Like Tree3Likes

Best SC truck RTR

Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Thoughts

ok if I have around a$350 budget and I am not stuck on racing sc since I will be starting in sportsmen and then moving to what ever class what are your thoughts on my best thing to buy knowing I need to be on the track at my budget and for me to start has to be 1/10
Old 09-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

White Ear, where are you located? … people at YOUR track will be the best help you can find, and will be there when you need help & have questions … you may even have someone near you that sees this and will be willing to help you get going … buying a 'kit' assembled RTR for your local application by/from your local shop (if they also supply the track) may seem expensive, but in the long run you will find yourself time and maybe $$ ahead to get up to speed using the components most common there … better yet, finding a good used package ready to go from a good local racer that is willing to help would be the best scenario, chances are there is also someone in your local 'sportsman' class that is ready to 'move up' and you could slide right into their current gear for a good price … good luck!

JMHO … as always

Last edited by tomkatn; 09-10-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2019, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by White ear View Post
ok if I have around a$350 budget and I am not stuck on racing sc since I will be starting in sportsmen and then moving to what ever class what are your thoughts on my best thing to buy knowing I need to be on the track at my budget and for me to start has to be 1/10
350 is stretching it for a new rtr. I think ae has a package deal with a couple lipos and a crappy charger for that. Considering rtr tires are basically unusable on most indoor clay surfaces, youre already over your budget buying new wheels and tires...those rtr tires are formulated for a mix driving surfaces like asphalt and gravel to grass and mud...But in any case, companies do make rtr buggies. Kyosho and serpent come to mind but not for 350....For example, I just sold my tlr 22 4.0 with electronics minus reciever, 8 pairs of wheels and tires and a box with enough parts to practically build another buggy for 200 bucks. 17.5 buggy is a very expensive class brand new. But theres a ton, I mean a ton of used 2wd buggies out there. Look hard enough and be patient and you'll be able to get your whole race package for 350. Theres nothing saying you have to run sct in sportsman. Drive whatbyou can afford AND feel comfortable with. BTW, 2wd buggy is the most difficult platform to drive...😉
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Looked at some nice kits but by the time I get batteries charger radio so forth will be about 2x my budget at the local shop what they would have in my range would be slash but after talking with you all and a few others looks like I will be better off going with something that can grow with me better. Read some articles where I can do some upgrades on the prosc10 using parts from and older versions
the Losi of the same cost has brushed where as the pro is brushless
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

Looked at some nice kits but by the time I get batteries charger radio so forth will be about 2x my budget at the local shop what they would have in my range would be slash but after talking with you all and a few others looks like I will be better off going with something that can grow with me better. Read some articles where I can do some upgrades on the prosc10 using parts from and older versions
the Losi of the same cost has brushed where as the pro is brushless
the simple fact is, this hobby is expensive. Ive seen many people get shell shocked when they try to enter rc racing. Your only going to get what you give. Im saying wait to find a good deal on a kit. Youll find that once in a while a guy just wants to dump his gear. Give a lowball price and see what happens. Whats the worst thing that can happen, he says no?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
the simple fact is, this hobby is expensive. Ive seen many people get shell shocked when they try to enter rc racing. Your only going to get what you give. Im saying wait to find a good deal on a kit. Youll find that once in a while a guy just wants to dump his gear. Give a lowball price and see what happens. Whats the worst thing that can happen, he says no?
k shared everything with my wife to get started going to go the RTR prosc10 then she said we can save up and find a good deal on a kit where I can buy the stuff and build it as I can then in the end have a track and home truck
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I think it's imprudent and kind of impossible to get the "right RC car" as your first purchase. Just like your first car when you're 16 and learning to drive is not going to be the best choice for Lewis Hamilton or whatever. 2wd buggy may be the most rewarding class to drive as an expert racer, but is the least durable, most sensitive to setup, and hardest to drive RC class. You could buy expensive electronics, and then the first time you plug in your battery backwards, or don't know how to set the end points, or drop your $500 radio on the floor... well, sucks to be you.

Get an OK RC car, figure out what you like/don't like or if you even enjoy the hobby, then move on to your second as your experience grows and you know what you want to do. Keep your old one as a backup, as a loaner, or sell it in a year.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Personally, I think it's imprudent and kind of impossible to get the "right RC car" as your first purchase. Just like your first car when you're 16 and learning to drive is not going to be the best choice for Lewis Hamilton or whatever. 2wd buggy may be the most rewarding class to drive as an expert racer, but is the least durable, most sensitive to setup, and hardest to drive RC class. You could buy expensive electronics, and then the first time you plug in your battery backwards, or don't know how to set the end points, or drop your $500 radio on the floor... well, sucks to be you.

