Connector (esc to battery) question >

Connector (esc to battery) question

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DarthDad

Connector (esc to battery) question

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Connector (esc to battery) question

I've tried looking around and I've confused myself with what I've read (not that it takes much!)

I currently have a stock 2wd slash I race in stock class. 2s LiPo 50C 5000Mah batteries. My deans ultras (I think I got some cheap knock offs not knowing better at the time 4 years ago) are no longer staying connected. Tried to adjust, but only lasts a short time. Dead truck in the middle of 2 of my 3 heats last week ruined my night, so time to replace.

Also, within the next few months I will be buying a 2wd buggy that will be brushless to race as well.

What plug would be good for both applications? I have no real soldering experience either.
  • Deans
  • Powerpoles (like the idea of no soldering, but read about size issues? Probably not an issue in my Slash, but maybe the buggy?)
  • EC3 or EC5?
  • XT60 or XT 90?
  • Other?
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I’ve not raced off road. My on road are mostly deans or bullet direct to battery. My one race buggy is direct to battery.

Most of my big, 6s stuff uses Ec5. Never had one come loose.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

I use deans everywhere, because they are relatively easy to solder,and have polarity protection, but yes they do tend to come loose, esp. knockoff ones. I try my best to route my wiring in such a way that crashes and jumps force it to stay on, but this is not always possible. Try and zip tie down the wires so they don't work loose.

I've tried xt30 before, which is the smaller version of xt60. They definitely feel like they won't come apart, but are trickier to solder and are heavier/bulkier than their deans equivalent. Think carefully about wire length and where to zip tie it down.

Anderson powerpoles require crimping instead of soldering. I am personally quite nervous with crimping connectors as they are prone to connection/fitment issues and tend to make the wire fragile.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Best 'fix' is to replace the worn out plug with a new actual Deans (or other quality connector) and be done with the problem, the more you solder things, the easier it gets …I have used Deans for many years, including the old black 3-pin style in the early 90's, and never had one fail … as a temp fix to get you by, wrap a rubber band twice around the battery … once installed in the vehicle and plugged together, put one 'wrap' behind each side of the 'Deans' and held down tight to the battery … they won't come apart …

Edit to add: .. or use one 'fat' rubber band around the battery and put it right over the connection to hold connector down tight to battery … the key is that the band be already tight around battery without the wire & connector under it

Last edited by tomkatn; 09-09-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I run bullets straight to the battery on my race cars because its cleaner and leaves less to go wrong. On everything else I run Deans, replace it with a real deans and even it eventually wears out replace it. A real deans should last just as long as ec3 or xt60.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Di_spencer View Post
I run bullets straight to the battery on my race cars because its cleaner and leaves less to go wrong.
+1

I also reduce the length of the wire leads so I can't accidentally reverse the polarity, I also make sure to use super style bullets, stay away from cage style bullets because they collapse over time where you insert a small phillips screw driver into super bullets to restore them back to new indefinitely. With in line bullets you have fewer connections and less mass which also reduces your center of gravity which is very important in the spec slash class.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

The XT60s from what I am seeing from other folks here seem to hold up well. I plan to give these a try over my common deans style usage where I use them. If going full bullets which I am curious if they are allowed in a spec slash class, make sure and shorten a side so that it can't reach over to the wrong polarity post if possible, and use solid connectors not the cage style.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying some more deans and a soldering iron. A few missteps, but got it done.
Cain and zipperfoot like this.