• 1 Post By rosko

8ight-xe vs mbx8 eco vs xray xb8e 2019

Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8ight-xe vs mbx8 eco vs xray xb8e 2019

hi

i looking to switch brand for the 2019 season

i run tekno buggy for the last year and they are tank but i want something with more back end

i like the steering but even with trying many setup its still not what i want in the back.

so i am looking to switch brand and try something different

i had a a b3e also but its to fragile for me and i dont like the new asso plastic they feel cheap

so the question what is the best buggy for the price between the 8ight the mbx8 and the xb8e

thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the 18 XB8E and it does not feel cheap. The biggest problem is support here in the states. These are very fast buggies as the drive line is very smooth, and they are tough.
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 78 (99%+)

They are all good choices. All of them has their pro/cons.
Obviously, the Mugen is the oldest of the choices currently, and offers the worlds kit as a upgraded expense. Lots of Mugen buggies at the tracks.
Xray , although not as popular as the Mugen, does very well on the track. Offering both front ends in the current kit is a push on right direction for Xray. Expense is a setback, and parts available locally to you. Some of my fellow racers have the latest and the '18 version and love them. But you ask any faithful brand driver and they all respond the same.
The TLR 8XE is the newest of the trio, and has been stirring the pot at larger venues competing against larger odds and doing well. The 8XE has a very unique chassis setup compared to the prior 2 choices. The front end is quite typical for the C hub suspension cars. But the rear end on the 8XE is farthest from the norm on any 1/8 platform. The trans case is a upper and lower half unit, which still uses a offset input. While it does work , the user may see the tedious chore of accessing the rear diff for servicing on the bench either trackside or off the track. One awesome feature is the capability of swapping the shocks fore or aft of the tower. The kit provides all needed parts for the conversion. Along supplied in the kit are extra seats, diaphragm for the shocks and emulsion O-ring seals. The motor mount is brilliant in one way, and silly in other. The ability to shift the weight with the clamping mount works very well, but the adjustment for the proper ratios on larger tracks seems unobtainable with kit supplied parts. You'll get the typical 46t spur, and supplied 16t pinion which work. But fitting a 17t on the stock spur is troublesome. I like the battery tray, and chassis layout with the 8XE.
Now , there are optional parts out there for buggies which are users choice, and some can be quite expensive for little gain.

I personally own a TLR 8XE. I've been racing it about 2 months now, and I'm up to speed from my previous 1/8 platform, with very little changes from the kit supplied parts.
I have installed a steel 45t spur(not supplied) to get more rpms on larger tracks, which also in turn softens the initial torque naturally. I've installed the carbon lower arm inserts (not supplied) on the front only, filled the cavity with shoe goo for added flex reduction. I've installed bladders instead of emulsion(both supplied) and switched to 8 hole optional pistions(not supplied). Making slight adjustments every opportunity to hit the track, and it's getting faster and faster.
While it seems there are people breaking parts on the buggy, and the others also, I've yet to break anything. I do keep in my parts though, arm set, front castor blocks, rod ends, and velcro straps. Yes I've broken velcro straps during races .

I hope this helps, and if I can provide and info on the 8XE please ask, or venture to the 8XE forum here. Plenty of people talking about it. Good luck in your choice!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Indoor or outdoor?

You should also consider the Kyosho and it's clones, like Serpent and JQ.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What do you mean by more back end?
More oversteer bias / sharper steering?
Totallyosho likes this.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Can only comment on the xe which im not impressed with....like the 3.0 and 4.0 much better....
Juglenaut likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Wink

Originally Posted by speedup View Post
hi

i looking to switch brand for the 2019 season

i run tekno buggy for the last year and they are tank but i want something with more back end

i like the steering but even with trying many setup its still not what i want in the back.

so i am looking to switch brand and try something different

i had a a b3e also but its to fragile for me and i dont like the new asso plastic they feel cheap

so the question what is the best buggy for the price between the 8ight the mbx8 and the xb8e

thanks

I agree those are all top notch buggies, but be sure its worth the time/money expense to switch manufacturers, learn the quirks, and stock all new stuff. But if you must....

