Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8th buggy under dog >

1/8th buggy under dog

Like Tree8Likes

1/8th buggy under dog

Old 11-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8th buggy under dog

Just wondering out loud here, I'm thinking about picking up a new car, and looking at all the brands, I see only about half are raced at my local track
Associated, Losi, Xray, Mugen, Hot Bodies, Serpent, Tekno.

The underdogs that show up time to time, Agama, JQRacing, Sworks, Kyosho
I have yet to see a Soar Seiki, or TeamC car in action (I mainly club race)

So here is my question, If you were going to pick an underdog brand to race, what would you run?
Old 11-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The biggest thing is going to be setup help. If you have local pros running a certain buggy you will be able to bum setups off of them and run that.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by brewkett View Post
Just wondering out loud here, I'm thinking about picking up a new car, and looking at all the brands, I see only about half are raced at my local track

So here is my question, If you were going to pick an underdog brand to race, what would you run?
Hong Nor X3s evo.e

I guess this is the most underdog, since its not even on ur underdog list
​​​​​​

Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skaar_rc View Post
Hong Nor X3s evo.e

I guess this is the most underdog, since its not even on ur underdog list
​​​​​​
That's definitely an Underdog. Looks interesting, not sure how easy it would be to get parts in US.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

why you want to pick up underdog?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go to your local Hobby Town and buy which ever kit says 80 MPH on the box
Cain, zipperfoot and xr70 like this.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's definitely an Underdog. Looks interesting, not sure how easy it would be to get parts in US.
Isnít that what makes most vehicles become underdogs here in states?

Iíve just stepped into the carpet buggy thing. Coming from limited on road and MiniZ racing, I can see broken and damaged parts are just part of it. Where I could go for many races without needing a part.

If I do try 4wheel buggy, having parts available that day would be a plus for me.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xr70 View Post

why you want to pick up underdog?
Its more for fun. I keep hearing everyone say to run whats supported at your local track, and I understand why for setup and part availability. Its always the same kits. I was just thinking if you didn't need setup help, or parts support what would people run. I personally don't have the skill level to outshine the pro drivers with an underdog, but would be kind of cool if I could. I'm actually waiting on Tekno's new e-buggy. My Losi buggy is just getting worn out and thinking on replacing instead of rebuilding this time.
xr70 likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Damn I can find carburetor lock pin for the GX25RHO engine can anyone help me please
Old 11-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Ur best bet is to get parts from china.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall that Hong Nor retired a few years ago and the brand went away. Did someone bring the brand back? I know that some of the Hong Nor designs were picked up and rebranded under Red Cat.

I would feel that to qualify for an underdog that the car should still be in production... AND also have some sort of team driver support with a library of team driver setup sheets posted online, FB support group, etc.

To me, I would take it a step farther and limit the selection of underdogs to any brand that is actively in the Top25 list

From there I would tally up the brands that are on the list and stack rank them to determine which are considered the underdog's:

The top ranked underdog to me is Infinity with only 1 driver in the top 25

The following brands are tied with only 2 drivers in the top 25 each, I would consider these borderline under dogs (Associated, Agama and TLR)

If I'm personally going to select a car to race I would not consider a brand that is not on the Top 25 list, but that's just my personal preference

The remaining brands are all tied with 3 drivers each and would consider them all a tie for Top Dogs and in no way should be considered an Under Dog: (Hot Bodies, XRay, TEKNO, SWorkx, Mugen, Kyosho)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Underdog

If your thinking Kyosho is an underdog itís not. Those cars are fast and a few guys drive them here in New Mexico and their setups always look great. Pricey but a great car. I would recommend them.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 269 (100%+)

After driving Tekno vehicles for awhile, along with other 1/8 buggies, etc. ended up giving JQ Racing a go after picking up a really good deal. I have been happy with the vehicle, and I like the fact that it has very good team support. the car fits how I like to drive and has been very durable other than turnbuckles which can be easily replaced. May be worth looking into, especially used as they go for good prices that route.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
The top ranked underdog to me is Infinity with only 1 driver in the top 25
They do not even have an offroad car (yet).
Old 11-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

I think it would be most fun to think “rare unicorn” rather than Underdog. You get to have a unique car that gathers a lot of attention, but that still has parts support and is competitive. I know Agama andSworkz are top level kits (and are on Bill’s list above), but I have never seen either, so that is the type of thing that would personally catch my attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.