Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Kyosho Sand Master - Same model with different ESC ? >

Kyosho Sand Master - Same model with different ESC ?

Kyosho Sand Master - Same model with different ESC ?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho Sand Master - Same model with different ESC ?

Hi Fellas.

I am new to RC and to this forum so please go easy on me
Was wondering if you can help me out with a few issues I have with my new/old RC cars.

Got a Kyosho Sand Master about a month ago, was pretty much brand new for a good price.
After throwing out NiMh and replacing it with a Li-Po, it is absolutely amazing how well the car runs. My 5yo loves it.
It also came with oil damper conversion kit.

Because we were so happy with this little buggy, I purchased another second hand one, but to my surprise this one came with a Ni-Cd battery (thought these were extinct?) and an ESC which doesn't appear to support a Li-Po battery?
It is exactly the same car, but unlike the first Kyosho we bought, it doesn't have a little jumper on ESC which when moved to a different set of pins, converts the buggy to use a Li-Po.
Was a bit disappointing to be honest, as even though the Ni-Cd battery is still good, it doesn't run as well.

My questions are.
Can I run this car on a Li-Po battery, I tried it and it runs great, I know there wont any safe battery cut off voltage, but I have a few of those buzzers lying around that I could use?
What would be a good replacement ESC for this car, I am after a good value for money ESC, not really interested in paying for an ESC that costs me more than what I paid for the car?
I was looking at hobby king, but not sure which one would suit me?

The one that I'd like to replace is Perfex KA-18esc Kyosho

Thank you

Your help is much appreciated.