Tech Adept

Default Best SC truck RTR

hey all I am coming back to the RC world been gone for over 30 years
I am looking to get in to sc truck am looking at the pro sc10 lipo kit for $359
Before I order I wanted to ask if there is a better choice for around $359 RTR
Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think the first thing I would ask is what are your plans for the vehicle? Are you looking to do racing, bashing etc?

From there, if racing, is there an active class that you can run this vehicle in, and what are the common vehicle types you see in this class?

I would then ask is if at this track, is there a slash spec class?

Right now, I would say if you have interest in racing, you may be better served by first seeing what is used in the class, and look for any RTR vehicles that match at least the current competitive chassis for that class. This will make any upgrades you want to do easier to find and be more on point with the current race car.

The Slash spec comment was given in that if you are in a location that has this class, your vehicle out of the box (within reason) will be right there with everyone else since its a limited class.

All that said if you are just bashing, I'd say see what items about the vehicle you are looking at are attractive to you, and check on any concerns with durability, bash performance, etc.

welcome back!
Old 09-09-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sportsmen class

i will be running sportsmen and then once I get to good for that lol will be running 2wd short truck course.
they don’t have a slash class
i will be playing some on my own dirt track and local outdoor and indoor club tracks
Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by White ear
hey all I am coming back to the RC world been gone for over 30 years
I am looking to get in to sc truck am looking at the pro sc10 lipo kit for $359
Before I order I wanted to ask if there is a better choice for around $359 RTR
Is there a specific reason your interested in an rtr? Just saying, if you plan on a bashing/ racing thing, then an rtr is the answer. But if your specifically interested in just racing, a kit would be a better choice in my opinion. I know you asked for ideas in an rtr but hear me out. If your planning on bashing too then none of this matters. You can find a used kit with electronics for right around your stated budget. Maybe a bit more but in the end youre going to have an advantage over a rtr. The only advantage in racing an rtr would be durability on the plastics and chassis. There is considerable more aluminum/ carbon ( non plastic) parts on a kit. Thus not being able to flex as plastic. Rtr are designed to minimize damage after plowing through a tree at 45 mph. Lol!! But if it must be rtr I would say the Associated sc 10.3. Not as many aftermarket items as a slash, but you wont need them with the 10.3.
Guys dump 5 600 bucks into a slash and its no where near as capable as lets say a tlr sc 3.0 or ae 6.1
But either way it should be what you're comfortable doing so you have fun and keep racing!!!
just my 2 pennies.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default RTR

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
Is there a specific reason your interested in an rtr? Just saying, if you plan on a bashing/ racing thing, then an rtr is the answer. But if your specifically interested in just racing, a kit would be a better choice in my opinion. I know you asked for ideas in an rtr but hear me out. If your planning on bashing too then none of this matters. You can find a used kit with electronics for right around your stated budget. Maybe a bit more but in the end youre going to have an advantage over a rtr. The only advantage in racing an rtr would be durability on the plastics and chassis. There is considerable more aluminum/ carbon ( non plastic) parts on a kit. Thus not being able to flex as plastic. Rtr are designed to minimize damage after plowing through a tree at 45 mph. Lol!! But if it must be rtr I would say the Associated sc 10.3. Not as many aftermarket items as a slash, but you wont need them with the 10.3.
Guys dump 5 600 bucks into a slash and its no where near as capable as lets say a tlr sc 3.0 or ae 6.1
But either way it should be what you're comfortable doing so you have fun and keep racing!!!
just my 2 pennies.
I have problems seeing tiny parts so this is why I am thinking RTR so I don’t stress out trying to build something
the shop said when I need help do my repairs but if I have them build it it could run into big $$$ but repair wise I buy the parts they will help
Old 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have problems seeing tiny parts so this is why I am thinking RTR so I don’t stress out trying to build something
the shop said when I need help do my repairs but if I have them build it it could run into big $$$ but repair wise I buy the parts they will help
ok I understand. But there are many many options for used kits. Great deals on this forum!!! Most of the time they are well maintained vehicles. Its been my experience that most racers take care of there investments. So building a kit doesn't have to be an issue. Also, you run the same risk of tiny parts with an rtr as well. An rtr kit runs basically the same layout as a kit besides maybe a rear motor. So small parts are going to be an issue in both. There are a lot of good people in the rc community. Most of them will help you at the drop of a dime.
Although it may sound like it, Im not trying to steer you away from an rtr. Only my opinion on whats best for someone getting into or back into the hobby. This is whats going to happen. Youre going to spend your hard earned money on an rtr. Nothing wrong with that at all. Sooner or later your skills are going to improve and those skills will exceed what that rtr can give you. Now that all depends on your aspirations and investment in time practicing obviously. Just remember no amount of money can make an rtr handle like a good set up kit does. A 1000 dollar slash cant run with a bone stock 6.1.
So I mean not to offend you. Im merely giving my opinion. So, for an rtr, I would definitely invest in the Associated SC 10.3. Out of the box its waaaay better than a Slash. You have a racing manufacturers pedigree in that rtr. AE knows racing. They've been in the business close to 50 years. As said before though, there are many stock slash racing classes. Havent heard of any stock Associated 10.3 races. Ha ha!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default What is the 10.3

