Like Tree23Likes

What class is the most fun to drive?

Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
4WD makes up for my lack of driving skill
+1

4WD is far more forgiving, best way to get beginner drivers into the mix and minimize frustration, 4WD is phenomenally easier to drive and less difficult to tune in terms of finding a decent setup. Tire wear on 4WD also tends to last longer making this the least expensive class to maintain too
Cain, savage24x and Mahjik like this.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recommend '4WD Mod Buggy' if you are new to racing. 4WD is a little easier to control and having some drive in the front wheels can help save the buggy in situations that would be a flip or a roll in 2WD.
Cain and billdelong like this.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Stadium Truck from the ones in your list.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

4x4 sct .I love rubbing paint off lol..
Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I would say stadium truck. Even thought hey have a MOD class there you can still do good with even a 10.5 motor in some cases. be consistant and have fun. Ask about setups and questions to fine tune your truck to YOUR driving style.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Giving the choices you layed out I would say stadium truck even tho you are new. Stadium truck is easier to drive and more forgiving than 2wd buggy. Also it seems you are not constantly wrenching on stadium truck trying to find traction as you do 2wd buggy. Stock stadium truck would be more ideal for someone new, but was not listed in your options. Personally I would say 10.5 would be the ideal motor to start with considering you are new. If you cannot control the power of a lower turn motor you are pizzing in the wind. From my experience and what I've been told MOST tracks a 10.5 is plenty motor to clear all the jumps and it's easy to out motor driving ability. Once you can consistently follow the lines and get around the track then drop down turns of the motor if you feel comfortable. Truth is until you get good the guys that race well could probably beat you easily with a 17.5 motor no matter even if you run a 8.5..lol

I dont run 4wd buggy because they seem to be more fragile, harder to work on, more to go wrong and seem to be more expensive and eat tires faster.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kswarrior View Post
I dont run 4wd buggy because they seem to be more fragile, harder to work on, more to go wrong and seem to be more expensive and eat tires faster.
Many years ago, I would agree that most 4WD buggies were fragile, but not so much these days provided you stick with fairly recent releases from TEKNO, XRay and PR Racing... generally these 4WD brands tend to see fewer breaks than the 2WD class in my area which is on a very unforgiving turf track surface with hard lumber for lane dividers.

Modern 4WD designs have come a long way to make maintenance a snap, I can pull every single bearing from my 401R in less than 30 min, way easier to work on as compared to the TLR22-3.0 that I used to run a few years back. I'm a huge fan of gear diffs, far easier to tune, absolutely no guessing for adjustment after a rebuild where most 2WD Buggies have a ball diff to adjust which is completely arbitrary and very tricky to know when it's time to rebuild the diff or not, definitely a pain for a beginner.

More to go wrong with 4WD? Only thing is having a front and center diff to maintain, which just requires a few extra minutes to maintain, cost is insignificant provided you buy a quality brand and properly maintain your gear.

2WD chews through tires way faster than 4WD on every track surface I have ran... that is the single most important factor why I have stopped running 2WD entirely.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Many years ago, I would agree that most 4WD buggies were fragile, but not so much these days provided you stick with fairly recent releases from TEKNO, XRay and PR Racing... generally these 4WD brands tend to see fewer breaks than the 2WD class in my area which is on a very unforgiving turf track surface with hard lumber for lane dividers.

Modern 4WD designs have come a long way to make maintenance a snap, I can pull every single bearing from my 401R in less than 30 min, way easier to work on as compared to the TLR22-3.0 that I used to run a few years back. I'm a huge fan of gear diffs, far easier to tune, absolutely no guessing for adjustment after a rebuild where most 2WD Buggies have a ball diff to adjust which is completely arbitrary and very tricky to know when it's time to rebuild the diff or not, definitely a pain for a beginner.

More to go wrong with 4WD? Only thing is having a front and center diff to maintain, which just requires a few extra minutes to maintain, cost is insignificant provided you buy a quality brand and properly maintain your gear.

