Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looking forward to seeing this!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:45 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Looking forward to seeing this!
So am I! My plan has been to switch radio gear in the next few months, but if the 22-4 3.0/X-Ten or whatever it will be called manages to pique my curiosity, things may turn out differently...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Main thing I am curious about, other than design, is price. I hope they don't jump on the $500 band wagon.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Originally Posted by packhntr View Post
Main thing I am curious about, other than design, is price. I hope they don't jump on the $500 band wagon.
honestly I think a lot of it will be relative to what you get out of the box. Losi at least from an outside looking in perspective here seems to give you some good items out of the box for a good price. And personally for wheeler and probably other vehicles in general, I rather you put in value if you are going to shoot the higher price mark than you go low but I basically need to buy the parts with markup to get it to what it should have come with in the first place.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

If the new TLR wheeler is really close to the B74/Xray/Yokomo car design wise, why shouldn't they charge similar prices? There are tons of parts that need machining, anodizing and other details. Wheelers are also complicated and have tons of parts.

The 22-4 has mostly molded parts compared to the B74, and they haven't changed in years so their molds are paid off, so of course its cheap. A new car with lots of CF and aluminum parts is of course going to be more expensive.

So pick your poison. Cheap and 20 years out dated, or current design with similar "high" price and is competitive.

-Signed someone thats owned xx-4's, xxx-4's xxx-S's 22-4s and has B74/ae stuff now
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

About the $500 club, companies exist to make money. If the market is now pricing 4wd kits at $500+, then it only makes sense to price their new kit at the same price point. Very few racers run an out of the box car any way, so by the time you add hopups to a $400 car, you are above $500 anyway. The only current popular model 4wd buggies below $500 are the eb410 at $399 (but by the time you add carbon towers, braces, and titanium turnbuckles, you are at the same $500,) and the HB418 at $449 (but again, after you add the ti turnbuckles and aluminum steering, you are over $500.) If we stay with tlr, the difference between the 5.0 and the elite is $50, but you get a lot more than $50 in hopups with the elite. In addition, the brands are all including hopup level parts into their new model kits to justify the price increase. I fully expect the new kit to be $519.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
About the $500 club, companies exist to make money. If the market is now pricing 4wd kits at $500+, then it only makes sense to price their new kit at the same price point. Very few racers run an out of the box car any way, so by the time you add hopups to a $400 car, you are above $500 anyway. The only current popular model 4wd buggies below $500 are the eb410 at $399 (but by the time you add carbon towers, braces, and titanium turnbuckles, you are at the same $500,) and the HB418 at $449 (but again, after you add the ti turnbuckles and aluminum steering, you are over $500.) If we stay with tlr, the difference between the 5.0 and the elite is $50, but you get a lot more than $50 in hopups with the elite. In addition, the brands are all including hopup level parts into their new model kits to justify the price increase. I fully expect the new kit to be $519.
It’s all understandable, with market conditions what they are - especially with companies having to update their cars as often as they are now... but keep in mind that people are typically having to still perform some of those same upgrades, making them $600 cars now. 😳
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

The last version of the TLR was in the 500.00 club as well as the B64....... The retail price of the cars may have been 399.99-419.99 however both cars required some add ons for the serious racers. Most racers spent 500.00 for a new kit with the "must have" items on the 64 and 2.0. The new B74 has pretty much all the aluminum/carbon stuff right out of the box. The "500" club just means your spending it on the front side vs backside. Generally only serious racers buy 4wd buggies so it makes sense just to put it in the new kit. Not sure what TLR does but should be interesting....
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
The 22-4 has mostly molded parts compared to the B74, and they haven't changed in years so their molds are paid off, so of course its cheap.
Molded parts are only cheaper if volumes are high because mold tooling is very expensive and it doesn't last forever. I would bet that the 22-4's volume didn't qualify as high, especially compared to their 2wd kits. It's one of the more complex 1/10 kits I think I've ever seen. More so than any of the current shaft designs, in my opinion.

purplemonkey likes this.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
LOL read your post after I posted mine............ Spot on! I had a EB410 and it is way over 399....... car is 399 and comes with lots of V1 parts that have been upgraded to V2 parts. Once you buy the V2 parts to upgrade it you are over 500.00 and that does not include the kit to move the rear shocks to the front and a few other things. I know it really frustrated me they did not make running changes to the kit. When you compare what the B74 Xray to older cars 519.00 is cheaper. so much more aluminum and carbon now a days make them much better deals in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Molded parts are only cheaper if volumes are high because mold tooling is very expensive and it doesn't last forever. I would bet that the 22-4's volume didn't qualify as high, especially compared to their 2wd kits. It's one of the more complex 1/10 kits I think I've ever seen. More so than any of the current shaft designs, in my opinion.
When I built my first 22-4 the way all those parts fit together was like magic..... make a grown man tear up it was so nice how it all fit together. Also about made a grown man want to cry removing like 20 screws to change a spur gear..... such a neat car until it needed working on. For sure the most complex thing I owned.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Wowwww - looks like Horizon is putting the “L” back into TLR. Gil Losi Jr. has returned to TLR in an advisory role for the development team. I wonder if this mysterious car is the first product of that relationship?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Wowwww - looks like Horizon is putting the “L” back into TLR. Gil Losi Jr. has returned to TLR in an advisory role for the development team. I wonder if this mysterious car is the first product of that relationship?
He might have some influence, but the design, if it's going to be released soon, is most likely done, or being finalized.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jonnywachter View Post
He might have some influence, but the design, if it's going to be released soon, is most likely done, or being finalized.
That’s what I wonder - he could have already been working with the team behind the scenes before it being publicly announced. 🙂
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post

That’s what I wonder - he could have already been working with the team behind the scenes before it being publicly announced. 🙂
And I wonder whether this might be an end to the 22 series of cars. I'd love to see a resurrection of the JRX model names of old similar to Yokomo's YZ cars! Also, they stopped following the 22 concept (2 WD, 2 motor positions) quite some time ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service