Wiki Posts
Search

Trophy Rat

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Trophy Rat

Ok my deal on the prosc10 did not work out but found a deal on a trophy Rat
would this work for sct with putting a pro-line Flo-Tel fusion body on it?
pros and cons?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by White ear
Ok my deal on the prosc10 did not work out but found a deal on a trophy Rat
would this work for sct with putting a pro-line Flo-Tel fusion body on it?
pros and cons?
Are you getting a deal on a Trophy Rat or something?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
Are you getting a deal on a Trophy Rat or something?
just found one on eBay for $200 lipo kit says new in box
the guy who had the prosc10 for me had his toolbox and the car taken yesterday so am trying to figure out a new deal
Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im guessing but I bet you can get a sct body to fit pretty close. Of course a sct body wont just plop on it without getting new body posts and a bit of fabrication. You have to remember that this rat truck thing is sold for the body. There is that Reflex desert runner kind of thing as well with a similar design feature. Although its " based" off of a kit platform, this rtr is a gimmick meant to sell more kits. Im not saying its a bad thing. But its its Associateds way of expanding their market.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Im guessing but I bet you can get a sct body to fit pretty close. Of course a sct body wont just plop on it without getting new body posts and a bit of fabrication. You have to remember that this rat truck thing is sold for the body. There is that Reflex desert runner kind of thing as well with a similar design feature. Although its " based" off of a kit platform, this rtr is a gimmick meant to sell more kits. Im not saying its a bad thing. But its its Associateds way of expanding their market.
ok thanks I looked at doing a kit but when I added up the numbers it just isn’t in my budget at this time maybe I will hold off til I find a deal on a roller and build from there
Old 09-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pretty much same, but you will need bumpers, nerf bars, and possibly front body posts. Basically the opposite of this:

Old 09-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RazorRC
Pretty much same, but you will need bumpers, nerf bars, and possibly front body posts. Basically the opposite of this:

https://youtu.be/qsTEUt3TEYw
ok thanks saw one of these on eBay to
it was $225 lipo kit
Old 09-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

You dont necessarily need a sct body if your going to run sportsman. Its just you run a higher risk of crashing if you get into someone with the exposed wheels. You would run the same risks if you were driving anything other than a sct anyways. So dont worry about it. Unless for some reason you want to keep that body clean, I would just run that body until you need to replace it then go get whatever you want and make it fit.....
Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

You dont necessarily need a sct body if your going to run sportsman. Its just you run a higher risk of crashing if you get into someone with the exposed wheels. You would run the same risks if you were driving anything other than a sct anyways. So dont worry about it. Unless for some reason you want to keep that body clean, I would just run that body until you need to replace it then go get whatever you want and make it fit.....
yep I would want to do the body to help protect stuff
Old 09-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by White ear

ok thanks saw one of these on eBay to
it was $225 lipo kit
Just be careful, so you know what you are getting on Ebay … a couple weeks ago a listing ended for a Reflex DB that was actually just a Reflex body on an older RTR version of an SC10 … sold for $260+ shipping, so it might be likely someone thought they were purchasing an actual Reflex …

Last edited by tomkatn; 09-25-2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tomkatn
Just be careful, so you know what you are getting on Ebay … a couple weeks ago a listing ended for a Reflex DB that was actually just a Reflex body on an older RTR version of an SC10 … sold for $260+ shipping, so it might be likely someone thought they were purchasing an actual Reflex …
yep some of guys at the track said I would better off buying a new slash local for the same $$ or spend a bit more and get the pro sc10 if I want to go RTR
another guy sent me a link to tower Hobbies showing me I could get a kit on the payment plan then buy the electronics on the plan and could be ready for next season have not found a indoor track here yet to run and only have like 5 or 6 races left this fall yet at the track so may be better off doing a build
Old 09-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

IMO, a kit is going to be your best bet. They're is every advantage to it. An rtr has the convenience of being built already and lower cost. Thats pretty much it. I dont know of any other reasons why an rtr would be favorable over a kit. Not saying rtr is a bad choice. Some people have no other options. Rc racing is expensive. We all say that. It can be extremely expensive or moderately. But it DOES cost a bit. If your serious about being competitive, a kit is going to give you the best chances of having fun. Its no fun on the other hand, to fight an ill handling rtr around a track.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

IMO, a kit is going to be your best bet. They're is every advantage to it. An rtr has the convenience of being built already and lower cost. Thats pretty much it. I dont know of any other reasons why an rtr would be favorable over a kit. Not saying rtr is a bad choice. Some people have no other options. Rc racing is expensive. We all say that. It can be extremely expensive or moderately. But it DOES cost a bit. If your serious about being competitive, a kit is going to give you the best chances of having fun. Its no fun on the other hand, to fight an ill handling rtr around a track.
fast update turns out the truck I had lined up was found along with his toolbox he found out the trash guy had picked it up the company got the truck checked and found the stuff toolbox was ok but the prosc10 is totally trashed trash company is giving him list price for it. Bad for me but that helped him it covers his new kit that he had gotten that let him sell this one
he did tell me that he would help me build if I go kit as did some others
Old 09-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

There is really nothing wrong with a RTR vehicle (from a mfg). to race competitively, where they tend to fall a bit short would be in the electronic package and maybe tires and shocks/adjustability … I run dirt oval, and for instance the ProSC10 is perfectly competitive as a completely stock ROLLER, I just add my own electronic package and tires … just for personal preference I replaced the stock blue aluminum BB shocks with a set of threaded body BB shocks I had from a T5m/SC5m for quicker trackside adjustments …

Its very possible to buy a RTR roller (or slider) USED, and if you have been racing for a while, you will have a stock of electronics and components to suit your taste, and you can put a competitive package on the track for equal or less than the price or a NEW RTR, and have better components …

JMHO .. as always
Old 09-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tomkatn
There is really nothing wrong with a RTR vehicle (from a mfg). to race competitively, where they tend to fall a bit short would be in the electronic package and maybe tires and shocks/adjustability … I run dirt oval, and for instance the ProSC10 is perfectly competitive as a completely stock ROLLER, I just add my own electronic package and tires … just for personal preference I replaced the stock blue aluminum BB shocks with a set of threaded body BB shocks I had from a T5m/SC5m for quicker trackside adjustments …

Its very possible to buy a RTR roller (or slider) USED, and if you have been racing for a while, you will have a stock of electronics and components to suit your taste, and you can put a competitive package on the track for equal or less than the price or a NEW RTR, and have better components …

JMHO .. as always
if he runs Sportsman, and half the guys in that class are running rtrs, then he might be competitive. But there is no way a box stock RTR can roll with a kit.. obviously driver has a lot to do with it.. but two drivers of equal Talent let's say, stock trophy rat or whatever verse a 6.1, the kit will have a clear advantage.