Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Building a track????? >

Building a track?????

Like Tree19Likes

Building a track?????

Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
It's my opinion that in order to keep your track thriving, you need events and promotions to attract new drivers. That has to be a constant. I don't think you can just put a track up and hold some races and it will suffice. I'm in no way saying that you did that. Kudos to you for investing in the hobby. That's big-time. But wherever I go I don't see strides 2 entice new drivers. You have to remember when all of us first started racing. Intimidating, overwhelming and nervous. Of course most Racers are encouraging and helpful, there's some that will go against the positive communal Vibe of RC racing. My idea is hugely concentrated on networking new drivers constantly. Giving them a facility that is welcoming and enticing. Maybe even providing them services to better their RC racing experience.. a good friend of mine makes RC motors. I was thinking about doing a controlled 21.5 buggy class for the youngsters. Or beginners.
100% agree with you. Keeping new people walking thru the door is what is going to make or break. Also a family friendly environment.
I talk to the owner at my track and his helpers constantly about how to improve and grow the hobby. I'm fortunate to have 1 of the best clay tracks in a couple hundred miles radius (if not more) 76 miles away. I'm just a racer but I'd like to see our track grow and improve.
To me the cost getting into the hobby is what scares many away. Back 10 years are so the track had rent a wreck traxxas slash's to race and it died out. Thinking of starting a cheapest bone stock slash class again where you race it out of the box, tires, battery and radio. To see if that will help. I've started giving away old kits and gear to new racer on the understanding that they race and buy as many parts from the shop as possible. We are fortunate to have a good owner that has competitive prices with the net, still people will buy elsewhere (actually probably paying more with the cost of shipping). Irrates me to no end to see a regular racer stroll in with a kit bought elsewhere. I could see it if the owner has jacked up prices, but he doesnt.

Kudos to the OP for thinking of doing something big time to help grow the hobby. I know you dont want to have a shop but that would keep a guy like myself away even tho I'm a steady racer. Although I'm nowhere near the pro level I try to keep my gear pretty updated so there is parts on the wall at the shop and not in my pit bag. I keep very few spares. Personally I would try to find someone knowledgable that wants to go into the LHS part to team up with. Not only would there be someone there at certain times to help people with parts and service if they break, but also look out on the track some.
Either way I think you should try to have weekly racing. Personally I get bored with practice (my driving pretty much shows that, but then again with the track 76 miles away I dont get much practice regardless). Actual racing is what gives it meaning. If you have a good crew of locals you really dont need to be there. There are some racers that will gladly run the event for free or at most free racing. Even tho our track is not a club per say, we have volunteers that help out with just about everything at our track. Just need to find trustworthy folks with a passion to race is all.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Kswarrior View Post
Sounds like the my Xray should be faster than a TLR because it cost more mentality. I dont know how many people I've seen in all forms of racing thinking they drop the dime on the most expensive equipment will make them win.
One of the fastest guys at the clay track I race literally has maybe 3 different sets of tires, runs inexpensive electronics, inexpensive batteries, dx3r radio and 2 to 3 generation old AE kits. Another is the same way and still runs rear motor kits with all used gear and very few tires. They win week in and week out because they know how to set their kit and drive..
Yeah we have those guys at the track that have the latest and greatest, all blinged out, small fortune in tuning parts, equipment and tires that are fast. But they can also pickup someone's old radio, tinker a bit on the cheap kit and run it fast in attempt to help a new racer get his stuff right.
Are any of these guys the next pro driver? Nope. But they are fast because they know how to set their kit to the track and driving style, and they can drive.
i ment in general not because of which one cost more, i like the idea of setup being more of thing. i also agree the latest car isnt always going to win races, as you've said someone is winning with an old platform, this has also been a case at our track multiple times
My dig was at the company's push for "this is better, spend another $600 on us, but we've changed alot of parts so youll need new spares too"
Old 08-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tires.

