Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1st time kit project! >

1st time kit project!

1st time kit project!

Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1st time kit project!

Mechanical/electronic engineer by trade however all my RCís have been RTR yet I still strip and rebuild them haha so Iím quite technically minded and able but these kits are a totally new territory for me.

Feel itís about time I get a real project on the go.

Have been looking at 1/10 truggys mainly the ET410 however the new X-Ray XT4 sounds promising.

Just after some general advice on ease of working on, after market part availability, cost of parts/running, and generally which ones better/easier to tweak and have fun with.

I have no plans of competing just having fun and building something quite serious and most likely over powered

Also Iíve only ever ran stock transmitter/receiver so Iím totally new to that area and initial looks seem these can be more costly then the cars themselves!

Another area is I know Iím looking at 1/10 but would most likely try to run a 1/8 motor/ESC set up as my other RC (E-Revo) runs that and so will another car Iím picking up soon.

Thoughts and opinions welcome

Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good luck on finding parts for an XRAY. Get an 8th scale for some serious fun. I have a Losi 8E and put a set of Badland tires on it, with Tekin RX8 ESC and T8 1700 motor. This thing flies and can easily handle backyard grass. Look at Tekno for serious basher duty.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Tekno kits are a joy to build. Fit and quality are great. The ET410 was my last build and I highly recommend it.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

The higher end radios are buy once cry once, you'll have them a long time. Otherwise buy used but I prefer to buy new for electronics. If you're really a ME/EE, maybe get into pan cars, the setup is more meticulous and it might be up your alley. Otherwise, go 1/8th buggy or truggy and with the latest brushless motors and lipo batteries, power is never an issue.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your going to bash go 8th scale, far more reliable.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:56 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a modified E Revo 2.0 for bashing duties!

We have more local tracks suited for 1/10 and where I live we have a few areas I would have more use with a 1/10.

Iím not a fan of the term basher to be honest but this will be a fun car which will be treated well but still have a blast with it.

Interesting point on X-Ray is that because not many people make aftermarket parts or is it just sourcing them is hard? If it makes any different Iím in the UK.

Fair point on the radio system and I can use it over multiple cars so on the grand scheme of things itís not too bad, maybe Iím more in tune to spending big money over lots of little add ons rather then one big purchase, and like you say itís a buy once item!

Old 05-27-2019, 04:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

EvilR2.0, by you just mentioning that you have an e Revo, and are looking at 1/10 truggies, with a possibility of high end on-road platform, that says to me you are very undecided . Narrowing down what you really want is kind of hard, as every race breed kit under the sun, basically falls into the category of what you're after. Monster trucking to drifting; on-road, or off-road? Pick a style of RC and stick with it, 'cuz you know you'll be getting another one soon after the addiction sets in . Definitely get a 4wd platform solely for the extra parts that you got to put together, and maintain.
Originally Posted by EvilR2.0 View Post
We have more local tracks suited for 1/10 and where I live we have a few areas I would have more use with a 1/10...
Now, we're getting somewhere . Since you mentioned the Tekno RC ET410, and tracks being nearby, that sounds to me that they are off-road tracks. The ET410 would be the perfect candidate for a person wanting an off-road kit to fill their void. That 4wd stadium truck/truggy is a lot of fun to drive on dirt. I used to think I couldn't be without my 1/8 buggy. The ET410 is slowly taking over my couldn't be without list.

Good luck on your decision making!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They don't call them Tanknos for nothing
Old 05-27-2019, 09:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jon003 View Post
That is the truth.

If you are looking to get into Spec or Mod racing, buy a Tekno EB410. You will love the buggy and it is a beast.

Next up, buy a 2wd buggy and then the ET410. You will appreciate the slow roll into the power you can put down in a 4wd stadium truck.

As in everything, have fun! the build is a big chunk of the fun!

Last bit of advice, don't pay attention to your bank account, it lies about your RC spending habits!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rustyus View Post
by you just mentioning that you have an e Revo, and are looking at 1/10 truggies, with a possibility of high end on-road platform, that says to me you are very undecided . Narrowing down what you really want is kind of hard, as every race breed kit under the sun, basically falls into the category of what you're after. Monster trucking to drifting; on-road, or off-road? Pick a style of RC and stick with it, 'cuz you know you'll be getting another one soon after the addiction sets in . Definitely get a 4wd platform solely for the extra parts that you got to put together, and maintain.
Now, we're getting somewhere . Since you mentioned the Tekno RC ET410, and tracks being nearby, that sounds to me that they are off-road tracks. The ET410 would be the perfect candidate for a person wanting an off-road kit to fill their void. That 4wd stadium truck/truggy is a lot of fun to drive on dirt. I used to think I couldn't be without my 1/8 buggy. The ET410 is slowly taking over my couldn't be without list.

Good luck on your decision making!
Right ok.

Sorry if some of my terminology is wrong! But iĎm not really interested in on road use just off road.

Basically these out door tracks like you say are off road, reasons behind my choice to look at the 1/10 truggy.. Theres only so much blasting around the waste land and being too big for these out door tracks for you to really be able to concentrate on tuning your RC and getting the skills to drive it properly you can master with what I have!

So 1/10 opens these tracks up to me and gives me more chance to enjoy this hobby and learn the car.

Truggy mainly as it gives me a little more room underbody to work with and I love the look.

Off road as above really it opens these tracks plus I can take it out with the E Revo to have a blast about with.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm not a huge truggy fan, but I don't think you can go wrong with the ET410. I don't think there is a release date yet for the XT4. If you want something now, it will have to be the ET410. Parts.... The other thing is if you care to have local support for parts or not. I'm an old Tamiya guy so I'm used to ordering and waiting for parts. If waiting for parts is an issue, then before buying, see what you have the best local support for and go that route. If ordering and waiting for parts isn't a big deal, pick whatever you like.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by jon003 View Post

I was at the track yesterday and hit the corner of a wall and heard a "CRACK!" came down from the stand to check out the damage and the couldn't find anything! Hit the track and notice a slight pull to the left (the side that hit the corner) and then pulled it off the track to look closer and see what I must have missed when looking the first time. Got it to the table and found out the problem after taking the front wheel off. The wheel had cracked, LOL! Other than that I didn't break an arm or even bend the hinge pin, which really surprised me honestly. I am even running the lighten aluminum hubs and they didn't break....I may have just gotten extremely lucky but after that hit...Tankno is a great nickname! LOL
Old 06-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Revisiting this as I had to deal with an issue with my Revo so this has to go on the back burner for a bit.

Did some more research and I know most say Tekno but something about the XT4 just makes me interested.

Has anyone got one yet or seen reviews?

Also in regards to parts who are the main players with upgraded parts for X-Ray? Was hoping M2C but not the case, have seen Exotek and who else?

Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvilR2.0 View Post
Revisiting this as I had to deal with an issue with my Revo so this has to go on the back burner for a bit.

Did some more research and I know most say Tekno but something about the XT4 just makes me interested.

Has anyone got one yet or seen reviews?

Also in regards to parts who are the main players with upgraded parts for X-Ray? Was hoping M2C but not the case, have seen Exotek and who else?

Looks like itís still only on preorder.

Iíve only looked at the on road side. But never seen much aftermarket for XRay. They are pretty much considered top of the line to start with.