Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Duratrax Evader EXT Resurrection >

Duratrax Evader EXT Resurrection

Duratrax Evader EXT Resurrection

Old 09-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Duratrax Evader EXT Resurrection

Have recently started showing a lot of interest in this hobby, my main hobby is building computers. I have inherited a Duratrax Evader EXT which is bone stock besides the suspension. There is a local track with carpet for 1/10 scale buggy or 2WD ST. I would really like to bring this thing back to life and most likely use it at the stock class of 17.5, but will try any motor if it requires some additional strength. It is AM, so I would need to switch it to 2.4 and it also has the stock motor, which is a brushed 20 turn. Can anyone recommend the various items I would need in order to get this to a pretty decent indoor racer? Just from entry level researching I know that I will need a new ESC/Motor as well as a transmitter and receiver.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Welcome to the hobby!

I started out with a pair of DTX Evader EXT's to get my son and me into club racing back around 10 years ago. Basically the car is a rebranded Losi XXT, however the quality of plastic from Losi to DTX was changed drastically to where I found my EXT's just couldn't hold up to the rigors of racing. I found far too many parts often went on back order and my EXT's spent more time waiting for parts to come back in stock than they actually were able to race on the track.... I never made it a single race day without at least 1 (or more) part failures. I slowly started upgrading to genuine Losi XXT parts and most of my pain points started to improve, but by the time I started to add up all my running expenses I soon realized that I would've been so much better off if I had simply bought a quality race grade design in the first place.

Common parts that I broke:
Shock caps
Shock bodies
Shock shafts
Shock towers both front and rear
Body mounts
Chassis
Chassis Plate
Arms (front and rear)
Steering rack
Idler gears (went through these like candy)

Within 6 months I dumped close to $1K in parts and upgrades, it was a gaping money pit to maintain

Not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but just trying to help prepare you of what to expect and share my experience so that hopefully you can learn from what I perceive as my mistakes.

If I could do it over again, I would've picked a quality name brand and be sure to stay with a modern design that still has parts on the wall at your track. Talk to the local pros, find the guys who are wearing shirts with their names printed on the back; introduce yourself and explain your situation. Talk to different guys who represent different brands, then go buy the brand which matches the guy who seems to be most knowledgeable and willing to help you get started. These "brand ambassadors" will help tune your truck to suit your needs and make sure you don't make any of the N00b mistakes like I did when I first get started

Every track is different, but in our area the most popular brands currently are PR Racing, TEKNO, AE and XRay, hopefully there are a couple of pro drivers representing one of these brands in your area

Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

As a kid I had 2 DTX evaders and once the front arms were replaced with the graphite ones, they were indestructible!

the other thing to watch out for is the gearbox when you are putting a brushless system in it
Old 09-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

For the money you’d spend on parts and time you’d spend looking for parts, I’d say save a bit more and pick up one of the newer Losi offerings, whether it be the 22 or ten chassis. At least you don’t have to depend on eBay for parts...also buying 10 year old plastics...and eventually you can put every TLR part on it from the higher end of those chassis’ and build out a sleeper beast. But what do I know. I just run my 2wd rustler as my daily.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Burst the bubble even more?

I'd first look for tranny parts. That would be the biggest obstacle that I see. They are harder, and harder to find. Not to mention the EXT diff is not sealed/tunable. I'm all for just going the track to have fun, but also gotta have parts support to keep the fun going. The Evader had it's time. The "good" parts gone. There is one person I know of that put a Losi 22S SCT gearbox/all metal gear tranny on their EXT. It's not a 100% perfect bolt-on, but it's one of those last resort type of deals for those of us that desire to keep their DXTs going

If it were me, I'd get a used platform from someone at the track.