Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Puttin’ the “L” Back into TLR... >

Puttin’ the “L” Back into TLR...

Like Tree5Likes

Puttin’ the “L” Back into TLR...

Reply

Old 09-11-2019, 03:24 PM
  #1  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 624
Default Puttin’ the “L” Back into TLR...

Since normal people aren’t able to post in the “Industry News” thread, I guess this forum is the closest to “relevant” for this post...

Horizon Hobby announces today that Gil Losi Jr. has rejoined TLR in a consultory role with the division. As a consultant, he’ll be working directly with the design team to work on the “next generation” of vehicles for the company. Of course, there was no mention of how immediate this relationship will bear fruit, but I would imagine that this will bode well for the industry as a whole - Gil revolutionized the design of 1/10th scale off-road cars with his ideas years ago - even though I’ve always been an Associated guy, I’m really curious to know if he’s still got some really cool ideas rolling around in his head.

Grab your popcorn, people. I have a feeling that 1/10th off-road (and maybe even 1/8th!) is gonna get really interesting fairly soon.
thecman26 likes this.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 09-12-2019 at 09:49 AM.
TurnNBurn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 160
Default

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Since normal people aren’t able to post in the “Industry News” thread, I guess this forum is the closest to “relevant” for this post...

Horizon Hobby announces today that Gil Losi Jr. has rejoined TLR in a consultory role with the division. As a consultant, he’ll be working directly with the design team to work on the “next generation” of vehicles for the co pant. Of course, there was no mention of how immediate this relationship will bear fruit, but I would imagine that this will bode well for the industry as a whole - Gil revolutionized the design of 1/10th scale off-road cars with his ideas years ago - even though I’ve always been an Associated guy, I’m really curious to know if he’s still got some really cool ideas rolling around in his head.

Grab your popcorn, people. I have a feeling that 1/10th off-road (and maybe even 1/8th!) is gonna get really interesting fairly soon.
i wonder if Gil had worked on the new 4wd with tlr previous to his hiring? Sounds a bit coincidental? Its a good thing, just saying
billdelong likes this.
Funkydrummer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM
  #3  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 624
Default

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
i wonder if Gil had worked on the new 4wd with tlr previous to his hiring? Sounds a bit coincidental? Its a good thing, just saying
I posed the same question over in that “New TLR 4WD” thread, lol.
TurnNBurn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM
  #4  
mes
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,620
Default

https://www.liverc.com/news/special_features/20386-TALK_IT_UP_TUESDAY%3A_AKA_Products_Gil_Losi_Jr./

"LiveRC: Do you have any involvement with the TLR or Losi brands anymore?

Gil: I do some consulting work for TLR from time to time when they need my knowledge."

billdelong likes this.
mes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:31 AM
  #5  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
JDMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 65
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I think this will be good for TLR. Im looking forward to see what vision Gil has.
JDMR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
RazorRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JDMR View Post
I think this will be good for TLR. Im looking forward to see what vision Gil has.
Hydra Drive 2.0!
RazorRC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:03 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Hydra Drive 2.0!
I second that. Lol
jlett21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 PM
  #8  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (72)
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,278
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Super excited to have Gil back
tony montana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM
  #9  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Mickey_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 636
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Super excited to have Gil back
Won’t matter as he has already been consulting for them. That’s like when a sports team brings in a big star player, does not make them suddenly win a championship. They need to change the culture which is really hard to do.
RandyJones likes this.
Mickey_B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM
  #10  
mes
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,620
Default

Originally Posted by Mickey_B View Post


Won’t matter as he has already been consulting for them. That’s like when a sports team brings in a big star player, does not make them suddenly win a championship. They need to change the culture which is really hard to do.
True words. Still, I am excited that they bring back Junior into the Team. The next TLR I'll buy will be my first "real" Team Losi car. The first Losi (Strike) bought was developed way after he left, and IIRC by a different company.
mes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 AM
  #11  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (72)
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,278
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Nothing wrong with the culture at TLR.
thecman26 likes this.
tony montana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM
  #12  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 624
Default

Call me optimistic, but if they formally announced this relationship, I would imagine that he is going to be more involved in the design process than he has before. If his involvement won’t be any different from the level of “consulting” he was doing before, why bother announcing it?

