Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What class is the most fun to drive? >

What class is the most fun to drive?

Like Tree23Likes

What class is the most fun to drive?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

alot of that to me is what people interpret as "stock" versus "spec". These days, its "spec" to me, that doens't mean its a novice class, its just a class that is limited in some fashion. Heck, even mod is a form of spec, its not like you can show up with anything you want for power plant setups in mod.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM
mes
Tech Master

Unless the driving characteristics of a certain type of car are not compatibletto the surface (e.g. SC4 and Astro) every class has the potential to be my favorite class if my fellow racers bring the right attitude to the track. I used to enjoy SC, especially ST and am a huge fan of the spec class principle, but it has always been the wrong people who ruined it for me. Currently I enjoy mixed class 17.5 sportsman the most with a bunch of older dudes from my club. Although it doesn't feel 100% right to race with the odd newbie and potentially scare off others, the class would be extinct by now if we hadn't decided to revive it a few months ago. Also, it is all I can handle at the moment with my focus on wrenching for others, a busy day job, and maybe some studies on the horizon...
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seems itís a majority for the stadium truck. In saying that now what brand would you guys say is the best overall? In your answer please explain why you feel brand A is better over brand B.
When I say best overall, Iím looking for handling, ease of setup and durability.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 22dasher View Post
Seems itís a majority for the stadium truck. In saying that now what brand would you guys say is the best overall? In your answer please explain why you feel brand A is better over brand B.
When I say best overall, Iím looking for handling, ease of setup and durability.
Borderline thread jacking here IMO since you're not the OP it's typically frowned upon to redirect new questions, probably better to hit up another thread or start a new thread

Be sure to include your track conditions on your new thread post too, that is very important when comparing brands as some cater to high grip while others cater to low-medium grip and some cater to all conditions with various options to choose between dirt/carpet edition, etc.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Personally I'm looking at the XRay XT2 2019 which is currently on sale prior to the 2020 model coming out.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
I don't know why people think AE cars are weak. In 8 months I've only broken a couple b6.1 arms and in two months with my new b74 and T6.1 I haven't broken anything.

Speaking of that my b74 has become my favorite to drive. Super easy to drive, smooth and fast even with 13.5.

The T6.1 a close second. Those massive tires make massive traction. Definitely has an advantage in some corners, in mixed practice I have to be careful not to run over them haha.
Agreed. I literally only broke 2 front shock towers on my B6 in a year. But those are a known weak point. I have never broken anything else. And this is for a year, almost at the track every week.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 22dasher View Post
For TLR vs. AE, this is my opinion:

I have not driven the XT2 or Yokomo. In general, I stick to the American brands due to cost and ease/availability of parts and support.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
Personally I'm looking at the XRay XT2 2019 which is currently on sale prior to the 2020 model coming out.
Isnít the X-ray considered a stadium truck platform rather than the short course?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

2wd stock. Every one of the other classes are modified, which means traction will be most difficult. Stadium trucks are pretty fun outside because the larger, soft tires deal with rough surfaces better. If TLR or AE are most common, get one of those (I'd choose AE for the different transmission choices). They're just as durable as anything else, setup info is readily available and parts should be too.
22dasher likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up Stadium 2WD trucks!

8.5 5,000 KV is the most i run.10.5 is the other choice.Makes the jumps and it great fun to drive.
In the summer,it overheats!!!!!!
Very easy to drive well and not twitchy as a buggy. Short course is another good choice.5,000 KV motors. gear it down,depending on the tracks straight.
Check out the choices of tires. Tires are REALLY important on your chosen track and I cannot say that loud enough.
Out doors,dusty hard pack.
With out seeing what others run,you will be confused as to what works.
I tried 3-4 styles of tires B-4 I found out that XXXX works for me!
It ended up with Goose bumps and hole shots on the front.
LOOSE slipper,please. I blew up too many drive train parts.Fool that I am.
https://i.imgur.com/dyqPOkD.jpg[/img]]
Old 09-04-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Initiate

There's not much short course at my local track, stadium truck is much more popular. Also, the owner runs Xray so I can get good advice from him and I think at least some parts too - need to follow up on how much he stocks but since he runs an XT2 he probably has at least the most common parts for it.

In an age of internet shopping I'm not sure if a US maker is that important anymore, I would expect you should be able to get parts for any RC made by a decent sized company within 2 days right?

I figured that whenever something breaks you just buy a replacement part plus one spare and pretty soon you've got spares for everything that is likely to break.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Good point! Usually a track has has an included store for parts. See what is in stock for your machine.
The more popular,the better.
An older truck is harder to find parts for,I found out.
I run an old school T-4 and MANY parts have been discontinued."Vintage",it's called.
I could build another truck with my spare parts,but not for long.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

There's not much short course at my local track, stadium truck is much more popular. Also, the owner runs Xray so I can get good advice from him and I think at least some parts too - need to follow up on how much he stocks but since he runs an XT2 he probably has at least the most common parts for it.

In an age of internet shopping I'm not sure if a US maker is that important anymore, I would expect you should be able to get parts for any RC made by a decent sized company within 2 days right?

I figured that whenever something breaks you just buy a replacement part plus one spare and pretty soon you've got spares for everything that is likely to break.
I completely agree. I really like Brands like PR racing, yokomo, HB, JQ etc. People are really afraid of running a platform that isnt supported at their lhs. Hows that going to grow the industry? It might have short term benefits for the lhs and surrounding communities, but in the long run, we have have a plethora of companies and platforms to choose from and we as racers should exploit that.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

personally, I carry the common parts I need for when a breakage will occur regardless if the shop stocks the car in question or not as you don't want to be at the mercy of the hoping the part is on the wall if its something common like an A-arm, etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Unless a US distributor carries them, nope. I run a few Tamiyas and it can take weeks to get parts. Took almost 2 months for a set of big bore shocks I had ordered. If you aren't racing (just using the local track for fun), it's not a big deal. If you are racing, being able to get parts quickly will be a concern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service