Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea?  Is the TT02b better? >

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just because you don't like SCT/Slash racing, you can't expect everyone else to feel that way.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This thread has already shown me the Losi 22t :-) so it's been productive at least in that function.

Seriously, my DT-02 is a blast. Just looking at retail prices hurts me. $130 for a 2wd buggy, or $150 for a 4wd.... I find that difficult to swallow, and you lose the bashing, crawling, and self rescue ability of the 4wd.

Originally Posted by 071crazy
Just because you don't like SCT/Slash racing, you can't expect everyone else to feel that way.
​​​​​​​I don't. Doesn't make it suck less. :-)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
This thread has already shown me the Losi 22t :-) so it's been productive at least in that function.

Seriously, my DT-02 is a blast. Just looking at retail prices hurts me. $130 for a 2wd buggy, or $150 for a 4wd.... I find that difficult to swallow, and you lose the bashing, crawling, and self rescue ability of the 4wd.

I don't. Doesn't make it suck less. :-)
I'm sorry that SCT didn't click with you. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan either. I don't like the way, when they race, the body wobbles around. Makes it seem less graceful and more random than buggies and stadium trucks.

But the class is popular, and for a reason. And I don't see it going anywhere, esp not in favor of a single-vendor Tamiya solution.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jon003
But the class is popular, and for a reason. And I don't see it going anywhere, esp not in favor of a single-vendor Tamiya solution.
That Single Vendor Tamiya solution has been going strong for over 20 years in Europe now... The Euro-Cup for 26, and the US TCS series for a long time as well.

And lets not forget that that SCT class started as a Single vendor class...
Nerobro likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Take a look at PR Racing, they have a very wide range of options to meet lower budget constraints. I recently made the switch from TEKNO and I've been very happy with my results on a turf track.
REVIEW: PR Racing SB401-LW

If I had a $500 budget to build a car for a friend or family member, this I what I would buy today:
$275 - Kit
$33 - Shorty LiPo
$33 - Servo
$33 - 13.5T Motor
$60 - Radio
$52 - ESC

$486 - Total

mushroomed likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

13.5 4wd is far, far to fast for noobs. :-) Though that is a good price in the end. How's their american distribution network?
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

13.5 4wd is far, far to fast for noobs. :-) Though that is a good price in the end. How's their american distribution network?
Currently there are 2 main distributors in the US, but they are about to pick up a major distribution channel with Nemo Racing in the very near future, lots more detail in this article here:
TALK IT UP TUESDAY: PR Racing's Canaan Yingling
Old 05-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
Currently there are 2 main distributors in the US, but they are about to pick up a major distribution channel with Nemo Racing in the very near future, lots more detail in this article here:
TALK IT UP TUESDAY: PR Racing's Canaan Yingling
That’s a definite out the box brand choice. It would be a tough sell to someone just stepping into the race side. Even more for someone just starting out.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

That’s a definite out the box brand choice. It would be a tough sell to someone just stepping into the race side. Even more for someone just starting out.
We're talking about a $500 box here, essentially half of what the average racer will invest to get into the 13.5T class traditionally. When all was done, I sunk roughly $1,500 into my TEKNO EB410 to get it competitive on turf. Having a world top 25 driver (Adam Drake) supporting PR has proven his influence in making the platform competitive with current generation kits across the board. I spent a fair amount of time evaluating many brands when I decided to take a break from TEKNO and simply put, PR checked off all the right boxes for me. Only other brand in my sights was XRay, but they are just WAY too expensive

I would expect more people will embrace PR once Nemo picks up distribution and presumably distributes PR to other online channels like Amain, etc...
Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by billdelong
We're talking about a $500 box here, essentially half of what the average racer will invest to get into the 13.5T class traditionally. When all was done, I sunk roughly $1,500 into my TEKNO EB410 to get it competitive on turf. Having a world top 25 driver (Adam Drake) supporting PR has proven his influence in making the platform competitive with current generation kits across the board. I spent a fair amount of time evaluating many brands when I decided to take a break from TEKNO and simply put, PR checked off all the right boxes for me. Only other brand in my sights was XRay, but they are just WAY too expensive

I would expect more people will embrace PR once Nemo picks up distribution and presumably distributes PR to other online channels like Amain, etc...
Getting to a place like Amain would be a definite sign. I get that having a pro driver involved in development is a positive. But outside the hardcore racer. The names mean very little. I’ve come to recognize the names. But honestly I see most as hired guns. They jump team to team year by year. This is probably 4th-5th brand I’ve seen the name attached to.

I do do agree with. Nerobro that 13.5 is way too much for newer, and new to racing side. Especially at this location.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Go to you local location that has racing.sit and look at all the classes then decide what class you want to race in .might find a used rc race ready there.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, so I did some digging on Horizon. This is $390.

Bearings are another $16. $8 for a can of paint. $4 for a 4 pack of AA's at the local drug store. That's.. hard to beat.

While we're on that subject, the Losi 22t that I was so impressed with earlier, doesn't come with a battery or charger, which puts it as a more expensive option than the TT02.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/22s-st-...2wd-los03017t2
mushroomed likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Ok, so I did some digging on Horizon. This is $390.

Bearings are another $16. $8 for a can of paint. $4 for a 4 pack of AA's at the local drug store. That's.. hard to beat.

While we're on that subject, the Losi 22t that I was so impressed with earlier, doesn't come with a battery or charger, which puts it as a more expensive option than the TT02.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/22s-st-...2wd-los03017t2
RTR have been moving away from including battery and chargers for a number of years. Sometimes Horizon offers a package deal with a charger and couple batteries. But those are usually limited time offers.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by the rc guy
Go to you local location that has racing.sit and look at all the classes then decide what class you want to race in .might find a used rc race ready there.
That would work in a typical track situation. In this case it’s currently only 3 classes. They want a sportsman class, but it’s going to take some time/effort to develop
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Huh, I just started after decades long hiatus. I started racing with my basher traxxas rustler vxl, then switched to an EB410, 13.5T.

Takes some practice, to be sure, but I don't think its too fast, and I'm an old guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.