Building a track????? >

Building a track?????

Like Tree19Likes

Building a track?????

Old 08-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Building a track?????

Hey guy and gals!!
so, I wanted to throw this idea ive had out to you all. Ive had the interest in building a track. Indoor, carpet, ( have to) . So my idea is this. I live in a town where the closest track is 20 minutes. BUT, the next closest track is an hour and a half away. I want to build a track...track only. No lhs. I know that sounds crazy but just hear me out. Im in real estate. I would be able to find a commercial rental space on the cheap. This idea would be,,,make enough money through membership and other types of funding to merely keep the lights on. This is definitely going to be a labor of love type thing. Even if I have to put in a bit of money myself.
I don't want to get into the hobby shop business but what I do want very much is a good place to race. My idea was to build a carpet track and have it like a Snap Fitness 24/7 type of thing. Through your membership you get a key card and race whenever you want. Now, I know that sounds risky because it's like, okay, a bunch of people are there and the management might not be present and everyone will screw with your stuff. I may be a bit ignorant and thinking that most if not all of the people that would be interested in this program would support it by taking care of the premises. But all we're really talking about is a big metal shed, a bathroom, some ozite carpet and some plywood jumps. Do I keep the lights on with this idea or not. Let's just say to keep the lights on is 1,500 bucks. So roughly 43 people at 40 bucks a month. That's what I pay for my membership at my LHS. Like I said I don't mind dropping a bit of money to keep the lights on. Sorry this is long. But I'm quite serious. I understand the no parts availability but I would build a badass track. And, you know, go buy your parts at the LHS and come racing at my place as well. There's room for both. I'm open to any criticism or ideas.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think with most clubs, the members have a vested interest in the club surviving and thriving, so for most, it would be a good thing. You'll always have the "guy" who will want to disrupt the flow, but that can be dealt with accordingly. I think It's a good idea and if I'm anywhere near you, I'll join (Washington State, Seattle area). I also think that if I'm paying dues, I'll put more effort into making sure I'm at the track more to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Good comment.

Yeah Im an hour from Trackside in Milwaukee. I know its just an hour and I understand how far people drive to race. But for me, its a pain in the ass. Now, my track is a 20 min drive. Its a 12 sec lap on a fast layout. 16 sec when it's really built up. Really good surface. They groom very well and take pride in the track. But its just too small of a place to hold a decent sized race. Now Im not saying I want to hold huge races. But I do want a nice, clean establishment. Im a builder, so I have any framing material at my disposal. I would have to invest in a shi# ton of ozite And would need a hand setting up a lap time system. Which I would have to invest in also. But, anything that needs to be built, is on me. So this interest of mine is very feasible. I would have to do market research even before I invest in a building. Just to see if anyone would actually support this. The RC racing community is halfway decent sized by me. So there isnt a shortage of racers.. Just a question of willing to vest in a racetrack only type of thing.
I have a full time job and Im needed 40hrs a week. But I would be available most weekends and I have guys to cover me when Im unavailable. So what do you think about the 24/7 concept? Would that be something interesting or what?
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Are you considering weekly club races, and would the monthly dues cover the race fees.... will need a timing system and sound system... heating? AC?....
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds awesome, If you do get into running a hobby shop please for the love of Zeus carry more
than Traxxas. But if you do go traxxas again please carry more than just traxxas parts.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What track is 20 minutes from you? Just wondering; I'm 3 hours and 15 mins from Trackside, towards Minnesota. I have an outdoor 1/10 and 1/8 track close to me at 25 minutes or so away. Closest indoor offroad tracks that I'm aware of are MMR in MN and Thunder Road RC Raceway in Waite Park MN, both 3-4 hour drives (each way for me.)
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

no to lights on 24/7. Id also put a camera that you can view thru your phone anytime. make sure your LLC is tight with a lot of liability insurance.. Good luck in your wish.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by aspiringracer View Post
What track is 20 minutes from you? Just wondering; I'm 3 hours and 15 mins from Trackside, towards Minnesota. I have an outdoor 1/10 and 1/8 track close to me at 25 minutes or so away. Closest indoor offroad tracks that I'm aware of are MMR in MN and Thunder Road RC Raceway in Waite Park MN, both 3-4 hour drives (each way for me.)
Im 20 minutes from Hounds Hobbies in Burlington WI.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
Sounds awesome, If you do get into running a hobby shop please for the love of Zeus carry more
than Traxxas. But if you do go traxxas again please carry more than just traxxas parts.
yes I get it. But Traxxas stuff pays the bills for most lhs. Racers dont buy many parts. At least thats what Im told by owners. Mine does a good job. Most lhs with a track has parts for racers. At least ones that are doing halfway decent.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lowspark View Post
Are you considering weekly club races, and would the monthly dues cover the race fees.... will need a timing system and sound system... heating? AC?....
The criteria for a building first and foremost would be heating/ cooling and bathroom facilities. I got the sound system covered. Yes, I will need to invest in timing.
my thoughts are, for races, its when Im available. I would commit myself for a certain number of events before even opening the doors. Information will be shared as frequently as possible through every and any social media outlet available to me. I have a couple interested parties as well to assist pitching this plan to many racers. This idea is new, and to my knowledge never been done. Organized races would be covered by your dues. This, for now, would be maybe a local practice/ hangout and some races maybe once a month. The whole thing is centered around the 24/7 idea. Thats the idea that I hope would draw people in. I would for sure have to have a security camera but this is based on trust within the local rc community. Not to say bad stuff doesn't happen in small towns, but I live in a rural community. The rc scene here is actually really healthy. You guys bring up some very valid points. Thanks!!
aspiringracer and vegas7o2 like this.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
But its just too small of a place to hold a decent sized race. Now Im not saying I want to hold huge races.?
Absolutely untrue. Trackside has some of the largest races in the midwest. The associated race had 327 entries last year. Friday night club races often have 100 + entries on a busy night.

