Like Tree22Likes

Bang For Buck 17.5

Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Bang For Buck 17.5

Looking for recommendations for a decent 17.5 motor for technical carpet track. tight budget so under 120 would be great. It doesn't have to be the best motor just something to keep up.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would say the Xfactor, Schuur Speed V4, R1 V21, and Tekin Spec R are all very popular, below 120 and all very fast. I would go with what the most people fun locally.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Check with your track on rules for 17.5 class. Some just require 17.5 and don't need to be ROAR approved. If this is the case get the trinity punisher. $75 and as fast or faster than any high end motor.
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I've had good experience with the Surpass V4s. Very powerful and if you shop carefully, you can almost get two of them for $120. I haven't seen one run, but I'll be the EcoPower motor that A-main sells is very good, too. It appears to be made by Surpass, who are said to make many brand's motors for them.
Cain, Chris Reilly and mes like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E-Mann View Post
Check with your track on rules for 17.5 class. Some just require 17.5 and don't need to be ROAR approved. If this is the case get the trinity punisher. $75 and as fast or faster than any high end motor.
What this guy says. However, if it has to be ROAR approved, Motiv would be a solid choice for that price range.

*If it doesn't have to be ROAR approved (and you don't mind used), I'm sure you could pick up a used 17.5 Monster for cheap. I'll sell you one for $30 shipped if you're interested.
thecman26 and advpball like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

In my experience, its really luck of the draw, or purchase. Ive had one Surpass v4 that ran awfully and just couldn't tune up without burning. Even after shimming, tuning, checking gauss, adjusting timing,Ive also had one of the best motors Ive personally ever owned, a 50 dollar Hobbyking. That thing wound up as good as any other motor. Stayed within temps, performed perfectly for years. You will find that the more respected manufacturers will have less "faulty" motors. The whole "team spec motor" is real thing. Not all motors from the same manufacturers model is going to be what the company claims. Some come out good, some come out as screamers. And some wont tune up at all.
I think you cant go wrong with any major manufacturers current 17.5.
the Trinity revtec seems to be top dog for max speed. You have an option of an Outlaw motor if your lhs doesnt have roar restrictions. Orion Ultimate stock, SMC Lowrider, Reedy S+, TekinGen3, to name a few real winders.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
You will find that the more respected manufacturers will have less "faulty" motors. The whole "team spec motor" is real thing. .
Fair point, though I sometimes feel that the "team spec motor" strategy is an excuse to sell the faulty motors at full price.
Most of the Trinity motors I've had ran ok, but their sensor boards measured pretty far out of spec on a motor checker.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Fair point, though I sometimes feel that the "team spec motor" strategy is an excuse to sell the faulty motors at full price.
Most of the Trinity motors I've had ran ok, but their sensor boards measured pretty far out of spec on a motor checker.
everything is a marketing ploy. But when they say team motor, they actually do take these motors and check the specs before sending them out. Some will put a tune on it.. If you buy an advertised team motor and your not sent the specs sheet with it, I doubt its a hand picked motor.
trinity in my experience has been inconsistent with their sensor accuracy as well. Although I cant tell the difference perfomance wise of a motor thats out 3 or 4 degrees on the a and b than a motor that is right on.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

$120 is a decent budget for a motor anything over that should be binned/overpriced. Trinity is kinda overpriced but good i guess, team powers actinium v3, shuurspeed v4, hw g3. I don't like tekin that much and motors are meh. Orion is decent but kinda dying. Reedy S+ is also good if your a reedy guy
Old 09-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Tech Rookie

My local track/hobby store has a couple EcoPower Slingshot SLV motors available, how do they look to everyone? Also I have been using a Hobbystar v2 with a blown sensor board(the reason I'm searching for a new motor) for a couple years, and its just not keeping up, and isn't consistent, so really anything would be a large improvement from that.
Cain likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

I just switched from R1 v21s to fantom black icons and am loving them, the icons have the top end the R1s lacked.

Fantom has 3 levels of motors I think their middle ones are $110 and 120. They are also super fast shipping wise, I get my new 13.5 tomorrow and I ordered it monday.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I really like the team powers motor. I came off of motiv and r1 and both are great as well. If the track is really tight, you wont need the newest greatest motor if you cant use the power. I run an older version r1 for our carpet track since I cant really use all the power. If your a fan of preowned, many are selling them on here for a low price and most have a lot of life left.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was in the same boat not too long ago and I went with an SMC low rider 17.5 for my 2wd buggy.
Im a noob at racing and recently graduated novice class, but the guys at my track are quite impressed with how fast that smc motor is.
I have liked it a lot and its very fast with the 12.5 rotor that is sold separate, but its also fast with the rotor that comes with it. I have the 12.5 rotor in my buggy and the stock rotor in my stadium truck. The ST is not quite as quick or fast, but it is also not nearly as dialed in as my buggy is, so i cant really compare very easily.
Even with a new rotor, you are under you budget.
The motor is also quite a bit smaller than your typical motor.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

+1 to Trinity Punisher if your club allows it, that motor has become the golden standard at the club in my area. There are folks who have sponsorship deals with other brands and therefore can't run the Punisher, though they are still competitive provided they sink a bunch of upgrades like aluminum timing ring, aluminum screws, ceramic bearings, high torque rotor.... they're spending close to $150 where you can get the exact same performance for half the price with a Punisher out of the box.

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Curious what "pretty far out of spec" means to you?

I have helped close to a dozen local racers tune their Punisher motors in my area so I have seen a fairly decent sample of readings on my analyzer. I have noticed that every single motor had the timing turned way too far down out of the box, and with the default setting I would see as much as 6 difference between all 3 phases, but once I turned up the timing to around 6.5A draw, then the phases typically got closer to within 2 apart most of the time. Maybe 2-3 of these motors I tuned would require me to re-shim and then I get the phases within 1-2 of each other at that point. There was not a single motor that I wasn't able to get a proper tune, so I'm curious if you did any tuning or if you expect motors to have already been tuned out of the box? If you expect the latter, then it's worth nothing that Trinity offers "certified" motors which include a hand tuned service for a higher price point

E-Mann and RazorRC like this.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morvlorv View Post
I was in the same boat not too long ago and I went with an SMC low rider 17.5 for my 2wd buggy.
Im a noob at racing and recently graduated novice class, but the guys at my track are quite impressed with how fast that smc motor is.
I have liked it a lot and its very fast with the 12.5 rotor that is sold separate, but its also fast with the rotor that comes with it. I have the 12.5 rotor in my buggy and the stock rotor in my stadium truck. The ST is not quite as quick or fast, but it is also not nearly as dialed in as my buggy is, so i cant really compare very easily.
Even with a new rotor, you are under you budget.
The motor is also quite a bit smaller than your typical motor.
I read SMC is doing away with making motors..........

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service