• 2 Post By sport10
  • 1 Post By RCSteveH
  • 3 Post By 1/8 IC Fan

2s in a 1/8 buggy?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 2s in a 1/8 buggy?

I have a Tekno EB48 buggy that I would like to run a 2S setup. Currently the buggy has a Tekin RX8 / Pro 4600 / 14t pinion combo but after the first run this weekend, the ESC temp'd out with a measured temp of 180F. Now granted the outside temps were 95F and after the fact I noticed the ESC fan was not runnning but am I chasing a setup that will never work (temperature wise)? I would really like to try a 15t pinion but if I can't get the temps down I don't think it will be possible. I did order a new ESC fan.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A practical approach tells me that a larger pinion would make the motor hotter.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
A practical approach tells me that a larger pinion would make the motor hotter.
Precisely why the OP is asking.

I saw a used e buggy for sale locally that claims it is “super fast” because it’s so light with a 1/10 “SCT setup” with 2s, but no idea how that works in a racing world. So, I’ll watch the answers on this thread.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the clarity. For a second I thought about a soap box build off but rather keep it from going downhill.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bmxracer39x View Post
I have a Tekno EB48 buggy that I would like to run a 2S setup. Currently the buggy has a Tekin RX8 / Pro 4600 / 14t pinion combo but after the first run this weekend, the ESC temp'd out with a measured temp of 180F. Now granted the outside temps were 95F and after the fact I noticed the ESC fan was not runnning but am I chasing a setup that will never work (temperature wise)? I would really like to try a 15t pinion but if I can't get the temps down I don't think it will be possible. I did order a new ESC fan.
If you can get a larger spur, however may require a diff fluid change and or new gaskets/orings, try it with your 14t pinion before dropping a pinion to 13t, When was the last time you lubed the motor bearings? I use 20wt Silicone
Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

You are running the motor at 34k rpm I feel that you are over geared. Also that motor is exclusively a short course motor however if geared it can run longer run times, these are torquey motors and may actually may benefit from a larger spur.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

I say stay with 4s if you can. Much more efficient and easier on all the electronics. On 2s to get the same power of a 4s setup you will be pulling a lot of amps which is harder on the batteries, connections, motor, and esc. The only place I see people doing 2s in 1/8 scale is indoors on smaller tracks.
uDi_MP7.5 and Juglenaut like this.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

4600kv on 2S is equivalent to 2300kv on 4S
1900kv on 4S is most popular so a 3800kv would be ideal if you want other pinion options 14-16t.

Adding a fan to keep things cooler wont hurt either. Options are pretty limited on the TEKNO 1/8th scale buggies so I used a HPI brake pad and installed an aluminum fan like this.

bmxracer39x likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bmxracer39x View Post
but am I chasing a setup that will never work (temperature wise)?
Absolutely.
The problem is much higher amp draw, which means you get wire resistance driving the temperature of both the motor and ESC up (and efficiency down), even if you manage to get the gearing right.

It's much better to keep motor kV in the 1800-2200 region and run a higher cell count. There's a reason basically no one runs 2s in 1/8 buggy, even 3s runs into overheating problems if you try and shoot for the same overall power output as 4-6s.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

This goes back to the days of 1:8 Superlight. Those buggies were basically SCT based 1:8 conversions, as such had smaller drivetrains, less Alloy Components and Thinner Chassis. With that being said, the Rather Shorted Indoor Tracks, were easily managed with an SCT motor and a SCT ESC on 2S. But a full size buggy, its potential is realized with a 4S battery, as this is what it is designed around, not a 2/3 or even 6S pack.

As for the gearing changes listed on the Spur, its not a 1:10 buggy as such it is limited from the start, aside from what is originally installed, you have the option to run the Steel spur gear, yet that is bigger in tooth and physical size, so gearing is limited to lower toothed pinions. So stick with 4S, and run the gearing as advised in the Manual. You will have good run time, Speed, and most of all fun!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uDi_MP7.5 View Post
Absolutely.
The problem is much higher amp draw, which means you get wire resistance driving the temperature of both the motor and ESC up (and efficiency down), even if you manage to get the gearing right.

It's much better to keep motor kV in the 1800-2200 region and run a higher cell count. There's a reason basically no one runs 2s in 1/8 buggy, even 3s runs into overheating problems if you try and shoot for the same overall power output as 4-6s.

Thank you!

I'll go ahead and swap it over to a 4s setup with a 1900 motor for the buggy. The only reason why I thought it would work was because the exact same vehicle (Tekno EB48) was swapped over from a SCT (2s RX8 4600 14t pinion) which did not over heat but when I put the buggy body and buggy wheels, now it over heats the ESC. The motor never got above 150F but the ECS temp'd out in the buggy mode.

Thanks for all the replies.