• 2 Post By slick2500
  • 1 Post By Knockoffracer
  • 3 Post By Mahjik
  • 2 Post By JCG1

Decent 2wd buggy for carpet beginner

Old 09-09-2019, 07:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Decent 2wd buggy for carpet beginner

im thinking about getting a 2wd buggy to run on off road carpet. Never raced on carpet nor have I ever owned a 2wd buggy. Looking at associated buggies. What would you recommend
Old 09-09-2019, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jrthoman View Post
im thinking about getting a 2wd buggy to run on off road carpet. Never raced on carpet nor have I ever owned a 2wd buggy. Looking at associated buggies. What would you recommend
Go down to the racetrack and see what everyone else is running. If the pro guys are nice they will even help you get the car setup and stuff.
Phillip F and Knockoffracer like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

Definitely a B6.1 for carpet, so easy to get going fast and still easy to drive to.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Also, see what the LHS carries. If they carry Kyosho, and Losi, but not AE better off not buying an AE car. Goes for the the others as well. You want parts to be available in the store if it's possible. I bought a Kyosho RB6.6 last year. When we found a nice track within reasonable distance, we found that the store carries Losi, AE, X-ray, and has a small supply of Kyosho parts. It worked out, but not really since I bought him out of K parts. Lol.
Mahjik likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

The only hobby store close to me is a hobbytown and all they carry is traxxas so I buy my parts at the tracks a race at
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jrthoman View Post
The only hobby store close to me is a hobbytown and all they carry is traxxas so I buy my parts at the tracks a race at
I would recommend picking a 2WD based on the parts your tracks carry.. Likely that will be Team Associated or Losi (since you are US based). This way if something breaks (and something will), you can fix it at the track and not have to pack up to head home.
Phillip F, mes and Knockoffracer like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Most manufacturers have a carpet platform for their buggies. Cars like the Yokomo cal, Schumacher kc and the laydown, pr racings v3 and the xray xb2c are options from manufacturers specializing in carpet cars. But local US lhs will probably have limited if any supplies of parts in stock. AE 6.1 is the most popular and for good reason. But of course you have many other options. All will be competitive.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

You can't go wrong with the B6.1 as a beginner.
Easy to drive and set up, good support and information, excellent parts availability.

Now, my personal favorite is the X Ray XB2. As a new racer they make the experience second to none, from the set up helper information to the design ideas, quality of materials and product presentation.
Rexracing and racingnewb like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Iv had ran my Serpent Spyder MHT Team Edition on carpet and its a beast. they just released gen 3 (not sure if in stock yet but its been released) I plan to pick one up when they become available if they arent already.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM
mes
Tech Master

As you mentioned Associated in your original post, the B6.1 is a decent kit with an easy to drive kit set-up for carpet. Rumor has it that it is about to be replaced by either a B6.2 or B7 after the Worlds, but if things are the same as with the previous generations, it is not due before spring. Maybe you can source a decent used roller to get you going before the new kit hits the shelves.
My current favorite is the recently released Yokomo YZ-2 CAL3. If your local track offers Yokomo or you don't mind ordering online, it is definitely worth a look. You may want to read my review on petitrc or check out the YZ-2 thread for more information.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mes View Post
As you mentioned Associated in your original post, the B6.1 is a decent kit with an easy to drive kit set-up for carpet. Rumor has it that it is about to be replaced by either a B6.2 or B7 after the Worlds, but if things are the same as with the previous generations, it is not due before spring. Maybe you can source a decent used roller to get you going before the new kit hits the shelves.
My current favorite is the recently released Yokomo YZ-2 CAL3. If your local track offers Yokomo or you don't mind ordering online, it is definitely worth a look. You may want to read my review on petitrc or check out the YZ-2 thread for more information.
that Yokomo is a bad as#. Drove one a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't let lhs supply of parts stop me from running anything that drives that nice. Id just stock up on the basics. You know what else I drove that really impressed me is the HB d216. Wow. Very plush landings, not so much forward bite as cornering speed. It was a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was thinking about the questions, if I starting off racing 2wd carpet off-road, what would I get. At the end of the day, 6.1, Yokomo, and X-ray all can win given equal drivers (I haven't seen a TLR 5.0 run enough to make a good/bad statement on it). So I agree with others, what are the fast guys running? What does the track carry for parts? Get that. I went X-Ray, and have always been happy with XB2-c. It responds amazing to every little setup change, and part durability is vastly better from my experience. BUT buying spare parts is expensive.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rexracing View Post
I was thinking about the questions, if I starting off racing 2wd carpet off-road, what would I get. At the end of the day, 6.1, Yokomo, and X-ray all can win given equal drivers (I haven't seen a TLR 5.0 run enough to make a good/bad statement on it). So I agree with others, what are the fast guys running? What does the track carry for parts? Get that. I went X-Ray, and have always been happy with XB2-c. It responds amazing to every little setup change, and part durability is vastly better from my experience. BUT buying spare parts is expensive.
I think that if you have the chance to run and experiment with multiple brands and platforms, the most influential factor of choosing a brand should be the way it performs for you. LHS support is important as well. Im not saying it isn't. Having parts available at your expense is convenient. Absolutely. But the chances of said broken part being in stock? Some have better chances than others. Lets say I run TLR 22 4.0. I strip an idler gear in a laydown trans. Well, chances are there not going to have it. THATS JUST AN EXAMPLE. NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY..Plus being the older platform, they need to start stocking more 5.0 parts. So just because you run a commonly supported brand, doesnt necessarily mean they're gonna have your part. Of course youll have better chances of the part being in stock if your running the latest model...I know, Im not telling you guys anything you dont know already. But thats what I thought of after I first drove that HB 216. Who runs HB 2wd around my area? NOBODY. But dammm,,,, I loved that buggy. So if I have a chance to buy one used, Im gonna. Even if the platform is 5 years old or whatever.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mes View Post
I wouldn’t be so sure about not seeing a new kit from Associated before Spring. Multiple versions of the B6.1 kits are listed as backordered on their site (not talking about ordering online, since multiple places still show stock). If they’re really on backorder and they’re not selling down inventory to get ready for a new buggy, there’s either a manufacturing problem or poor inventory management.

Last edited by xenon55; 09-12-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xenon55 View Post

I wouldn’t be so sure about not seeing a new kit from Associated before Spring. Multiple B6.1 kits are listed as backordered on their site (not talking about ordering online, since multiple places still show stock). If they’re really on backorder and they’re not selling down inventory to get ready for a new buggy, there’s either a manufacturing problem or poor inventory management.
An earlier release would be even better! So many new kits on the horizon...