Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Building a track????? >

Building a track?????

Like Tree19Likes

Building a track?????

Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Might what to check this thread. Also in Wisconsin. He’s been looking into places. But had found the same issue others have found. Monthly rent is insane. $13,000 a month

Interest in restarting the club.

consider yourself fortunate to have a track 20 minutes away. And a second. Most don’t.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Yes. I totally understand what you're saying. I am very fortunate that I have at least a halfway decent Dirt Track by me and one an hour and a half away from me that is nationally-known. $13,000 rent is insane. That's nowhere near what I find here . I think we're getting away from what my initial idea was. A large steel building with a concrete floor. With heat. That's all I need. I'm not starting a business here. More like a club. And that's all I'm interested in. Also, my apologies. I should have stated in my initial post that I'm only interested in opinions on how I can start this thing,. Not how I should just be happy and walk away from an idea. That's not how things get done. At least that's not what I was taught. No disrespect
Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

I have two words for anyone that thinks they should just settle for what your local rc community gives you. Joseph Quagraine. If you dont know, well then whatever.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I built a track spent 30 grand 200 x 100 tower timing system, great for 6 yrs now no one shows even to play. I have a complete timing system my laps computer 17.5 in HP if your interested call me . price is not fixed make me an offer.. its listed in the for sale section and my track in in north west Prineville Oregon section here. good luck doing your thing. or PM me
Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Funkydrummer1 View Post
I have two words for anyone that thinks they should just settle for what your local rc community gives you. Joseph Quagraine. If you dont know, well then whatever.
I have no idea who that is.

I linked to that club thread not so much for what heís been finding for monthly rents. But he also proposed the idea of club buying land and building. But hasnít got much response from those willing to commit.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
I built a track spent 30 grand 200 x 100 tower timing system, great for 6 yrs now no one shows even to play. I have a complete timing system my laps computer 17.5 in HP if your interested call me . price is not fixed make me an offer.. its listed in the for sale section and my track in in north west Prineville Oregon section here. good luck doing your thing. or PM me
Do you have any idea why interest dried up? Is it just people losing interest in racing? Was it cost? Was it atmosphere? A combination of a billion things?

I'm sure you have tried to figure out what happened, and there is no easy answer, or one single thing, but I suspect you have some thoughts on what happened. It would be good to hear your perspective in the hopes that it might help others.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

I have no idea who that is.

JQ?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
dude, awesome. I will definitely check it out. So, Ive been talking with some guys that have a circle track club that might be on board to start some sort of back and forth thing that would also do off road...Like, you circle guys will run on the artificial surface, but you gotta put all the jumps in the middle and run your own pipe around all that, kind of thing. So I have guys willing to start a "club". Ive actually found a 120◊ 60 shed that is a possibility. Dude said 2 k a month. So whatever people say about sky high rental places, yes it may be true, but once in a while you find someone that is willing to help out another persons cause. I told the guy we need a clean decent place to run. And it is. Its just a garage. But its flat, its big enough for a decent straight away. Got heat, no ac bummer and restroom. You search and dedicate yourself to something, youll find what your looking for. But yet, nothings in stone yet so this could very well be just my pipe dream not going anywhere. But I wont give up. I love rc, i love the community. Its my passion and I want to spread that passion on to others.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Tech Initiate

It's my opinion that in order to keep your track thriving, you need events and promotions to attract new drivers. That has to be a constant. I don't think you can just put a track up and hold some races and it will suffice. I'm in no way saying that you did that. Kudos to you for investing in the hobby. That's big-time. But wherever I go I don't see strides 2 entice new drivers. You have to remember when all of us first started racing. Intimidating, overwhelming and nervous. Of course most Racers are encouraging and helpful, there's some that will go against the positive communal Vibe of RC racing. My idea is hugely concentrated on networking new drivers constantly. Giving them a facility that is welcoming and enticing. Maybe even providing them services to better their RC racing experience.. a good friend of mine makes RC motors. I was thinking about doing a controlled 21.5 buggy class for the youngsters. Or beginners.
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

Hope you are able to get this going.

For the purposes of racing indoors in the winter, out here we have a club originally targeted at mini scale vehicles like the LC Racing 1/14 line up and others, with the new associated with some minor changes working very very well.

We have oriented our selves the past couple of years to some public areas, community centers mainly based on what we could find for the money. As space options have grown, we have allowed in more 1/10 vehicles. The big thing as you are seeing is cost of rental space and covering that cost. Does your fee factor in race entry fees or are those separate and how much if it doesn't.

