Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why are racers dropping the EB410? >

Why are racers dropping the EB410?

Like Tree14Likes

Why are racers dropping the EB410?

Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Why are racers dropping the EB410?

I have raced the EB410 since last October and have done well with it. I like the car a lot, but I have noticed that the number of EB410s raced at the local track has fallen quite a bit. Eb410s used to be 80% of the 4wd buggy class, now they are about 25%. Racers have switched to several different brands, mainly the HB418. What have you seen in your area, and if you switched, why and what did you switch to?

Last edited by billjacobs; 09-14-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it specifically the HB D418? They sell the kit on eBay with Orion Motor and ESC for $400-450. So if you sold the electronics, the kit will cost a net $200-250. Might be too sweet a deal for some to pass up.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Early in the eb410, we were running some mods, like moving the rear shocks in front of the rear arms. I/we took a lot of grieve from Tekno support people. Also there is/was a lack of support, like ideas for Setups. Took a long time for some hop-ups to come out. So sick of, the best setup is on the website (and it is years old, yep, more sct410.3) Modes like the Stronger chassis, revised bulkheads, exec, took a long time to come out. Got sick of it, and went to the new B74. The B74 is a stronger buggy, and ton's of support. Yep, taboo, I believe the Tekno is not the toughest. But we also have had some great races with the et410's. So my eb410 became a et410, and also my 2nd eb410 became a et410 Shortcouse. I believe my et410 Shortcouse will eat up a sct410.3, indoor, with anyone close to my skill. And I will be flamed over that. Don't get me wrong. The other day I was beat by a eb410. Not saying they are bad. In fact, I believe outdoor dirt, they probably have an edge. But I will stick with my b74, with loads of support and massive parts out there. It has never broken a bulkhead.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

After 10 Tekno vehicles, 1or 2 of every model (electric), I finally picked up a YZ4-SF. At first I was scared to drive it hard since Iíve heard horror stories of it being fragile. At least compared to the EB410. But surprisingly, I havenít broken anything on the Yokomo yet, even after a few hard tumbles at the end of the straight into the wall. The EB is for sure easier to drive compared to the YZ4, as in coming out of the corners and not going into oversteer. But in the hands of a more competent driver, I think the Yokomo will definitely be the faster car between the 2.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Well the D418 seems the best 4WD buggy in the market easy to drive and durable. My local area they switch from eb410, yokomo, xb4 and they said the D418 is best and easy to set up and drive
Old 08-28-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sea1swk View Post
... The B74 is a stronger buggy...It has never broken a bulkhead.
Every single B74 I've seen at the club in my area has been plagued with DNF's, there is a major design flaw with their axles right now. While I agree that TEKNO's bulkhead design is lacking, it's by far the most durable buggy(overall) that I've seen at the club in my area which is a very abusive turf track with hard boards for lane dividers.

I sold almost all of my TEKNO's (only kept my SCT410.1) and decided to go with PR Racing which is very similar geometry with the XB4, YZ4 and B74 respectively. My lap times improved instantly after making the switch. There were some trade off's, I am willing to sacrifice durability where PR arms are not as durable as TEKNO arms, but I'm easily picking up around 0.5 sec faster lap times with the PR buggy. In contrast, my PR Truggy isn't as fast as my TEKNO Truggy was, still chasing setup there.

What motivated me to shift to PR from TEKNO was long term maintenance costs. I really appreciate TEKNO's 50% lifetime warranty deal, I would often stock up on broken parts and mail in a large collection of parts as a bulk order to minimize shipping expenses. On my very last order with TEKNO it cost me just under $10 to ship them about $200 in broken parts for warranty claim, but they wanted to charge me $45 in shipping to send the exact same replacement parts back. I contacted them to explain there is a problem with their shipping calculator, particularly around having multiple bodies on a single order. They agreed and promised to credit me the difference and said to go ahead and place the order which I did. Problem was they only gave me a $16 credit, and I know as a fact that the same parts did not cost them $29 to ship me in the exact same size box/weight that I sent them with the broken parts in the first place. Just on principle alone, they lost me as a customer at that point.

