Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Thinking about getting out of off road! >

Thinking about getting out of off road!

Like Tree73Likes

Thinking about getting out of off road!

Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

We simply never have these issues in the UK.

Meetings are usually run with the computer on automatic, if you're late you miss the run (can't enter or leave the rostrum when the race is running).

Fail to marshal .... there goes your FASTEST time, not the last one but your best score of the whole day, even if you haven't had it yet.

Drive in an unsportsman like way .... stop / go penalty or time added to that run. Keep doing it and you will be asked to leave the meeting.

That is how all series races are, especially the BRCA national and regional series. Club racing is a little more relaxed but guess what, because people are used to having to follow the rules at big events they follow the same rules at smaller events / club races because it is all they know.
A bit of tough love needed in other parts of the world it would seem
dtr, DirkW and aspiringracer like this.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What tracks do you race at? I volunteer marshal all the time and do everything I can to make the day go smooth for the owners/directors. I have sprinted out in the mud and POURING rain to save a giant speaker, lifted up the side of a riding mower that lost a wheel to help get it off the track, the list goes on. Let's do what we can to fix the marshaling issue and keep you racing!
Old 11-18-2019, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

And now this happened, just yesterday.
It all goes wrong on minute 3.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RogerM
We simply never have these issues in the UK.

Meetings are usually run with the computer on automatic, if you're late you miss the run (can't enter or leave the rostrum when the race is running).

Fail to marshal .... there goes your FASTEST time, not the last one but your best score of the whole day, even if you haven't had it yet.

Drive in an unsportsman like way .... stop / go penalty or time added to that run. Keep doing it and you will be asked to leave the meeting.

That is how all series races are, especially the BRCA national and regional series. Club racing is a little more relaxed but guess what, because people are used to having to follow the rules at big events they follow the same rules at smaller events / club races because it is all they know.
A bit of tough love needed in other parts of the world it would seem
Exactly. I always wonder why the USA have such a problem getting people to Marshall but like you said, in the UK we very rarely have the issue

i think when I looked at the 2019 Nitro National penalties board there was only 4-5 penalties for not marshalling over the whole 5 round series.
RogerM likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by fiveoboy01
As stated. Start docking laps or penalizing in other manners, and things will change quickly. This sounds like a failure of the race director to do his job.
I agree, but this has only been an empty threat at the club in my area... same 2-3 drivers perpetually miss their marshal duties.... mostly because they have private pit rooms that are not within ear shot of the PA, still no excuse for them not to observe the count down timer for the next round and set a private alarm on their phone, etc.

I wouldn't mind having these drivers start from the back in the main, they'll learn real quick to not miss their marshaling duty!

Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 293 (100%+)

One thing that can help, racers backing up the race director when they do enforce those rules and penalties.

Also, have wondered if having you marshall BEFORE your race may help. You don't marshall, heck, you don't race and its becomes quite obvious too, especially if you have to put your car in an impound BEFORE your race right when you go to marshall.
dtr and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Marshalling duties need to be enforced.. That happens thru the drivers meeting and track director. DQ those that dont
Old 11-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 293 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cul8tr
... The nitro guys here race 20-30-45 minute mains. But you can't get them to marshal a 10-15 minute main for the electric class ...
This item I have always found quite "interesting". At tracks that run these extended mains for nitro, having electric guys out there for 2 - 4 times the amount of main length does sure seem to be a headscratcher.

Have wondered if you run all the electric stuff say first, then the nitro guys various mains next and they work out marshalling would be better and more fair in the time out there, or at least, do multiple mains for the electric guys to get the amount of runtime equitable. Yes I know that increases the race day, but if you are running longer than the electric guys, you by default are increasing the race day.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Also, have wondered if having you marshall BEFORE your race may help. You don't marshall, heck, you don't race and its becomes quite obvious too, especially if you have to put your car in an impound BEFORE your race right when you go to marshall.
The RD up at Indy will do odd/even marshaling... that means you race, then immediately go into the pits to charge your batteries, etc then marshal the following race, absolutely no excuse to get into marshal position BEFORE the next group of drivers enter the stand (they don't let any driver take the take until all marshals are in position as a "safety issue", typically takes 10 sec tops to get marshals in position), this works extremely well provided you don't have any drivers in two races that are back to back, that's the main reason why the RD doesn't use this format at the club in our area.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This plan worked... everyone needed race numbers on their vehicles for the race. The marshaling spots were marked with numbers. After your race, you stood at your own number from your car to Marshall. It was easy to call out driver by name if it were a no show.
in my experience, the loudest complainers when it came to marshaling were the first to not marshal.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

That was very poor sportsmanship of that driver. I always helped at the track also. It would rain I'd be out there with my daughter shoveling water and mud to get the track ready again. Whatever it took to race you know.
You guys have a lot of good ideas about how to and what to do to correct the problem. I believe like some have stated it's the RD/Owners who need to step up and the drivers step up to support them by calling out these guys who don't marshal.
I'm glad you guys in the UK don't have to deal with this. I've seen lil kids marshal at some races. I don't think that they need to be out there. I've been hit by 1/8 and 1/10 vehicles before. Neither felt very good so I don't like it when the kids marshal. That being said the kids have never marshaled the 1/8 class anywhere I've been.
It's like driving a squirrel.
zipperfoot likes this.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Just thinking; we have some older gentlemen and some that have a handicap (be it medical or physical) that marshal every time. Then the guys that have no difficulties can't get off their lazy butts and marshal. I've seen this way to much. Now I'm not trying to upset anybody just calling out the jerks.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What tracks to you race at?
Old 11-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

I donít want to point fingers, but this is something that comes down to the RD. An RD can either build a great fellowship of racers, or can foster a toxic environment for all - itís up to them.

Such was the case around the time I last raced almost 20 years ago (Good News: Iíll be back in 2020!). The RD was more interested in HIS racing than to make sure that the race was going smoothly... and if he was having a bad day, you couldnít even walk up to him to discuss anything.

Turnout started getting worse and worse, and eventually he sold the operation to a great Father/Son team, but it was too late. People just stopped coming, and there was really nothing they could do because of the poor taste the last RD left in everyoneís mouth. They had to wrap it up just 6 months later.

If you want to be a RD you have to keep in mind that how you treat everyone and handle less than ideal situations will dictate how your race program will go. If you are up front about the rules and strictly enforce them in a cordial manner, it will go a long way toward building a great race program. You canít argue with things that are in Black and White and upfront.

EDIT: Truth be told, I would LOVE to build up an off-road racing scene closer to home (closest track is over 60 miles and a 90-minute drive away), but TBH, I want to race too! It would just be a conflict of interest that would not be fair to anyone else that wants to participate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.