In my opinion:
Xray = Quality +, and the tuning options are endless. This buggy will get you across the line every time, it responds well to setup adjustments. You want steering, you got it here + some. The drive train is VERY smooth and reliable, will make any ECS/motor seem fast, just gets the power down well. Hardware is top notch, and materials are extremely durable. RCAmerica gets parts out fairly quick, so stocking a few parts isn't that bad.
Losi= The newest design, they are working out the small issues, and could soon dominate. This buggy looks to be one of the fastest up-and-coming designs, but could possibly be just a year too early for perfect reliability, and plentiful parts support. It really looks good on the track though! Man, my eye is on this one in the next years ahead.
Mugen= Very solid design, tried and true, Drake is working on it, and thats a huge plus. Good parts support and an ever growing option selection keeps it competitive. Lots of sportsman drivers doing well with this chassis, tells you something, you cant always assume the pro drivers who win on Sunday are driving the best buggy. Jusy sayin....

Out of the box competitiveness, without modifications of any kind, I give that to the Xray, for both the Nitro chassis, and E-buggy. Build it to exact stock spec in the book, and run it, you will be surprised.
My $.02...

Each racer will have input based on experience, but as I said, those are all great buggies!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

I'd stay away from Losi. A few people bought one at our track and they are all having issues and are complaining about the car.

I have a few xray 1/10 cars and have owned a lot of their other cars in the past. The quality is great and they should last a long time, but I don't like that they come up with something different every year.
And I've tried a few 1/8th scale cars, but Mugen is what I'm happy with. This car is so reliable, it's fast and you don't need a lot of additional options to drive the car. Just 1 set of springs if you have a light car and a few sway bars. That's literally it. I had a full chassis sponsorship from a different brand and I refused to renew the contract after 1 year because I wanted my Mugen back.

I'd check what your local track runs and for what brand you can get the most support and then decide if you want to run Mugen or Xray. Both are quality cars that will finish races.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I'd stay away from Losi. A few people bought one at our track and they are all having issues and are complaining about the car.

I have a few xray 1/10 cars and have owned a lot of their other cars in the past. The quality is great and they should last a long time, but I don't like that they come up with something different every year.
And I've tried a few 1/8th scale cars, but Mugen is what I'm happy with. This car is so reliable, it's fast and you don't need a lot of additional options to drive the car. Just 1 set of springs if you have a light car and a few sway bars. That's literally it. I had a full chassis sponsorship from a different brand and I refused to renew the contract after 1 year because I wanted my Mugen back.

I'd check what your local track runs and for what brand you can get the most support and then decide if you want to run Mugen or Xray. Both are quality cars that will finish races.
what issues are they having?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ditto.. cause I want to know... I love my 8EB4.0
I honed, filed, shimmed, custom shimmed, applied graphite, and troubleshot my 8BE4.0 until it went so fast I crashed it, bummer Batman!! Anyway itís all fixed up.. I even burned out a servo learned not to go on the cheap here, waiting on a better one.

It didnít pop wheelies and almost flip until I upgraded the bearings.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Overall state of upgrade for durability, before custom shimming. After I built it I had to disassemble the front as the hinge pin rubbed on the diff output. I setup the inserts wrong, shown in second pic after I corrected it. I also checked the rear and reduced anti squat.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shark2288 View Post
what issues are they having?
I don't know exactly all the issues they are having, but they are all regretting their purchase and liked the 4.0 a lot more. AE is the most popular brand at our club and the Losi racers are now starting to switch to AE after the X left a bad taste in their mouth.
What I have seen is that a lot of them have the side guard broken where the battery strap goes, so the battery isn't super secure anymore. But I don't what the other parts are that fail.