Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Juglenaut

Steering help

Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steering help

Hi! I hope someone can maybe narrow down what's going on My boyfriend has a Hosim 9125 rc truck. He wanted to upgrade the shocks so he picked out the Injora oil adjustable shocks He first chose ones that were 120mm. Put them on and we thought they were just too long bc it wouldn't turn at all. Returned them and got ones that were 100mm long instead. Same problem Put the original shocks on Same thing It only started doing it when the shocks were put on. We also figured out that one problem the whole time was that even though they said they were pre-filled, the "oil" in them was either not the right kind or there wasn't enough. Anyway. I don't know all the technical names so I tend to relate them to car parts But I've read it could be the servo or the servo arm? I wondered if it could be the control arms or rack and pinion (well the equivalents on this truck! Lol)? Anyone had this issue it's like it tries to turn but it's too stiff or something. But you can turn it with your hand Just not the controller. Thanks for any help!!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Not quite sure how replacing shocks would affect steering. Maybe some pictures would help? Most RC vehicles would not be affected by changing out the shocks.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

If everything else is at full power but the steering can't hold its position I would look at the steering servo to see if it's working properly and strong enough for your vehicle.

If the steering was functioning properly before the shocks were put on then look for any binding in the steering, maybe something locked up in the process or is rubbing somewhere.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The problem with putting on after market shocks is.............. springs. and valves and over all size. go back to stock set ups. your shocks are not causing that issue. other set ups are Tires are almost 80% where they are on the towers and arms there is a lot to do NOT just shocks
Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Take the shocks off, disconnect the servo link, raise the vehicle by hand while turning the wheels by hand. Check while the suspension travel is maxed, check while suspension arms are inline with chassis.

is there any binding at all, it should be rather easy to move the steering bellcrank.

Do the suspension arms go up and down like silk?

Are the tie rods smooth, turn them by hand, is there any resistance?

One key thing is do not use oils on ball cups, use only graphite powder.
ddd228 likes this.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Juglenaut
Take the shocks off, disconnect the servo link, raise the vehicle by hand while turning the wheels by hand. Check while the suspension travel is maxed, check while suspension arms are inline with chassis.

is there any binding at all, it should be rather easy to move the steering bellcrank.

Do the suspension arms go up and down like silk?

Are the tie rods smooth, turn them by hand, is there any resistance?

One key thing is do not use oils on ball cups, use only graphite powder.
I found my steering didn't work when I went larger shocks (watch a youtube of someone upgrading, bought what they recommended) And it was garbage.

Thankfully now (this post is old I guess) you can get stock replacement shocks for the 9125 RC that are oil filled. I have these on mine and its totally changed the car. I can run 3S and it handles it amazingly. No more major wheelie lift (still does if you push it just not all the time)

I installed a basic blue ebay wheelie bar (attached with cable ties) and its awesome. Then got some thinner/lighter tyres to match. Is a lot of fun to use.

My only issue (even when I was just running 2S battery) is the motor cog? both strip over time, and so does the centre shaft plastic cog. I've had 2x of these cars strip the cogs completely. I get why 3S would do it, but both my cars were only running 2S when it happened. As far as I can tell, the motors are throw away when that occurs sadly. Bought some new motors and centre shaft and good to go, but can see after 20min run, its already got some wear.