After switching to PR, I have grown to appreciate their $6 flat rate shipping, doesn't matter how big/small the order is, no gimmicky/guess on what the shipping rate will be. Also really nice to not have to wait an extra 2-3 weeks for a warranty code to get replacement parts which was another inconvenience with TEKNO. There were also many times when I was waiting to get my warranty code, the part I needed would go on back order and then I had to contact TEKNO to extend my warranty code until the parts would come back in stock, also forcing me to split up into multiple orders to get parts that were in stock which also increased my shipping expenses further.... shrug

Not saying PR doesn't have parts go on back order too, but at least their shipping expenses are a fixed cost and that makes a HUGE difference to me
savage24x likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 08-28-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Every single B74 I've seen at the club in my area has been plagued with DNF's, there is a major design flaw with their axles right now. While I agree that TEKNO's bulkhead design is lacking, it's by far the most durable buggy(overall) that I've seen at the club in my area which is a very abusive turf track with hard boards for lane dividers.
I hear Turf munching is brutal. I only do Indoor Clay, and the B74 is solid. Never seen a PBR at our track. Now it is pretty much B74, Yokimo and a couple tricked out b64's. Well, besides 1 or 2 Tekno's in 4x4 Buggy.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Many people frequently change equipment (chassis, motor, radio, ect) because they think the next new whatever will make them instantly better. That mentality rarely yields faster lap times as they've yet to realize the common factor is their lack of ability. Choosing quality gear and sticking with it for a whole season will often yield the best results. Instead of constantly changing components and chasing the latest pro setup, most people should work on understanding that the handling problems they have is because they are over driving their car. If you learn to drive within the limits of your car, you will be able to see if an adjustment (or new whatever) actually moved the limit. If you can't drive the old whatever at the limit, the new whatever won't be any faster because you still can't drive at the limit.

​​​​​
MikeR, Bri, Slashripper and 5 others like this.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

I've driven a few EB410s and they were always twitchy and hard to drive. The front of the chassis wears and cracks. Guys switch to TLR or AE shocks to improve handling.

My friend got his 410 to be a little easier to drive and it slowed down and was as slow as my TLR 22-4.

I switched to a b64 and picked up some speed and same thing with the B74. There is always hype with a new car coming out and many guys switch, but in the end some cars are faster or easier to tune.
I_NeedBigDrink likes this.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Ran the eb410 for awhile and also a variety of tekno vehicles.

The biggest thing I always felt to me was an issue was the shock package never felt quite right to me at times. It was definitely more finnicky on piston, oil, and spring setup. The 8 x 1.1mm setup was about the best at the time but more so on smooth conditions before I swithced was thinking of a 7 or even 6 hole setup to try.

The other thing that some may want is harder parts for higher grip conditions with the tekno parts being very flexible.

I think if tekno looks into a second version of the car,going with a slightly higher price point but include the common upgrade items would do them credit.

I also agree there warranty fullfillment part can be a bit odd especially on shipping charges. $10 to get back 5 pack of hex tips even if via priority mail is out there.

Last edited by Cain; 09-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I think there are more tekno’s compared to other cars at the track. Most of the other brands work good out the box without many mods. The Tekno needs a few to keep it reliable and to perform
Old 08-31-2019, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by waitwhat View Post
Many people frequently change equipment (chassis, motor, radio, ect) because they think the next new whatever will make them instantly better. That mentality rarely yields faster lap times as they've yet to realize the common factor is their lack of ability. Choosing quality gear and sticking with it for a whole season will often yield the best results. Instead of constantly changing components and chasing the latest pro setup, most people should work on understanding that the handling problems they have is because they are over driving their car. If you learn to drive within the limits of your car, you will be able to see if an adjustment (or new whatever) actually moved the limit. If you can't drive the old whatever at the limit, the new whatever won't be any faster because you still can't drive at the limit.

