Search
Like Tree73Likes

Thinking about getting out of off road!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cul8tr
... I've been hit by 1/8 and 1/10 vehicles before. Neither felt very good so I don't like it when the kids marshal. ...
Took a truggy to the face once at a race, guy couldn't control his car and came the first jump all off center and as I turned to look while marshalling another, *BAM*!

someone told me they actually got a photo of it. Still managed to race, marshall,etc but head was ringing the whole day, burning sensation and the 1.5 hr drive home was interesting.

I would say another option, if the person you know who is "that guy" who doesn't marshall is sponsored, get in touch with their sponsor. May be a good way to see if it matters to the sponsor more that they are "fast" versus actually being a good representative of the sponsor by their actions.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We had to drive a guy to the ER who got hit while marshaling. Marshaling is more of a sport than RC racing! (If you put effort into marshaling, of course). Ever since then, I make sure I bring a med kit to outdoor races. I forget to bring it sometimes and just hope that day isn’t the one somebody gets hit by a nitro truggy.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Part of the problem I’ve seen in my limited time racing. Is owners/directors are afraid of losing regulars if they get called out. Turnouts aren’t high enuff to loose these regulars that not only spend for races. But have the time to spend a day or two during week.

I raced on road pavement for two summers. Only occasionally did we have enuff to have marshals. Most races we didn’t.

I’ve just stepped into the off road carpet side. One thing that kept me from it was, to me, an over dependence on marshals by drivers. If you have cartwheel landed the double on each of the first 10 laps, stop trying to clear it. I’ve only done one raceday so far. But I swear in couple rounds I flipped the same couple trucks every single lap they did.

aspiringracer and Mahjik like this.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Part of the problem I’ve seen in my limited time racing. Is owners/directors are afraid of losing regulars if they get called out. Turnouts aren’t high enuff to loose these regulars that not only spend for races.
race directors / owners should ask them to marshall... if they don't want to...... no racing ... just practice.
If those regulars want to race....... then marshall. If some don't want to marshall, cancel the race and just practice.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Part of the problem I’ve seen in my limited time racing. Is owners/directors are afraid of losing regulars if they get called out. Turnouts aren’t high enuff to loose these regulars that not only spend for races. But have the time to spend a day or two during week.
That's a cop-out on the owner/director's part. The regulars race there for a reason (convenience, conditions, etc.) that's compelling enough to keep them coming. If being made to marshall is enough to make them leave, let them go. Their poor attitudes are chasing away the racers that would make the program grow. If they're really all the area has to offer, then the track isn't worth saving.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Cain; man I hate to hear the. Getting by a truggy anywhere would be bad but I think that had to have been awful.

Yes, the RD/Owner raced during the event. Owner has a RD but nothing is enforced. You just keeping hearing the constant cry for marshals between each and every race.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

^^What. Tracks. Do. You. Race. At.^^

???
Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Davidka
That's a cop-out on the owner/director's part. The regulars race there for a reason (convenience, conditions, etc.) that's compelling enough to keep them coming. If being made to marshall is enough to make them leave, let them go. Their poor attitudes are chasing away the racers that would make the program grow. If they're really all the area has to offer, then the track isn't worth saving.
There’s a reason Chicagoland lost 5 tracks in less then 3 years. One with no warning, one most saw coming the weekend it reopened. One couldn’t find anyone to take over once the family decided the hours had become too much. Wanted to do other things.

when have turnouts averaging 20 or less, it’s hard to lose anyone. And if one gets tossed, will friends follow.

Sure it’s wrong. But some have limited options
Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

aspiringracer likes this.

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

tracks; Marion, Lincolnton, Crouse, Wilkesboro, Winston, South Carolina. I can't remember all of them.

Mobile Hobbies a great place to race. Owner and his RD work together and it's always a good time there.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Yes, this is because many track owners have no business skill whatsoever and can't see a future past the end of the current race day. Then they wonder aloud why their attendance slowly withers away until they close. I was at a local track recently where the race director said "You are responsible to marshal after your race. If you can't do that you can pack your s%%% and leave right now." I thought it was a bit harsh at the time but guess what we didn't have a problem with at all that day. In hindsight the tone he took was completely appropriate given he was dealing with a group of adults so self-centered and childish that they have to be chased down to do a job that is a requirement of racing.
zipperfoot and Johnoly99 like this.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

OP, I'm on the opposite end. I'd love to get involved in club racing. I'd love to learn race and marshaling etiquette. I have a willingness to learn this stuff. I have the cars and pretty basic equipment(I think) for attending a race. I've been to a few races and watched. Tried to participate in a Mini-Z race, qualified dead last, lol. I skipped out on the actual race to allow known better drivers participate and marshaled instead. That race is a 2.5 hour drive from my home.

Unfortunately the off-road racing happens 1.5-2 hours away. Practice starts usually around 3pm, that's during the week. I just cannot get there. There is another shop that runs carpet indoor offroad, again, by the time I get there the racing will have already started. I'm probably a terrible driver and would hate to be the one to cause strife during a qualifier, or practice run let alone an actual race. Of course I would apologize, still doesn't excuse my lack of skill since none of the tracks are close enough to get real time in.

Hope that made sense... Lol
Old 11-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cul8tr
tracks; Marion, Lincolnton, Crouse, Wilkesboro, Winston, South Carolina. I can't remember all of them.

Mobile Hobbies a great place to race. Owner and his RD work together and it's always a good time there.
Ok, I’ll probably see you at one of those sometime!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer
OP, I'm on the opposite end. I'd love to get involved in club racing. I'd love to learn race and marshaling etiquette. I have a willingness to learn this stuff. I have the cars and pretty basic equipment(I think) for attending a race. I've been to a few races and watched. Tried to participate in a Mini-Z race, qualified dead last, lol. I skipped out on the actual race to allow known better drivers participate and marshaled instead. That race is a 2.5 hour drive from my home.

Unfortunately the off-road racing happens 1.5-2 hours away. Practice starts usually around 3pm, that's during the week. I just cannot get there. There is another shop that runs carpet indoor offroad, again, by the time I get there the racing will have already started. I'm probably a terrible driver and would hate to be the one to cause strife during a qualifier, or practice run let alone an actual race. Of course I would apologize, still doesn't excuse my lack of skill since none of the tracks are close enough to get real time in.

know how it can be when you don't have a place that reasonably close.

If you have like minded folks in your area, see if getting together to find something is possible. doesn't have to be much to get started, as you saw with mini-z's most likely can find something to race with limited space. Heck with all the malls these days having issues, we right now got a location in one for a really great price for this season.

Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer

we all were when we started man! Just do it! You’ll love it I bet. Start off in a Novi or rookie class and see how you do. That’s where everyone crashes into everything a lot. 😆. And it’s not high pressure and it’s a great way to see where your skills are and go from there. Run a few times till you win a few novice races and by then you’ll know if and what you want to race when you’re ready to move up 👍
Knockoffracer likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.