Wiki Posts
Search

ESC questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default ESC questions

I have been getting into racing stock electric buggies lately but can't seem to keep up with everyone else. I have a B4 and a new Monster Stock motor, same gearing as everyone else and I just can't keep up with them. They have been asking me which ESC I have and I tell them it's a Novak Rooster. They're saying the rooster is junk and I should get a better one but being a nitro guy, I have no clue. Is the Novak Rooster really junk and what is a good middle of the road ESC to use?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

novak just re released gt7 for a pretty good price around the $120 range
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Howard C.
novak just re released gt7 for a pretty good price around the $120 range
might as well pay $30 more and get the GTX. the GT7 is a good speedo though. i would go with the gtx cause its smaller but thats just a personal preferance
Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What batteries are you running?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

I got some GP 3300's.

The stickers have some numbers I don't understand yet. They're all 1.187 volts or very close to that. I'm not sure how the seconds relate yet but they're just over 400.

I still have more research to do on batteries and such. Sheesh, my nitro cars are MUCH easier.....lol
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 PM
RCTech Member #2

For voltage, the higher number, the better. Generally voltage and internal resistance tend to reflect eachother oppositely. More resistance means you'll have less voltage, and vice versi.

The "seconds" is the run time, or how long the battery will last at the given discharge amps. Usually 30a.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, I'm still wondering if my Novak Rooster ESC is any good. It works fine. Not sure if I wanna spend 100+ dollars on a new ESC if I dont have to. Maybe I'll get one of those cheap duratrax ESC's and see if there is any difference. I thought the Rooster line was a pretty good ESC.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I got a Novak GT7 for $55 used on the for sale forum on this site and it works great. I have a buddie who has one he might sell for around that price. let me know if your interested.

If your racing stock, Batteries have alot to do with it. So does cutting you comm every couple of runs and using F brushes.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks! That is a great deal but unfortunately, I wont have any money to spend for 2 weeks. If it's still available then, I will take it off your hands.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

I know i'm sounding like a broken record, but you get what you pay for. If you want to keep up, or go pass the others, IMO you need a GT7 or GTX. You may want ot check LRP's IPC ProSport ot Super Sport.

Rated Current (how fast the esc can transfer power from the battiers to the Motor) is one of the main specs. you look for when buying a ESC. Where GT7 and GTX are in the high 650A to 700A, for $120 to $160. IPC's are 230A to 340A. hence you get what you pay for. Where the Rooster you are asking about is only 100A, VERY SLOW.

That is my 2 coins.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

heres few pages i found bookmarked away
good info and comparison of diffrent esc
im also on a budget and shop mainly on sale/trade forums seen some gt7 for around $50 but then they are hard to actually get since everybody always wanting them and not too many popsup for sale unless you could take off work and sleep at your keyboard for a week(probly loose your job)
just get whats available like cyclones esc
what you need to look for is VERY LOW On-Resistance* (ohms) anything .000** is good for racing
ESC Comparison Guide
LRP Quantum Pro Sport REVIEW
also look to the right of that page "Technical Articles" very good read lots of useful info on importance of batteries, batt connectors, charging/discharging, motor tips triks pretty much everything to get you going FAST
hope this help
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thaixeon76
what you need to look for is VERY LOW On-Resistance* (ohms) anything .000** is good for racing
IMO, to get a ESC in the milyohms (.000**) you will be paying at lease $100 for new. BTW Resistance is a big factor in how fast you can run. The more resistance the less voltage you will have. But anything close to a milyohm is almost a short. Which is a good thing for ESC.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I highly doubt the ESC is your trouble at all. Probably not your batteries either.

First thing to know in any stock class - everyone is cheating lol.
Are they just blowing by you at the end of the straights or passing you in the corners? If you race outdoor nitro offroad and go indoor electric I have found it to be night and day different especially when the other guys only race indoor high traction. Takes some time getting used to.

Novak Rooster is fine, just a little bigger than some but that extra weight cant be the trouble. Let the fastest guy at the track drive yours and see what he says.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

They're blowing by me on the straight. I also get passed in the corners and other slower parts of the track but thats me and my crappy driving but on the straights and the start of the race, they leave me in the dust. I'm sure some of them are cheating with a bigger motor even though they say they only have a stock motor in there. Maybe they're ALL cheating but me....LOL.

I'm still placing on the podium most of the time since I hardly crash and they crash a lot.

Thanks for the links to the ESC's, I'll study that and make a decision on what ESC to get.