​​​​​
Dont know what you mean. When reading the latest posts on here about their most recent car purchase, people are always 4/10ths a lap quicker. LOL.
RC*PHREAK likes this.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Piles View Post

Dont know what you mean. When reading the latest posts on here about their most recent car purchase, people are always 4/10ths a lap quicker. LOL.
Actually going from b64 to b74 for me was really a .2-3 reduction in my hot lap. Same motor, same tires. And my hot lap was weeks old and the track was slower than it was previously. The biggest difference was my average lap was closer to my hot lap which is far more important any way. But I pay attention to my results and don't buy into hype, well I try lol.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post

I sold almost all of my TEKNO's (only kept my SCT410.1) and decided to go with PR Racing which is very similar geometry with the XB4, YZ4 and B74 respectively. My lap times improved instantly after making the switch. There were some trade off's, I am willing to sacrifice durability where PR arms are not as durable as TEKNO arms, but I'm easily picking up around 0.5 sec faster lap times with the PR buggy. In contrast, my PR Truggy isn't as fast as my TEKNO Truggy was, still chasing setup there.

What motivated me to shift to PR from TEKNO was long term maintenance costs. I really appreciate TEKNO's 50% lifetime warranty deal, I would often stock up on broken parts and mail in a large collection of parts as a bulk order to minimize shipping expenses. On my very last order with TEKNO it cost me just under $10 to ship them about $200 in broken parts for warranty claim, but they wanted to charge me $45 in shipping to send the exact same replacement parts back. I contacted them to explain there is a problem with their shipping calculator, particularly around having multiple bodies on a single order. They agreed and promised to credit me the difference and said to go ahead and place the order which I did. Problem was they only gave me a $16 credit, and I know as a fact that the same parts did not cost them $29 to ship me in the exact same size box/weight that I sent them with the broken parts in the first place. Just on principle alone, they lost me as a customer at that point.

After switching to PR, I have grown to appreciate their $6 flat rate shipping, doesn't matter how big/small the order is, no gimmicky/guess on what the shipping rate will be. Also really nice to not have to wait an extra 2-3 weeks for a warranty code to get replacement parts which was another inconvenience with TEKNO. There were also many times when I was waiting to get my warranty code, the part I needed would go on back order and then I had to contact TEKNO to extend my warranty code until the parts would come back in stock, also forcing me to split up into multiple orders to get parts that were in stock which also increased my shipping expenses further.... shrug

Not saying PR doesn't have parts go on back order too, but at least their shipping expenses are a fixed cost and that makes a HUGE difference to me
what kind of warranty does PR give on broken parts?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
I think there are more teknoís compared to other cars at the track. Most of the other brands work good out the box without many mods. The Tekno needs a few to keep it reliable and to perform
"needs a few" is HUGE understatement... I spent MORE on upgrades for my EB410 than I spent on the original kit, dead serious. Here's my breakdown when I went through my expenses as I was prepping my car for sale:
Bill's TEKNO EB410 Upgrade List

What's really nice about the 401R is that it includes the vast majority of upgrades in the kit which can save you a small fortune, I spent less than $150 in upgrades to get my 401R to equivalent race spec.

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
what kind of warranty does PR give on broken parts?
Very good question!

I can't share what my discount is because I am currently sponsored with PR and those are the terms that I agreed to when signing with them, but I will do my best to explain my understanding. Not saying "everyone" will get a sponsorship, but so long as you check off all the right boxes and prepare a halfway decent resume, then chances are you will get a sponsorship with PR, the team manager is Canaan Yingling and he is very active on Facebook under the "PR Racing North America Drivers" page.

So that being said, there is no warranty per se, however the discount I get in contrast to TEKNO's warranty/pricing/shipping makes it significantly more affordable/convenient for me to maintain my 401R as compared to my old EB410. I was nervous at first, because parts do go on back order, but I have learned what to stock up on so I don't get myself into a pinch. Also worth noting that Nemo Racing just picked up PR and that will be a huge turning point for the brand with promise to rarely see parts go on back order again.

Bill's Review on the 401R

I have zero regrets switching from the EB410 to the 401R, however I am a relatively clean driver, the EB410 arms are more durable than the 401R arms, but the 401R arms are reversible and super inexpensive with the sponsorship... if someone is looking for a good balance between value and performance, then look no further than PR

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service