Wiki Posts
Search

TLR 8ight X E Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TLR 8ight X E Problems

Hi Guys.
This is my first post and I'm doing it on behalf of a friend who has just purchased a TLR 8ight X E.
Since building and starting to race it he has been having an ongoing issue with the pinion gear coming off all the time.
He has used Loktite on the grub screw but it still works its way off the motor shaft.
The new motor mount seems to be causing the issues but me being a Mugen MBX 8 eco owner I can't work it out as I
don't know the brand.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Australia
Gary
Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe we need some more detail... I'm not sure how the motor mount could directly cause pinion issues. Sounds to me like the pinion and grub screw are not being properly cleaned/torqued, or there is simply a faulty thread on one of the two. I know quite a few people using the stock pinion without issue, myself included. Might not hurt to double check the motor is mounted properly: make sure the pinion grub screw has enough purchase on the motor shaft, diff mounts and motor mounts are tight etc. For what it's worth... I rarely loktite my pinions, and if I do it's just the tiniest drop.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Tech Rookie

mtbwrench,
Thanks for the reply, as I stated I know nothing about the new Losi and am assured by my mate that the motor is seated correctly and built according to the manual that came in the box.
What else would cause the pinion to keep coming off, assuming the motor it correctly mounted(which my mate said it was) and the grub screw was seated correctly.

Cheers
Gary.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

In a different situation, and a different car, I’ve seen a grub screw tighten against the badly machined threads if a pinion. The threads weren’t cut all the way through, just the tip of the grub screw touched the motor shaft. Pull pinion off, make sure grub screw threads all the way through the threaded hole of the pinion.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My guess is the pinion gear is cracked at the thread or he's not tightening the set screw to the flat of the motor shaft. Why don't you have your friend come on here and give us his first hand experience? Instead of going through a intermediary. Could prove much more productive.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Are you sure that when setting the set screw that it is on the flat of the motor shaft?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Simple solution. Try another pinion
Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen1718
mtbwrench,
Thanks for the reply, as I stated I know nothing about the new Losi and am assured by my mate that the motor is seated correctly and built according to the manual that came in the box.
What else would cause the pinion to keep coming off, assuming the motor it correctly mounted(which my mate said it was) and the grub screw was seated correctly.

Cheers
Gary.
If this is the case, and you are fully confident the pinion is being mounted properly and the motor is installed properly... I would just recommend replacing the pinion. I have a 15t Robinson Racing pinion in mine.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)

Hi Guys.
This is my first post and I'm doing it on behalf of a friend who has just purchased a TLR 8ight X E.
Since building and starting to race it he has been having an ongoing issue with the pinion gear coming off all the time.
He has used Loktite on the grub screw but it still works its way off the motor shaft.
The new motor mount seems to be causing the issues but me being a Mugen MBX 8 eco owner I can't work it out as I
don't know the brand.

Cheers from Australia
Gary
I can almost promise the motor mount has the wrong o-rings for the can size. I had this EXACT same issue. I changed the orings and problem gone.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys,
I have taken on board your comments and passed them on to my friend..
To answer a couple of replies.
1. he has tried different pinions.
2. it is seated on the motor shaft properly ( not his first build)
3. not sure about the different 'O' rings.
Cheers
Gary
Old 05-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)

Thanks guys,
I have taken on board your comments and passed them on to my friend..
To answer a couple of replies.
1. he has tried different pinions.
2. it is seated on the motor shaft properly ( not his first build)
3. not sure about the different 'O' rings.
Cheers
Gary
the orings are easily installed improperly. I've done the same like I said. If the motor slides easily through the orings, they are wrong.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not sure what kind of hardware stores you got in your area. However a knurled set screw may help as these are design for high vibration. I am still not sure why the pinion would be coming off. I also have a small extraction tool set in case I strip a set screw. Of all the screws, nuts, and bolts this one set screw I tighten the most.

this also has come up before on different vehicles, and if the motor is dedicated to this ride there should be evidence where the set screw seats, using a end or ball mill bit on a dremel put a small divot where the set screw is on the motor shaft and reset the screw very tight.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys.
don't know the brand.

Cheers from Australia
Gary
I also have the 8ight XE and have experience much grief with the darn motor mount. I have a finned 2200kv castle motor, and it's a pain to be able to get the motor aligned properly, but the once everything is secure it works great.
I have a 40mm motor with fins that add about 1.3mm's, so I have to use the thickest O-ring to get a snug fit on the motor mounts. I use the fins to align the motor mounts properly and space them out properly. When doing your gear mesh you want to be sure you hear the spur gear move a little bit in between the teeth of the pinion so that it doesn't have any extra strain. Then when tightening the 4 mounting screws you want to be sure the screws are all aligned with each other; the front 2 mounting screws should align with the rear 2 mounting screws, that way the motor is aligned exactly parallel to the spur axis.

You can kinda inspect visually by looking straight down on the gears to see of the are parallel. And if you hear that the gears are creating too much noise then, they could be misaligned and only the corner of the gear teeth are meshing as opposed to the entire tooth.