Get an OK RC car, figure out what you like/don't like or if you even enjoy the hobby, then move on to your second as your experience grows and you know what you want to do. Keep your old one as a backup, as a loaner, or sell it in a year.
very good advice. The one thing that gets me though is that when someone starts back into or for the first time, they're budgets are sometimes close to impossible. I listen, read and watch people say things about getting into racing, but for only this amount of money. Then we all go through and try to find options and ways to save people some money. But the fact is, Ive said it before, and we all know this, RC IS EXPENSIVE. There are some people that just straight up cannot afford to get in on the hobby continually. This conversation with the op isn't one of them because his budget, although very very minimal to start racing is going to be sufficient. Barely....
Old 09-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks all I am going with
the prosc10 lipo package
next question when I am done racing sportsmen what kind of class would a trophy rat fit into love the look lol
oh I loved the comparison to your first car to drive
well in my case mine kicked ass it was a 1969 Corvette big block convertible with heater and radio delete option
Old 09-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks all I am going with
the prosc10 lipo package
next question when I am done racing sportsmen what kind of class would a trophy rat fit into love the look lol
oh I loved the comparison to your first car to drive
well in my case mine kicked ass it was a 1969 Corvette big block convertible with heater and radio delete option
You should get the trophy rat and run that in sportsman. Just put a sct body on it.
sportsman will be the only glass youll be able to run it in. Rat body or not.
There are lists of classes available on line that you can refer to. There are so many classes now itll make your head spin. ( everybody wants to be a winner)

Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Just a personal opinion, I like the aesthetics of the Trophy Rat as well, but if you are going to race it competitively, I would opt for the ProSC10 that comes with the SC truck body … running the open wheel Rat in a Sportsman class could mean tearing up more parts than with a full body to protect things and more time and expense on the bench and less time on the track …

If you end up possibly running loose dirt oval down the road, the ProSC10 can make good platform for a rear motor SC Mod with a mod body …

JMHO .. as always
Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tomkatn View Post
Just a personal opinion, I like the aesthetics of the Trophy Rat as well, but if you are going to race it competitively, I would opt for the ProSC10 that comes with the SC truck body Ö running the open wheel Rat in a Sportsman class could mean tearing up more parts than with a full body to protect things and more time and expense on the bench and less time on the track Ö

If you end up possibly running loose dirt oval down the road, the ProSC10 can make good platform for a rear motor SC Mod with a mod body Ö

JMHO .. as always
ok so the rat body would suck for racing so I will go with the prosc10 and then I will find a cool body later that will work for racing that is more me
thank for the tip checked local track they said rat I could only run sportsmen with that body but the pro I can go up to 2wd short course truck or rear mod
Old 09-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

ok so the rat body would suck for racing so I will go with the prosc10 and then I will find a cool body later that will work for racing that is more me
thank for the tip checked local track they said rat I could only run sportsmen with that body but the pro I can go up to 2wd short course truck or rear mod
just figuratively speaking, you wouldn't wanna race with that rat truck body. SCT is infamous for bumping and banging. With the body covering the tires, it lends itself to that kind of racing. One touch of an open wheel spinning ridiculously fast and you go flying!!!
I loved, loved sct racing. I wish people would run that class cleaner. I wanted the best of both worlds I guess. I wanted to be able to bump and bang a little, not take anyone out, AND expect everyone else to drive the same way. Plenty of times I had second, or third because I didnt want to get into the leaders. Id rather do it clean. Thats why I didnt win a whole lotta races....AAAAND because I wasnt as good as the podium guys too,,, theres that!!! Lol
just saying, i could've been more aggressive and ruined someones lead or podium, I chose not to. Not that important to me. Whats important to me is clean, close racing. My best races where battles for 4th or 5th.!!! Mid pack is where you find most of the good battles.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
just figuratively speaking, you wouldn't wanna race with that rat truck body. SCT is infamous for bumping and banging. With the body covering the tires, it lends itself to that kind of racing. One touch of an open wheel spinning ridiculously fast and you go flying!!!
I loved, loved sct racing. I wish people would run that class cleaner. I wanted the best of both worlds I guess. I wanted to be able to bump and bang a little, not take anyone out, AND expect everyone else to drive the same way. Plenty of times I had second, or third because I didnt want to get into the leaders. Id rather do it clean. Thats why I didnt win a whole lotta races....AAAAND because I wasnt as good as the podium guys too,,, theres that!!! Lol
just saying, i could've been more aggressive and ruined someones lead or podium, I chose not to. Not that important to me. Whats important to me is clean, close racing. My best races where battles for 4th or 5th.!!! Mid pack is where you find most of the good battles.
thanks I 2 just want to have fun and not just run a truck by myself figure it will give me something to do as I am disabled I was a big rider and white water rafting guide but canít do any of that anymore
Old 09-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

thanks I 2 just want to have fun and not just run a truck by myself figure it will give me something to do as I am disabled I was a big rider and white water rafting guide but canít do any of that anymore
all the power and freedom to you man. Go do it!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service