What class is the most fun to drive? >

What class is the most fun to drive?

Like Tree23Likes

What class is the most fun to drive?

Old 09-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
Yeah, that gives a cheaper entry point but it would be cool if there was a car at roughly a Slash price level that also had some geometry adjustments, or else the vendor could sell an add-on "geometry pack" that gives you that ability so that people can learn about car setup. Give them a little more of the full experience.
At least for our area, this has been some of the benefits of the mini class of vehicles we run. fully ready to go brushless for about $200-$250. various adjustment settings, very fast but controllable, etc. The smaller size also allows more options for indoor facilities. Parts are dirt cheap, like a pack of a-arms (4) for like $5 or so.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Many years ago, I would agree that most 4WD buggies were fragile, but not so much these days provided you stick with fairly recent releases from TEKNO, XRay and PR Racing... generally these 4WD brands tend to see fewer breaks than the 2WD class in my area which is on a very unforgiving turf track surface with hard lumber for lane dividers.

Modern 4WD designs have come a long way to make maintenance a snap, I can pull every single bearing from my 401R in less than 30 min, way easier to work on as compared to the TLR22-3.0 that I used to run a few years back. I'm a huge fan of gear diffs, far easier to tune, absolutely no guessing for adjustment after a rebuild where most 2WD Buggies have a ball diff to adjust which is completely arbitrary and very tricky to know when it's time to rebuild the diff or not, definitely a pain for a beginner.

More to go wrong with 4WD? Only thing is having a front and center diff to maintain, which just requires a few extra minutes to maintain, cost is insignificant provided you buy a quality brand and properly maintain your gear.

2WD chews through tires way faster than 4WD on every track surface I have ran... that is the single most important factor why I have stopped running 2WD entirely.
The new AE buggy is really durable as well. Yokomo are running prototype arms right now (along with other parts, expect something after worlds). All 4 wheels minus the TLR will be very durable, and not sacrifice performance.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ljl23 View Post
Agreed. I literally only broke 2 front shock towers on my B6 in a year. But those are a known weak point. I have never broken anything else. And this is for a year, almost at the track every week.
The T6.1 is a great truck, it was my favorite til I went to Yokomo. Still miss it. That Yokomo body is just fugly as hell. With that said I believe they are coming out with a new body based on the 22T 4.0 body, bring back the Hi-Flow truck body!!!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thats a big question. I would 2wd stock buggy. I understand why people would say another class. With mod comes speed and some people prefer that. With 13.5 wheeler you still have stock restrictions and that whole finding that competitive edge thing is fun for some. Some guys like truggy cuz its easier to drive than buggy and usually its an open class so run what you brung. Im old school. I like a med grip track. Not too loose but super gripped up tracks are not fun. With a grooved up track theres only one line. Then it becomes a freight train of a race. I think 17.5 is way too fast anyways. I watched a 21.5 stock 2wd buggy race the other day and I thought it was awesome!!!!
2wd stock buggy is a "mostly" fair class that caters to the drivers abilities which in turn is supposed to make for close racing. Close racing is exciting. Thats my choice!!!
Old 09-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I think the Slash offers a reasonable number of geometry adjustments for the price:
Spec Slash Tuning and Setup Guide

Having an editable setup sheet is what I consider a bare minimum for new drivers to learn about proper setup from more experienced drivers to give them a decent starting point for similar track conditions. I personally have chosen to boycott Traxxas and would prefer the class to be open to any box stock RTR 2WD SCT (irrespective of brand)... the owner of the track in our area used to allow that at a previous track he owned, but not sure why he's chosen to restrict to Traxxas at this current track... I have moved onto easier to drive 4WD classes anyway, shrug
My mistake then, I didn't realize that it had that much adjustability. I also agree that Traxxas has a toxic attitude and should not be supported but another brand could be chosen for a spec class or keep it open like you said. However, if your local track doesn't offer such a class it's all academic.
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Our track (Hobby Action) recently went to running a 21.5 buggy class and it's been the most fun I've had in over 20 years. We run a fixed gearing (different per chassis due to different trans ratio) with a choice of 3 different fixed timing motors with an open tire selection. It's some of the closest and fun racing. It reminds me of 27t buggy back in the day but without all the funny business of brushed 27t motors.
Cain likes this.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

IMHO my favorite class is 13.5t Stadium Truck, enough power to get around but not too much to get you into trouble! Stadium trucks are just way more forgiving and easier to drive fast!
That being said, my all time favorite was the Kyosho RT5, it was FAST right out of the box and with a very few upgrades could be even faster! The revolutionary front and rear quick disconnect wheels were awesome!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:00 PM
mes
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
That being said, my all time favorite was the Kyosho RT5, it was FAST right out of the box and with a very few upgrades could be even faster! The revolutionary front and rear quick disconnect wheels were awesome!
Loved them on my RT6!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes View Post
Loved them on my RT6!
Indeed!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

My Stadium Truck kit arrived Friday and I've been working on it when I can. I've only got a couple of bags of parts left, looks like mostly installing the steering, shocks, body mounts, and some other assorted bits and then of course all the electronics. Tonight is looking pretty busy with kid stuff so I'm not sure I'll have it done for Wednesday night track time or not...
billdelong likes this.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

What ever class finds the car/truck hooked up, and can run anywhere on the track that day … especially if there is good close, competitive racing without all the banging by a competitor or two in the field disrupting things ...
Old 09-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The indoor track I race in the winter just gave notice they are closing, just outdoors only. this is a real bummer to all of us that race there. It was easily the best indoor dirt track i ever ran on. I hope something opens up near us???? It doesn't matter which car is the most fun, if your track shuts down.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

ST hands down. Great class, forgiving and rather stable and reliable. Sons first class was ST, and its my old stand in to get wheel time in, when the onroad track is closed.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Looks like the Stadium Truck should be ready for tomorrow night after all, it's nearly done being assembled. BUT, it turns out I'm missing a couple of small items so I need to make a run up to Hobbytown tonight. I bought a used motor, servo, and transponder online and it turns out the motor did not include the sensor cable so I need to pick that up. I also need a male battery connector so my ESC can plug into my battery and some solder. I could also use a servo screw since it didn't come with one but for now I've just borrowed a screw from another servo. Still, it's annoying that it's the ONLY Phillips screw and everything else is hex

I also want to look at some polycarbonate paint while I'm there so I can start planning my paint job.