Again, I have no horse in this race, but I do recognize the contributions he has made in the past to the industry. Maybe he’s got something left in the tank, maybe it will amount to nothing - but in the short term, at least I think it will be exciting to think about what could unfold from this.
TurnNBurn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 AM
  #13  
mes
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,620
Default

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Nothing wrong with the culture at TLR.
Culture is a big term, but I'd say there's much work to do around the globe. In Germany and maybe even Europe, at least their 1/10th scale vehicles have become a relatively rare sight. One of our club members was featured in a domestic RC news outlet because of his exotic ride, being the only TLR at the nationals last week. From what I've heard from various sources, the Italian guy who acts as a European team manager and is based in Germany is focused 100 % on 1/8th scale and decided not to import the 22 5.0 dirt car. There are a few guys left running TLR stuff in our region, maybe because they have a contract of sorts, but they did not bother to turn up at the nationals. It is such a pity because I feel TLR's products are on par with the competition and few racers seem to appreciate it because of bad communication, management and distribution channels. To me, Team Losi (and that's what I will call it again) has been one of the most iconic RC brands since I started with the hobby in the late 80s, and it surely deserves a better market presence.
mes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:18 PM
  #14  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
RazorRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mes View Post
Culture is a big term, but I'd say there's much work to do around the globe. In Germany and maybe even Europe, at least their 1/10th scale vehicles have become a relatively rare sight. One of our club members was featured in a domestic RC news outlet because of his exotic ride, being the only TLR at the nationals last week. From what I've heard from various sources, the Italian guy who acts as a European team manager and is based in Germany is focused 100 % on 1/8th scale and decided not to import the 22 5.0 dirt car. There are a few guys left running TLR stuff in our region, maybe because they have a contract of sorts, but they did not bother to turn up at the nationals. It is such a pity because I feel TLR's products are on par with the competition and few racers seem to appreciate it because of bad communication, management and distribution channels. To me, Team Losi (and that's what I will call it again) has been one of the most iconic RC brands since I started with the hobby in the late 80s, and it surely deserves a better market presence.
Do you guys feel that Xray is #2 in popularity at the club level in the US (after AE) now? I used to feel it was TLR, now I'm not so sure.
RazorRC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
  #15  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
TurnNBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 624
Default

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Do you guys feel that Xray is #2 in popularity at the club level in the US (after AE) now? I used to feel it was TLR, now I'm not so sure.
As someone just returning to the hobby after a long time, I feel like the “culture” as a whole has experienced a big shift. Meaning, the amount of investment in “Factory drivers” appears to have waned compared to years ago. On the one hand, I’d blame it on an industry slump, but even when I last ran, the difference between when I got into the hobby (which was booming in the late 80’s- early 90’s was vastly different to how I saw it between 2000-2003 when I had to hang up my radio. Whereas you spoke of factory drivers by the half-dozens years ago, it seems (to me anyway) that the teams are investing heavily on one, maybe two guys.

For Associated, Spencer Rivkin comes to mind - and granted, he’s not even an Associated/Reedy driver - perhaps due to the need for Pro drivers to diversify in the modern age for the purpose of multiple revenue streams. I was a bit surprised about Cavaleiri’s move away from Associated, especially after so many years (I could probably say likewise about Jared Tebo and his Kyosho affiliation) but TBH, I’m not sure if it was a matter of the companies scaling back on costs, or driver’s feeling the need to move on to better their personal situations.

TLR seems to have scaled back significantly in the HH era - In catching up with going ons, I noticed that Adam Drake had left TLR. You could say that he probably might have beeen the equivalent of a “lifer” in Pro Sports - the guy who ends up playing for the same team his entire career. So it was kinda shocking to see him at Mugen. And to be honest, maybe Mugen seiki is better as a result. So many drivers once upon a time, and now it’s like Dakotah Phend is left alone holding the banner.

Xray is an interesting story, because they seem to want to aggressively capture significant market share, not to mention that Yokomo also made some bold moves in acquiring some top talent in Ryan Maifield and Lee Martin over in the UK.

Anyway, crazy Off-Topic, I know, and I apologize - but in some way, I can’t help but think that it’s somewhat relevant if you want to bring “culture” into the discussion - and it’s not just when talking about TLR.


TurnNBurn is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service