Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dmill78
  • 1 Post By I_NeedBigDrink
  • 1 Post By uDi_MP7.5

1/8th truggy which one?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/8th truggy which one?

I know you guys probably get tired of people asking "which kit should I buy" but here's one more... so I'm looking at the Associated RC8T3.1e, Tekno ET48.3, or the Mugen MBX8TE. I'm leaning towards either the Associated or Tekno just because of the price, but need help deciding. there are ZERO tracks near me but I'd like to drive the 100 miles every once and a while and practice for fun and in a perfect world build a track like I used to have when I was younger. As far as buying one supported by my hobby shop, there is one LHS in town but they carry traxxas and arrma... nothing else so my parts support will be solely Amain and tower hobbies. so with that said, what would you guys pick for a truck??
dms70 likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Man, I’m in the same boat. Although I will be buying from my lhs, and they have a track. But they no longer carry anything for 1/8 scale off road, due to lack of interest. Owner told me he’d get me whatever I want, and then would stock supporting parts for me. It’s between Associated, Mugen, and Xray for me. I hope this thread gets some action, because I could use some advice too. Oh, for me although I like Tekno, that narrow chassis just turns me off. Looks like just simple maintenance would require a total tear down. Not to mention if I wanted to experiment with different motor esc combo, it could be tough to do. No plans to formally race, but I like to come as close as possible to being race ready.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Donít have any advice on what to choose as Iíve never owned one but I will point out that Xray released a new version of their xt8/e platform, the XT8.2E
dms70 likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you're choosing between the Mugen / Xray / Tekno, you can't really make a bad choice.

One thing I like about the Xray is that they still use big 8x16x5 diff pinion bearings, the other two (as well as Associated from memory) use smaller ones which will need servicing at shorter intervals. Since truggies usually use small 10T diff pinions it's a nice area to have bigger bearings to preserve the expensive main gears in the long term. X has the most durable driveline of the 3, and the large-oil-volume center diff is nice for stretching change intervals.

The Tekno has some clever longevity features too, like the longer lower shaft support bushing on the shocks, takes longer before they develop play compared to other brands. Narrow chassis seems to be a love/hate affair but theoretically faster (lower polar moment of inertia) if it suits you. Can't think of a year where the Mugen buggy/truggy hasn't also been one of the best. I've been using Mugen shock boots on my X's since they're more durable and seal better.
dms70 likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Xray

Originally Posted by I_NeedBigDrink View Post
Donít have any advice on what to choose as Iíve never owned one but I will point out that Xray released a new version of their xt8/e platform, the XT8.2E
yes Iím aware, thatís the truggy Iíve been considering.