The tire game is getting out of hand. 8 scale nitro guys sauce. They have to. Even the outdoor tracks are becoming indoor clay-like. I love dirt. But man, I like racing, not cleaning, burning, saucing, gluing, repeat. I know thats what indoor clay is. A tire game. Its so crucial. Its more important than the car. It really is...No matter, AE, TLR, Xray, PR Racing, Schumacher, Tekno on and on and on. Were fortunate to have all these top notch race kits. All that tech does matter when 80% of your performance comes from your tires. That rings true with any motorsports. But when your spending more, way more on tires at a big event than you would a lets say motocross event......somethings gone awry.
So, like I said before, I like dirt. But artificial surfaces are going to be implemented, not replace dirt. Its going to help owners and start ups like myself. No renter is gonna say, oh yeah, dump all this dirt in here and keep it wet. Ha!!! So turf is what Im doing. I get what your saying about no store. But I aint goin down that road....there's a lhs not far from where I plan on putting a track. Go there, buy your parts there. Then go to my place. Theres room for both. More options to race and have a good time is what we need. Not more options where you can buy parts....imo
Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
The tire game is getting out of hand. 8 scale nitro guys sauce. They have to. Even the outdoor tracks are becoming indoor clay-like. I love dirt. But man, I like racing, not cleaning, burning, saucing, gluing, repeat. I know thats what indoor clay is. A tire game. Its so crucial. Its more important than the car. It really is...No matter, AE, TLR, Xray, PR Racing, Schumacher, Tekno on and on and on. Were fortunate to have all these top notch race kits. All that tech does matter when 80% of your performance comes from your tires. That rings true with any motorsports. But when your spending more, way more on tires at a big event than you would a lets say motocross event......somethings gone awry.
So, like I said before, I like dirt. But artificial surfaces are going to be implemented, not replace dirt. Its going to help owners and start ups like myself. No renter is gonna say, oh yeah, dump all this dirt in here and keep it wet. Ha!!! So turf is what Im doing. I get what your saying about no store. But I aint goin down that road....there's a lhs not far from where I plan on putting a track. Go there, buy your parts there. Then go to my place. Theres room for both. More options to race and have a good time is what we need. Not more options where you can buy parts....imo
If there is a LHS to get parts minutes away I understand. If anything you might boost that business.. I also understand running carpet on a new track also. When it comes time to change the layout at the track I race the owner says if he had to do it all over again he would really consider carpet, and he owns the building..lol.. I do feel very fortunate to have a good clay track nearby and understand people just starting out almost have to run carpet especially if they dont own the building.

I do miss what it was racing like a decade ago when tires lasted and we were at best knocking the dirt off of them. This is only my 2nd season back running 1/10 indoors. I remember thinking of how everyone seemed to became pros when I got back in. Havent made it to the outdoor 1/8 scale track yet, but from the way guys are talking they are trying to get it with an indoor surface as well.
I watch the fast guys. Most of them are brand specific when it comes to tires (and they are not sponsored by that brand) and they may have 2 or 3 sets of each tread pattern. Still expensive yeah, but not terrible. Also have those that literally bring in 4 totes of tires from about every brand. They may be decent drivers but they cant run with the others..
Yeah it may be really bad out of hand for those that attend the huge events and get payed to race. But seriously, that isnt to many of us, and those that do are usually sponsored and either get massive discounts or tires for free.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Sponsorships are hurting rc. Every racer thats sponsored ( which is everybody and their brother), gets discounted prices. What does that do to the manufacturers bottom line? Give your stuff out at a discount too long and to too many people and watch the prices sky rocket. Its simple economics. The advertising of sponsorships increase visibility to potential buyers they say. Seriously, it takes 30 seconds to make a tire. Slap some release agent in a mold, cast the tire, release it, clean off the flash, repeat. Foams are produced in an even more efficient process. Racers wanna go fast. You need a surface that can support high speeds. So we get what we want. These surfaces chew up tires. Especially when guys sauce a " super mega ultra " soft tire.😒
that all goes away with turf. Tire manufacturers wanna sell tires. Theres the dilemma. Anyways, Im going to continue my quest. If you all are interested in my progress please let me know and Ill keep you informed. If you dont care about some guy you dont know, in a town youve never heard of, talking about building some carpet track youll never race on, let me know as well.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I, for one, would be very interested in your progress. The hiccups, the surprises, the good, the bad and the ugly! Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Stay the course Funky and keep us updated
thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Move where I am and build it, please!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Gonna have a meeting with some circle track guys this week. They have a small club at a nice small place. These guys are very dedicated. Gotta see about maybe them joining in on off road too to support the track. Was thinking we can switch it out back and forth. 🤔
looks like I will be more successful in starting a club instead of heading my own track. We'll see.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think we’ve all imagined the idea before. Yes please post your progress. It interesting to read what you find. I’ve been watching two clubs trying to form in Chicagoland.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Jumps

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I think weve all imagined the idea before. Yes please post your progress. It interesting to read what you find. Ive been watching two clubs trying to form in Chicagoland.

so as I try to organize something, I'm going to start building some jumps! As a woodworker, I have machines and tools to build what I plan on some pretty awesomely constructed obstacles. This weekend I'm planning on getting my project started so I will post some pics on my progress.
idlecurrent and Billy Kelly like this.