Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By m3rcfh

How to tune

Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How to tune

how would I go about tuning my buggy to a specific track?
Old 07-10-2019, 07:56 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Antman219 View Post
how would I go about tuning my buggy to a specific track?
start with tire and a basic tune. Tires that work on one track wont necessarily work on another.
read read read practice practice practice repeat repeat repeat
R/C Car Handling - An Introduction To Vehicle Dynamics

Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Tires. Springs. Shocks. Anti-roll bars. Diffs. In that order.

Although I'm usually too lazy to change shock fluid, so skip it. As a baseline, 30wt on dirt, 60wt on astro.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Read a lot about tuning! And reread these guides 10 times until you know them by heart.
And test a lot. Go to your track, make 1 change at a time and run the car. Then note down what you felt what was different. This is the best to get familiar with your car.

Adam Drake has also a lot of videos about tuning a (1/8th scale) buggy, but most setup changes are the same on 1/10 cars.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdamDrake117/videos

But tires are the most important thing and without the right tires you'll always be chasing a good setup. Go to the track and ask the fast guys what tires they are running.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know your question is about how-to, but I wanted to share my experience too
I really think that the box stock setup will get you far, as long it's not completely off or a kit for the wrong surface (like a carpet kit on a dirt track - even though I know a fast guy that all he changes from clay to astro is the ride height and he is always mid pack a main).

Tires are the biggest part of it, and getting used to how the car behaves is key. I would only change setup (a single item at a time) after I know I can't get better at driving. When I started, I liked changing setups every run and try to notice a difference, but I don't think it made any sense since I wasn't consistent enough. I only made the overall experience more complicated. At one point I reverted to box stock and got much better over the next practices
Pistol123 likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by m3rcfh View Post
I know your question is about how-to, but I wanted to share my experience too
I really think that the box stock setup will get you far, as long it's not completely off or a kit for the wrong surface (like a carpet kit on a dirt track - even though I know a fast guy that all he changes from clay to astro is the ride height and he is always mid pack a main).

Tires are the biggest part of it, and getting used to how the car behaves is key. I would only change setup (a single item at a time) after I know I can't get better at driving. When I started, I liked changing setups every run and try to notice a difference, but I don't think it made any sense since I wasn't consistent enough. I only made the overall experience more complicated. At one point I reverted to box stock and got much better over the next practices
Yes, you need to be able to drive consistent to feel the smaller changes. And I wouldn't make changes between runs if you not experienced. But if you have open practice on saturday and raceday on Sunday, you can use the Saturday to find a setup. That's how I did it when I started racing. Things like diffs changes (in 1/8th scale) make a huge difference. Even if you can't drive consistent, it can be a huge improvement.
I always tell beginners to create a setup that easy to drive so can drive consistent and crash less. Once you start getting consistent and keep on the racing line, you can start to make changes to improve corner speed. But usually, that's makes the car harder to drive.

And if you have some specific questions about you car, find the car thread on RCtech and ask for help. Or post them here if they are general questions. For example if you're having oversteer on exit or something like that.