2WD chews through tires way faster than 4WD on every track surface I have ran... that is the single most important factor why I have stopped running 2WD entirely.
I only run clay and as far as tire wear I can only go by what guys that run both 4wd and 2wd tell me on tire wear. At the tracks I run there is way more 2wd than 4wd and it seems more 4wd gets pulled off the track during a race than 2wd even tho 2wd easily outnumber 4wd 3 to 1 (mostly TLR and AE, maybe that is part of it, however that is pretty much the 2 manufacturers the tracks have parts on the wall. Not many people run xray, tekno here, and I've never heard of pr). I'm sure your new 4wd is easier to work on than a TLR 22 3.0.. My TLR 22 5.0 is much easier to work on than a 3.0, the AE 6.1 is even easier yet.. As far as ball diffs go it's not rocket science. If the diff balls look burned or appear to have flat spots and or if the ring has a deep groove you need to rebuild it. Close inspection of the grease is also a tale tale. Adjusting it wasnt that much of a learning curve.. Regardless which diff you have it needs to be pulled cleaned up and checked periodically. Actually have pulled gear diffs way more to change oils than I do ball diffs. And my experience ball diffs work better on indoor clay than gear diffs, so it litarally depends on the track you run. If running turf sure a gear diff is better (that's why the new dirt kits come with ball diffs and the turf kits come with gear diffs).
Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I've heard the same thing that tires last longer on 4WD, don't know what the science is behind that. Maybe just that wear is more even?

Anyway... I was able to go check out the track Wednesday night and the owner let me drive his stadium truck for some laps. There was another guy there with an Associated 2WD and while I didn't drive his car I could see that it looked a lot different in how it moved around the track. Most importantly, I had a good time and everyone was very friendly so I can see it being a fun place to hang out.

I'm not sure yet whether I'll be getting a new or used car, depends on what I can find. So, I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Stadium Truck or 4WD. If I don't find anything, there are some good deals on a new XT2D right now and there's a local guy with a HB D418 new in box too. I also found a used Futaba 4PLS locally. Anyway, I'm off to check the for-sale part of the forum and do some eBay searches, see what I can turn up.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kswarrior View Post
...mostly TLR and AE, maybe that is part of it, however that is pretty much the 2 manufacturers the tracks have parts on the wall...
that's really unfortunate, neither of those brands are known for durability which is completely understandable why you had that perception of 4WD being less durable. Right now, XRay has become the single most popular brand at the club in our area, my PR and a few other TEKNO and AE drivers regularly make the podium in our area too, but those AE cars are still seeing more DNF's than I like to see

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
I've heard the same thing that tires last longer on 4WD, don't know what the science is behind that. Maybe just that wear is more even?
precisely... performance lasts a little longer before lap times start to drop off with 4WD. Tire wear is different at every track, so talk to the locals, particularly guys who are running both 4WD and 2WD classes and ask them about tire wear.... my tire expenses are by far the most expensive part of the hobby, race fees are nothing compared to what I spend on tires, especially if you do lots of open practice! Just to give you an example, I can only get 1 race day on a set of tires for 2WD, but can get 2.5 race days on a set of 4WD tires... my system is to rotate my tires so that I save my good tires for the mains and run my older tires in the quals.... strategy is to make the A Main and fight for position with good tires for that race to help minimize costs.

I have seen some guys run their 2WD tires far after their peak performance has lost their edge, and yes they are getting decent lap times for middle of the pack, but they are also losing several positions in the field because their tires are past their prime.... just something to consider down the road as your skills improve and if being competitive is important to you or not.

I know some 2WD drivers (with deep pockets) that will go through 2 sets of new tires every single race day in order to be the most competitive for every single run!

