Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need help choosing a SC truck for carpet >

Need help choosing a SC truck for carpet

Need help choosing a SC truck for carpet

Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Need help choosing a SC truck for carpet

hi folks Iím looking to getting back into RC racing.
Ive read thru many threads here including the one about which class is the most fun and it appears the SC Trucks seems to be what the majority in the thread had chosen.
so Iím in the market for the best SC truck that can be bought. I know the word ďBestĒ can mean to many different things. Iím also aware the driver helps in making the product the best. So Iím seeking the best as for easy to tune and setup, dependable and tough and readily available parts OEM and aftermarket.
With all the manufacturers of today Iím leaning on your input on helping me pick the best SC truck.
This will be used for indoor carpet racing so Iím sure thatíll help in narrowing down what model to choose.
The season begin here in October so Iím needing to get on this now. Iíd definitely want to make the right choice the first go around so please explain why you feel brand A is better over brand B and so forth.
I would really like to hear from those who have owned and driven multiple brands so I can get a better in depth and honest opinion but brand loyal folks please answer as well.
thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

2wd or 4wd? What do they race at your local track?
Old 09-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would say the SC6.1. It is the most current kit and all you need for carpet is a gear diff and a laydown trans case and idler gear and some chassis weights. The kyosho is really old relatively speaking and the losi needs more on top of the base kit to even make it be fast on high grip clay let alone carpet. Jonny5 makes a kit for the xt2 to make a sc truck but that would get expensive pretty fast I think.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
2wd or 4wd? What do they race at your local track?

sorry 2wd
Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 22dasher View Post

sorry 2wd
Only real choices are TLR 22SCT 3.0 and Associated SC6.1. I had an SCT 2.0 and a SC6.1, I think the SC6.1 is more suited to carpet (laydown, adjustable axle/diff heights, weight pockets, rear pill system) than the 3.0.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

No doubt the SC6.1. I feel the Losi 22SCT 3.0 is a solid choice but not quite as good as the SC6.1.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

If you are a big xray fan, they do make a conversion for the xray vehicles here:

https://www.facebook.com/therealjonny5ive/

not cheap, but if you are an xray fan you are used to that
Old 09-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If you are a big xray fan, they do make a conversion for the xray vehicles here:

https://www.facebook.com/therealjonny5ive/

not cheap, but if you are an xray fan you are used to that
for shure!! The J5 conversion is ridiculously good. Ive seen that truck run away from everything. A local fast guy has one at my lhs. Hes a great driver so theres that too but the way it looks on the track, the way it corners and accelerates, no doubt in my mind thats the best. But you might as well buy 2 tlr kits. Lol
I had a 22 3.0 on clay and in my opinion was better than the ae. In saying this Im not brand loyal at all. I think the tlr shocks land better. Of course there are options to "improve" ae shocks. But out of the box I think tlr has the better truck. Losi has the laydown for carpet and other options to get the truck to carpet specs rather easily. I will say though that I spent more of my time with the losi so maybe I just got " comfortable" with it. But yeah as previously stated, limited choices. Unfortunately sct racing is dying down a bit. Especially 2wd. At least in my area and it definitely isnt the new craze as it was 10 years ago.