The reality is that there probably aren't enough carpet offroad racers in the WI/IL area to support a freestanding track (no hobby shop) where rent needs to be paid. If you had parts to sell, then maybe you could make ends meet, but even that's difficult.

Take a look at windy city's turnouts on carpet offroad days, and also keep in mind that was in a large metropolitan area. People will say "Yeah, ill sign up for a membership! I support you guys 100%!". But when it comes to getting those people to pay and continue paying every month, a lot of "committed" people run away.

Dirt offroad is still more popular in the area, and even those tracks are having a difficult time. I don't want to rain on your parade, but that's the reality of tracks in the area.
vegas7o2 likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
Absolutely untrue. Trackside has some of the largest races in the midwest. The associated race had 327 entries last year. Friday night club races often have 100 + entries on a busy night.

The reality is that there probably aren't enough carpet offroad racers in the WI/IL area to support a freestanding track (no hobby shop) where rent needs to be paid. If you had parts to sell, then maybe you could make ends meet, but even that's difficult.

Take a look at windy city's turnouts on carpet offroad days, and also keep in mind that was in a large metropolitan area. People will say "Yeah, ill sign up for a membership! I support you guys 100%!". But when it comes to getting those people to pay and continue paying every month, a lot of "committed" people run away.

Dirt offroad is still more popular in the area, and even those tracks are having a difficult time. I don't want to rain on your parade, but that's the reality of tracks in the area.
good points. So I wasnt saying that trackside is too small. I said in my first post that I think my lhs is too small. My lhs is not trackside.Im familiar with that track and very familiar with a lot professional races around the world actually. Its not very popular with a lot of US drivers but the rcgp is an awesome concept and I am interested in seeing what the future holds for JQ. Thats what sparked my interests. Not to make a series but just to make a spark of some sort. At least I have the balls to try.
Youre totally right that dirt is more popular. Thats why in my initial post I said "( have to)".
I would absolutely do a clay track but thats way out of reality for me. Just this idea is pushing it, but things dont happen if nothing happens ya know? And again, I said that Im not looking for something huge. It would be a small thing, enough cash made to keep the lights on. I described it very clearly I thought, that it would be a labor of love. Not money. I dont care anything about Windy City. The attitude of management there was frankly unacceptable and unprofessional. Thats why it suffered. It did nothing to promote a positive environment for new racers. I share my opinion with quite a few people. In what Ive heard, most hobby shops close because of the store. Not the track. Honestly, if you know what your doing, even an indoor clay track isnt a big deal.
I truly appreciate your comments. I take everyones criticism and opinions very seriously. I have to in order to have a go or no go for launch.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Positive

I should say to everyone that is helping me out with their opinions. I know what's going on in my local RC community. I know that people prefer dirt over carpet. I know that trackside is what it is. I mean, the greatest RC announcer of all time is from my area.'m not talking about making this huge track. I really want enough people willing to invest in a membership to support the track. I'm not interested in making money on it. This is more for the RC Community than anything. So far this is an idea that I have shared with a good friend and a couple local racers. And you guys obviously! LOL. I need more comments, ideas criticism. Please read my first post very carefully. It may seem a bit jumbled but I think I made myself clear on my intentions. I know guys. Crazy idea but like I said before can't start a fire without a spark. Haha yeah I know
Old 08-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
good points. So I wasnt saying that trackside is too small. I said in my first post that I think my lhs is too small. My lhs is not trackside.Im familiar with that track and very familiar with a lot professional races around the world actually. Its not very popular with a lot of US drivers but the rcgp is an awesome concept and I am interested in seeing what the future holds for JQ. Thats what sparked my interests. Not to make a series but just to make a spark of some sort. At least I have the balls to try.
Youre totally right that dirt is more popular. Thats why in my initial post I said "( have to)".
I would absolutely do a clay track but thats way out of reality for me. Just this idea is pushing it, but things dont happen if nothing happens ya know? And again, I said that Im not looking for something huge. It would be a small thing, enough cash made to keep the lights on. I described it very clearly I thought, that it would be a labor of love. Not money. I dont care anything about Windy City. The attitude of management there was frankly unacceptable and unprofessional. Thats why it suffered. It did nothing to promote a positive environment for new racers. I share my opinion with quite a few people. In what Ive heard, most hobby shops close because of the store. Not the track. Honestly, if you know what your doing, even an indoor clay track isnt a big deal.
I truly appreciate your comments. I take everyones criticism and opinions very seriously. I have to in order to have a go or no go for launch.
Sorry, read that wrong.

Hounds is an interesting place to say the least. It seems like they are hesitant to put in the resources to make it a top-notch facility. But, I don't think their intention is to cater to the same crowd as trackside.

I also agree with your view of windy city. I guess my point is that they were able to get only 82 entries for the jc midwest race. Even if the attitudes were better at the facility, i doubt their entry count wouldve increased dramatically.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah I didn't do so hot there. LOL hounds is a decent place to race. She's making strides to shine the place up a bit. Actually her and I are discussing a couple remodeling options. I am a builder just trying to help out my LHS in my spare time. The fact of the matter is, in my area, there isn't another place to race within an hour and a half drive. And that's North. You have to go almost 2 hours south and God knows how far west. And to be honest I really don't know how many people would refuse to pay a membership to race on a Turf track. But my gut feeling tells me not to many people. Now it's easy for me to say yes my track is going to be the next best thing since LiPO batteries but my interests are just that. Building the best track that I can along with input and opinions from partners and investors. I guess what I'm trying to do is spread the love for RC racing. And building a track the most efficient way possible, and that would be turf or carpet is it a big deal in my head. I could be wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service