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
...So, I'm keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used Stadium Truck or 4WD. If I don't find anything, there are some good deals on a new XT2D right now and there's a local guy with a HB D418 new in box too. I also found a used Futaba 4PLS locally. Anyway, I'm off to check the for-sale part of the forum and do some eBay searches, see what I can turn up.
I used to run an XT2, very solid truck and tire wear lasted longer than 2WD buggy too! Only pain point for me was breaking the steering ball links and you will need to upgrade the rear link mounts and hub carriers to aluminum.

See if locals will be getting the XT4, that truck is a beast... when TEKNO released the ET410, that killed both 4WD SCT and 2WD ST classes overnight at the club in our area, many of the XRay drivers are picking up XT4's and are quickly dominating the 'Mini Truggy" class (aka 4WD ST, or 1/10 4WD Truck) with them already in our area.

Be sure to get a car that has local parts support, albeit from on site shop or pro drivers who have plenty of parts at the track to sell you if need be. Look for guys with shirts with their names printed on the back, those are the sponsored guys, talk to them... they will give you all the speed secrets and help tune your car... pick a guy that seems the nicest to you and willing to help you out... buy the brand that he's running to make it easier for him to tune your car for you... he will also make sure you have all the parts you need because it's not uncommon for an on site hobby shop to run out of parts on race day, but a seasoned pro will always have all the right parts on hand

Do not buy a brand that nobody else runs, I will guarantee that you will go home early with disappointment

Last edited by billdelong; 08-30-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know why people think AE cars are weak. In 8 months I've only broken a couple b6.1 arms and in two months with my new b74 and T6.1 I haven't broken anything.

Speaking of that my b74 has become my favorite to drive. Super easy to drive, smooth and fast even with 13.5.

The T6.1 a close second. Those massive tires make massive traction. Definitely has an advantage in some corners, in mixed practice I have to be careful not to run over them haha.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Just to be clear, the B74 is significantly more durable than the B64 was, at least from what I've seen locally, but guys are breaking axles on the B74 lately, no doubt AE will address this design flaw soon

Another huge advantage to consider with 4WD is the ability to muscle your way out of a bad situation... if your car gets wonky, all you have to do is stay on the throttle and you've got a 50% chance of the front wheels getting enough bite to get your car to correct itself so you won't need to be marshaled. With 2WD you have nearly 0% chance without any front wheel bite... in contrast I have found closer to 90% chance of righting myself with 4WD Truggy because the larger ST tires will balloon above the top of the cab... it's a pretty cool effect, you have a Mini Triggy completely flat (upside down) just sitting there, then blip the throttle and watch it snap back up to all 4's in an instant, ha! The only exception is if the truck is backed up against a corner, then it can't right itself.

You want to talk about the most "fun" to drive, my vote is 4WD Mini Truggy, then 4WD buggy, then 2WD ST in that order.
Cain likes this.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Alexv2024 View Post
I don't know why people think AE cars are weak. In 8 months I've only broken a couple b6.1 arms and in two months with my new b74 and T6.1 I haven't broken anything.

Speaking of that my b74 has become my favorite to drive. Super easy to drive, smooth and fast even with 13.5.

The T6.1 a close second. Those massive tires make massive traction. Definitely has an advantage in some corners, in mixed practice I have to be careful not to run over them haha.
Likewise with TLR. In about the same time period I've had 1 DNF out of 2 cars (tooth on aluminum idle gear sheared and locked up transmission). I have yet to break an arm, bend anything and that's me getting back into the hobby after a decade off, so they haven't exactly been ran gentle..lol.. I've cracked a couple front pivot blocks around hinge pin holes but have caught it before completely breaking. Might be a weak spot to some but I refuse to upgrade to aluminum ke brass and change hinge pins, arms or chassis.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

4wd buggy would get my vote. Even on higher grip surfaces like astro and carpet, the car just feels more "right" to me handling wise than 2wd buggy.
billdelong likes this.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They use to have a novice class back in the day. I remember running my grasshopper and having tons of fun, and as i got older and became a better driver, the stock 2wd buggy class was the most competitive and the way to go.
Now days it looks like the stock class has gotten a little out of hand with electronics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service