Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 071crazy
  • 1 Post By enare
  • 1 Post By RazorRC

Looking for Advice: RC10T6.1 or TLR 22T 4.0

Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for Advice: RC10T6.1 or TLR 22T 4.0

Now, I'll preface this with my decision might be determined by what I see at the track/hobby shop. But assuming there's an even split, I'm hoping to get some opinions from the 2wd stadium truck folks. I know I could go look up what's winning with the top drivers, but I'm not a top driver. At all.

Getting back into racing after a 10 year hiatus. Going to actually visit the facility this weekend, and see what's raced, check it out, make sure the people aren't jerkwads. It's an indoor, clay facility (not my first surface preference as actual dirt is what resides in my heart of hearts, but it beats racing in the southern heat in August). All other things being equal (motor, tires, battery, terrible driver) what I'm looking to find out is which vehicle is either easier to dial in, or less sensitive to adjustments.

The reason being is my previous race experience was in classes that either weren't terribly sensitive to tuning like Monster Truck (remember those days?) and Stock 2wd Slash back when it started where pretty much dialing in was "It drives straight and handles neutral." Or, it was pretty locked down, like the local spec Tamiya Mini class where we ran spec tires and motor, and beyond that our set ups were pretty much identical as people before me had pretty much figured out THE set up for our track. So I'm concerned about when I was looking at other classes, someone mentioned that like, the Tekno ebuggy was super sensitive to set up. Fast as all get out, but apparently just very sensitive. I knew that was not for me, as it'd be too many choices right out of the gate.

So, those stadium truck gurus with their ears to the ground. Of those two chassis, is there a better suggestion for someone who's got some laps under their belt, but is relatively fresh to actually dialing in a truck? Or, additionally, any alternative vehicles I should consider assuming the hobby shop actually supports the vehicle? I'm just defaulting to Losi and Associated they seem to be the default brands that I can expect to find at a hobby shop that has it's own track. Like, I don't think I've even seen Kyosho cars or parts stocked in shop in 20 years.

Thanks for any direction or information you can give.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with either brand for parts availability, but I think the t6.1 has the edge right now.

I have a 22t 4.0 right now, but would switch to a 6.1t if stadium truck became more popular.
enare likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have had them both and t6.1 all the way. the 22t 4.0 handles really well but the quality of the plastic is horrible. crazy arm slop after one run. and the losi ballcup issue still isn't fixed. ive beat a lot of guys twice as good as me because losi pops ballcups way to easily. I honestly cant say one bad thing about the t6.1. handles awesome and durable as a tank.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Another vote for the T6.1
Old 06-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by InfernalStone View Post
Now, I'll preface this with my decision might be determined by what I see at the track/hobby shop. But assuming there's an even split, I'm hoping to get some opinions from the 2wd stadium truck folks. I know I could go look up what's winning with the top drivers, but I'm not a top driver. At all.

Getting back into racing after a 10 year hiatus. Going to actually visit the facility this weekend, and see what's raced, check it out, make sure the people aren't jerkwads. It's an indoor, clay facility (not my first surface preference as actual dirt is what resides in my heart of hearts, but it beats racing in the southern heat in August). All other things being equal (motor, tires, battery, terrible driver) what I'm looking to find out is which vehicle is either easier to dial in, or less sensitive to adjustments.

The reason being is my previous race experience was in classes that either weren't terribly sensitive to tuning like Monster Truck (remember those days?) and Stock 2wd Slash back when it started where pretty much dialing in was "It drives straight and handles neutral." Or, it was pretty locked down, like the local spec Tamiya Mini class where we ran spec tires and motor, and beyond that our set ups were pretty much identical as people before me had pretty much figured out THE set up for our track. So I'm concerned about when I was looking at other classes, someone mentioned that like, the Tekno ebuggy was super sensitive to set up. Fast as all get out, but apparently just very sensitive. I knew that was not for me, as it'd be too many choices right out of the gate.

So, those stadium truck gurus with their ears to the ground. Of those two chassis, is there a better suggestion for someone who's got some laps under their belt, but is relatively fresh to actually dialing in a truck? Or, additionally, any alternative vehicles I should consider assuming the hobby shop actually supports the vehicle? I'm just defaulting to Losi and Associated they seem to be the default brands that I can expect to find at a hobby shop that has it's own track. Like, I don't think I've even seen Kyosho cars or parts stocked in shop in 20 years.

Thanks for any direction or information you can give.

If you have a few minutes to watch the below. Razor RC has done an extensive video comparing both platforms. If I were to make one suggestion, once you pick a brand, stick with it, I have a B6.1D, B64D and a TLR 22t 4.0 and not being able to swap parts between them is getting annoying!

RazorRC likes this.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:26 AM
mes
Tech Master

During the last few years, I had the Kyosho RT6, Xray XT2, TLR 22T 4.0, the (very good) Yokomo YZ-2T, and on the buggy side the B6.1. Of the two you mentioned, hands down the T6.1. If Yokomo is also an option, you should take a look at that one, too.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Think I'll be leaning towards the T6.1, especially the comment about TLR slop and ballcup issue. The video was helpful, but really all his detractions seemed to be more "no one has made the new truck fast yet." which isn't the case, what... a year later?

I'll keep an eye on Yokomo, but being that this is racing in north west Arkansas, I'm not banking on availability there.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you do go with a T6.1. I have had really good luck with Spencer Rivkin's Velocity Raceway setup but with 5 degree caster inserts. Feels really easy to drive.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by enare View Post
If you have a few minutes to watch the below. Razor RC has done an extensive video comparing both platforms. If I were to make one suggestion, once you pick a brand, stick with it, I have a B6.1D, B64D and a TLR 22t 4.0 and not being able to swap parts between them is getting annoying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUNFGI5k0Ko
Or if you're crazy like me, buy 2 of everything (AE and TLR). Only way to do a proper comparison!
enare likes this.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Where there is a will there is a a way, meaning itís very possible to modify both brands to use each otherís parts.

Losi ball cup issues yielded some cool mods. I donít have slop on my 8ight except for the not so great servo I got. There is not per say ball studs on the 8ight. However I know the ball cup issue all the well as it was a ball cup issue through out the years. I got a RPM set of HD rod ends, they worked great and so big you could drill and thread larger rods.

It really sucks when a ball pops off and crash hard, over a single rod end.

Gosh I even remember trying to melt the rod ends some what trying to shrink them.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

I believe there is a thread about the losi ball cup issue on rctech.