what is the 10.3 ? I have not seen that one that I know of.
what is the difference between that and the Pro sc 10?
the prosc10 RTR I have looked at has a 3300 brushless and comes with lipo
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

The ProSc10 will serve your needs nicely. It's the best rear engine SCT currently on the market. It has race inspired 5 series suspension, so plenty of hops ups are available. The ProSc10 is newer and better than the 10.3.
RazorRC likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

what is the 10.3 ? I have not seen that one that I know of.
what is the difference between that and the Pro sc 10?
the prosc10 RTR I have looked at has a 3300 brushless and comes with lipo
yes. Other poster is correct. The pro sc is close to the sc5m. Updated 10.3 if you will, although the 10.3 comes with the same electronics.
But I recommend maybe talking with some local racers about the used kit vs rtr thing. Maybe youll end up with more questions than answers. You now know the pros and cons between rtr vs used kit.
Ill say this. You'll be better off with an AE vehicle than a Slash or Arrma or any other of those rtrs.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1
yes. Other poster is correct. The pro sc is close to the sc5m. Updated 10.3 if you will, although the 10.3 comes with the same electronics.
But I recommend maybe talking with some local racers about the used kit vs rtr thing. Maybe youll end up with more questions than answers. You now know the pros and cons between rtr vs used kit.
Ill say this. You'll be better off with an AE vehicle than a Slash or Arrma or any other of those rtrs.
so far when when I went to the club tonight only thing I found used was a Losi 22
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

so far when when I went to the club tonight only thing I found used was a Losi 22
hate to say it but,,,,ebay. SCT driver numbers are dwindling. Plus it hit its peak maybe 5 years ago? So they might not be for sale everywhere as before. But theyre still out there. Of course not like a buggy. This year at the 1/10 nats there was only 5 or 6 pros running 2wd sct. People think its a basher class. They have a point, but they look so cool. Also I think sct are most responsive to tweaks and set ups. I raced sct for a quite a while. I hope sct makes a comeback in the next couple years like st did.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last edited by zipperfoot; 02-11-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

As mentioned, the SCT options are somewhat limited. Here's the top 6 as far as 2WD SCT for racing that's currently in production -

1) Assoicated SC6.1 (kit)
2) Losi 22SCT 3.0 (kit)
3) Associated ProSC10 (RTR)
4) Kyosho SC6 (RTR)
5) Losi 22S SCT (RTR)
6) Traxxas SLASH (RTR)

I say go with the ProSC10, which will take you really far at the local level. It's a durable platform that you can use to work on driving and set up.

Last edited by Bri; 09-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would agree that if you are set on a RTR and don't have a spec slash class at your track, the Associated vehicle will probably fit your needs.

That said, you may find you get more bang for your buck looking online for a used race vehicle even if its say a generation back, especially from setup advice.

You would also be able to probably get better electronics packages than what the RTR comes with.

Lastly, keep in mind that whoever is putting together the RTRs may not have the same attention to detail you do. You may find it better to have someone local just build / rebuild a race vehicle for the money, especially if you buy a used race vehicle.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

Just be careful if buying used to make sure you really check out the vehicle.

I bought one awhile back that was listed as meticulously maintained and all the pictures looked good. Well, when I got it I found that the shock shafts and the hinge pins were bent, a pillow ball insert was missing and a few other things. Bent hinge pins aren't easy to detect. The only way I found it out was by checking the sway bar to see that it was raising both sides of the suspension arms equally without the shocks attached. It had a really strange behavior so I disassembled the suspension and found the hinge pins were banana shaped. I got a really good deal on the truck, so in the end I still came out ahead but I basically had to rebuild it and sink another $60 in it for replacement parts.

Bottom line, some of these used RC vehicles come from really good drivers that don't hit the boards much and are well set up. Others, are taking a beating and may have a lot of hidden issues.
zipperfoot likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.