What class is the most fun to drive? >

What class is the most fun to drive?

Like Tree23Likes

What class is the most fun to drive?

Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
I completely agree. I really like Brands like PR racing, yokomo, HB, JQ etc. People are really afraid of running a platform that isnt supported at their lhs. Hows that going to grow the industry? It might have short term benefits for the lhs and surrounding communities, but in the long run, we have have a plethora of companies and platforms to choose from and we as racers should exploit that.
Brand diversity isn't really healthy for small industries. LHS' need reliable suppliers that make them profitable. Racers want products that are reliable, have reliable part support, and perform well & predictably. Being able to get parts in 2-3 days doesn't solve help if you break a part you don't have in Q2 and shops/tracks can only carry so many parts. AE and TLR have delivered this better than anyone else for the past 30 years.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Unless a US distributor carries them, nope. I run a few Tamiyas and it can take weeks to get parts. Took almost 2 months for a set of big bore shocks I had ordered. If you aren't racing (just using the local track for fun), it's not a big deal. If you are racing, being able to get parts quickly will be a concern.
TamiyaUSA shipped fast for me but the availability of some parts was pretty annoying. The buggy wouldn't be discontinued or anything, it was their current buggy that was competitive at the time but parts would be on backorder for months at times. Eventually they just stopped restocking some parts and it wasn't that easy to find parts from other sellers, leading to me switching to a more accessible brand. Wish they updated them with some of the recent tuning adjustments for dirt/carpet as the quality was always very good on the TRF kits.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Brand diversity isn't really healthy for small industries. LHS' need reliable suppliers that make them profitable. Racers want products that are reliable, have reliable part support, and perform well & predictably. Being able to get parts in 2-3 days doesn't solve help if you break a part you don't have in Q2 and shops/tracks can only carry so many parts. AE and TLR have delivered this better than anyone else for the past 30 years.
i think if racers embrace diversity there would be a bigger pie and more pieces for everyone.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Tech Lord

i think if racers embrace diversity there would be a bigger pie and more pieces for everyone.
Unless a disruptor comes along, the pie stays the same size & the pieces become too small to adequately feed anyone.

Anyway.. off topic. OP, race 2wd buggy. Assimilate.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It’s a few years old. But here’s an interesting read about “too many” brands.

https://thequagraine.com/2016/08/19/...-its-my-fault/
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Unless a disruptor comes along, the pie stays the same size & the pieces become too small to adequately feed anyone.

Anyway.. off topic. OP, race 2wd buggy. Assimilate.
good point. Sorry off topic. Easy to do. My bad
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

It’s a few years old. But here’s an interesting read about “too many” brands.

https://thequagraine.com/2016/08/19/...-its-my-fault/
yeah I love jq. One of few that do. Hes very smart and has good points. I think the 8 scale diversity is way too big yes. But in 10 scale its a bit different I think because on that list are brands that only make 8 scale. I just think there should be more support than just ae and tlr. Yes its different regionally. There are pockets that run smaller manufacturers. Im talking as a whole. Its ae and losi. More choices and support makes it more exciting. More support is the big one.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Funny thing is I feel that 4wd buggy followed by 1/8 scale electric buggy were the most fun for me yet I keep buying 1/10 scale 2wd buggies. Go figure.

If I had to choose one, I'd say 1/8 scale electric buggy is the most fun, but my local track does not allow them (indoors).
Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Unfortunately I think this is correct. RC racing is too expensive to get into and in most places it's hard to find a track within a reasonable distance. I'd like to see the major manufacturers come together to design a class for a reasonably priced RTR car that still features some tuning adjustments, see if we can create a moderately priced entry class. From my own current experience, it's hard to decide whether it's worth dropping $600-700 to get into racing with decent quality gear. It would be a lot easier if there was a $300-350 RTR and I think we'd get a lot more people willing to try out the hobby.

Anyway, I talked with the local track owner last night and decided to go with the Xray XT2D which are on sale for a good deal right now. He's sponsored by Xray and races the XT2D himself so he can help a lot with setup and has some parts.
Cain and billdelong like this.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
Unfortunately I think this is correct. RC racing is too expensive to get into and in most places it's hard to find a track within a reasonable distance. I'd like to see the major manufacturers come together to design a class for a reasonably priced RTR car that still features some tuning adjustments, see if we can create a moderately priced entry class. From my own current experience, it's hard to decide whether it's worth dropping $600-700 to get into racing with decent quality gear. It would be a lot easier if there was a $300-350 RTR and I think we'd get a lot more people willing to try out the hobby.

Anyway, I talked with the local track owner last night and decided to go with the Xray XT2D which are on sale for a good deal right now. He's sponsored by Xray and races the XT2D himself so he can help a lot with setup and has some parts.
Wise choice!

The track in my area has a Spec Slash class to help keep costs reasonable and bring in new blood
Old 09-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
The track in my area has a Spec Slash class to help keep costs reasonable and bring in new blood
Yeah, that gives a cheaper entry point but it would be cool if there was a car at roughly a Slash price level that also had some geometry adjustments, or else the vendor could sell an add-on "geometry pack" that gives you that ability so that people can learn about car setup. Give them a little more of the full experience.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I drive 2wd buggy because it’s popular, but I’d love to try another class.

I always think that rc is one of the most affordable hobbies to get into, it’s the community that is the limiting factor, imho.
compare to fly fishing, cycling, gaming, karting, audiophile equipment, playing music. RC is pretty cheap, even with new competitive equipment. It would be expensive if it was just a toy, but as a hobby, it’s pretty easy to justify.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

AE and TLR have garbage distribution.... Durango when it was alive, Traxxas and Techno have great parts availability. I am running the b6.1 now and everything is special order. So basically you make a great point, but availability will depend on what brands the local shops carry. OP I would recommend you see what race caliber stuff they have local parts for and run that brand.

Run whatever class they have the most entries in is my vote. Especially if you are newer, more fun to run in the C main in 2wd buggy as you learn to get fast than be in 2wd Stadium Truck and be pulling over every ten seconds to let the leaders pass.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
Yeah, that gives a cheaper entry point but it would be cool if there was a car at roughly a Slash price level that also had some geometry adjustments, or else the vendor could sell an add-on "geometry pack" that gives you that ability so that people can learn about car setup. Give them a little more of the full experience.
I think the Slash offers a reasonable number of geometry adjustments for the price:
Spec Slash Tuning and Setup Guide

Having an editable setup sheet is what I consider a bare minimum for new drivers to learn about proper setup from more experienced drivers to give them a decent starting point for similar track conditions. I personally have chosen to boycott Traxxas and would prefer the class to be open to any box stock RTR 2WD SCT (irrespective of brand)... the owner of the track in our area used to allow that at a previous track he owned, but not sure why he's chosen to restrict to Traxxas at this current track... I have moved onto easier to drive 4WD classes anyway, shrug
Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Devin View Post
AE and TLR have garbage distribution...
I think you mean availability, though part of that falls on a shop's ability to plan and forecast. I freely admit AE's part availability hasn't been 100% the past couple of years. By "distribution" I mean that these two brands are the only two that you can bet will be stocked at a track's shop. They have a more consistent local-level presence than all the other brands.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service