All in all, since you are just looking at a keep-the-lights-on mentality, any cross promotional stuff you can do with a hobbyshop if it carries things that can be raced, including traxxas, would be a good thing. Getting foot-traffic for sure you need. Don't just cater to the diehards.

Good luck!
aspiringracer likes this.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
JQ?
Ah, Iíve heard of the brand. Never knew the name
Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
Do you have any idea why interest dried up? Is it just people losing interest in racing? Was it cost? Was it atmosphere? A combination of a billion things?

I'm sure you have tried to figure out what happened, and there is no easy answer, or one single thing, but I suspect you have some thoughts on what happened. It would be good to hear your perspective in the hopes that it might help others.

answer. two local tracks closed due to city permits I built a track the two that closed wanted me to fix there problems I asked for help with the my laps I said to the guys that were running the tracks use my track put you timing system in give me 5 bucks an entry. they told me to buy my own and I was on my way. I built it bought the timing system the scoring pro ten transponders 4 grand sprinkler dirt 5 grand tower 5 grand for timing system and program bought a HP computer and it was for track only. it was great for 6 yrs I learned how to operate timing system all was good after about three events. then the nitro guys complained about the elect guys so I raced nitro on saturdays elect on sundays, when I had my track going two guys showed up started asking questions and then 20 miles and in town as I live 28 miles from that track was built in the citys property next to baseball diamonds the track is 30x 40 ...then in another city that track lost its track due to development . I took my timing system and we had a series to get guys involved I bought pro line j concepts. castle, associated ,tekin and servo city goods......... gave out to the winners.. at series end. guys that raced 10 and came in first place points got a UNIT of there choosing Then liek when drones and kids were being born it went from 30 to 10 to 3 then nothing for the last 2 yrs. so now I have all this stuff and no one to use it thats Y I am asking at least 2500 for it all. if you add it up its 5300. worth for half price. have a dinner .....meeting with all your friends be careful signing any lease when the guys don't show YOUR responsible... then you need insurance is it a business Permits. no its a club. do you tax pay this or that lots to think about. I really think people lost interest due to the drive and other things to do I have asked by phone Y ........Just have other interests Good luck
Old 08-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

RC Generally strives when the economy isn't that flash, its a low cost hobby that people get involved in when other sports get too expensive, then as things pickup they go back to doing other things.

i made a heap of new friends when this happen'd locally then one of the guys built a new business from ground up, he ended up employing a bunch of guys from the track and they stopped doing RC because they were on good $$ - they could afford to do other things.

two complaints i ALWAYS heard though from these newer guys - TIRES and why companies release new cars then next event, prototype parts on the car.

Thats when i realized Tires are a unspoken death of racing, so many patterns and then so many compounds of those patterns - maybe mx is only Motorsport to use different tires, not sure never watched it?

local racers try different setups... put on different tires and the setup work meant nothing - right now we are trying 2 x control tires and the racers response has been "why hasnt this been a thing"

I firmly believe tire companys need to work on thier own "all round, two different compound off-road tires" now to be fair, proline has the buckshot which is one we've been testing since it can be used two ways, blockade style and smaller pins like holeshot with it being stacked for good wear.

all in all - consider control tires , some may not like it at first but they will end up loving it.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

+1 to control tires, would make sense, $600-800 "top-of-the-line" kits and its still about tires, make it about the car more.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by MonsterJuice View Post
+1 to control tires, would make sense, $600-800 "top-of-the-line" kits and its still about tires, make it about the car more.
Sounds like the my Xray should be faster than a TLR because it cost more mentality. I dont know how many people I've seen in all forms of racing thinking they drop the dime on the most expensive equipment will make them win.
One of the fastest guys at the clay track I race literally has maybe 3 different sets of tires, runs inexpensive electronics, inexpensive batteries, dx3r radio and 2 to 3 generation old AE kits. Another is the same way and still runs rear motor kits with all used gear and very few tires. They win week in and week out because they know how to set their kit and drive..
Yeah we have those guys at the track that have the latest and greatest, all blinged out, small fortune in tuning parts, equipment and tires that are fast. But they can also pickup someone's old radio, tinker a bit on the cheap kit and run it fast in attempt to help a new racer get his stuff right.
Are any of these guys the next pro driver? Nope. But they are fast because they know how to set their kit to the track and driving style, and they can drive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service