantaneously chop the thottle when you go straight to neutral like it's supposed to. I'm also fairly sure the negative throttle does not put out enough signal, and Traxxas ESC's will complain (won't set) when trying to calibrate. Add in the cheap materials and low quality, and I think it's worth spending the extra $30 or so for the FS-GT5. That's actually a pretty good radio.

RC radios are kind of my specialty on YouTube.
Yeah Ive seen most of your stuff. You know your shit, and I definitely take your advice. If dude wants to spend the extra money on the gt5, that would definitely be better. Ive had that radio as well. Just kind of got the vibe to keep costs super low for him. But yeah, what you said. Gtb5. Btw, I didnt really feel all that you did with the gtb3 but I did notice a little sense of low quality feel though. Never tried the low cost Spektrum stuff. +++++ TO THE OP++!!! If Razor RC says, ,,, it goes.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

If this is a hobby you want to get into then check out the DX4C, little more money, but it can run all your cars and has the majority of settings youíll ever need.

Ive ran the FlySky, the StX2, the DX2E and many others and the DX4C is BY FAR my favorite.... but again itís more money so make sure itís a hobby youíll like.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

I dont know about you...... I woud find a cheap transmitter and reciever and find out if your $3.00 exc even works... Hobby shop near you ?
Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bob.less View Post
I dont know about you...... I woud find a cheap transmitter and reciever and find out if your $3.00 exc even works... Hobby shop near you ?
the ones we're suggesting ARE cheap... The transmitters that We and razor are suggesting is kind of a middle ground with that in mind. I don't think he wants to spend a whole bunch of money even if it does work
Old 12-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

I was trying to be polite...... Myself personaly..... I wouldnt waste my time on a $3.00 EXC garage sale / barn find..... IMO,,,
Old 12-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bob.less View Post
I was trying to be polite...... Myself personaly..... I wouldnt waste my time on a $3.00 EXC garage sale / barn find..... IMO,,,
Well like I said before, just bench test the electronics beforehand.