Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea?  Is the TT02b better? >

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree31Likes

The "what to race" question - Is the slash a bad idea? Is the TT02b better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
We tried for 2 years to get a sportsman class going. Only twice did we have enuff( 3 drivers) show up to run it.
This is, in a large part, because people don't say what sportsman is. So at WCRC, there were unspoken rules about Sportsman. EG: 17.5 or less, if you run sportsman you can't run any other classes.

Basicly, if you ran sportsman, that's all you could run.

There's a lot more to reply to here, but I'm still tied up.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by taylorsizemore
What you would like is a way to introduce newcomers to the hobby in a way that doesn't leave them discouraged? Correct me if I am wrong.
Mostly. "Getting in" is a matter of making them comfortable with whatever "mistake" car they bought on their own. Then having an inexpensive "entry" for them.

I mentioned LC because they are introducing a 1/10 scale car. I would agree about the smaller cars, but the price is right.
The grasshopper has a cool factor, but that's about it, aside from a great price. It would be a blast to watch a field of competitive drivers racing grasshoppers.
But the LC car isn't a reality yet. And the LC manual (for the EMB-1) is not one I'd hand to a new builder and expect a good result. The manual is ~trash~. I haven't tried to buy parts yet... I expect that will be tricky, but only time will tell there. The grasshopper is only cool for children of the 80's. And having driven lots of grasshoppers or grasshopper type cars... I wouldn't hand one to a noob with any kind of real motor in it. If you want to watch experts driving grasshoppers, the japanese tamiya cup stuff has a few videos like that. It's.. interesting for about three laps.

If you replace RC companies with individuals that share and build their knowledge freely upon each other, then yes, I am describing a portion of top tier racing.
I had that same dream. Sadly, people who want to build, are very much in the minority.

There are a lot of people that get really excited about tweaking a design and making it work well. I believe open sourcing a mass produced chassis could accelerate that. If I am not mistaken, wouldn't the RC10b2 and t2 patents have run out at this point, I would donate a good chunk of time to redrawing those cars in CAD and releasing the files... I think the same could be done with the TT02b! To be honest, I wouldn't really care if it was illegal, what could happen? I'm not selling it...
The vast majority of people who are "active" in the 3d printing scene have zero idea of what they're doing. You'd end up with mostly a bunch of broken cars. If you'd like to see how that turns out, check out the open rc F1 cars, and the "races" they've done.

Any of this sound interesting to you? I feel like we are on the same page and just excited about different aspects.
It's really too bad that we are not at the same track, we could make a class happen!
IT does sound interesting. As cool as it is, we don't need more classes.

Originally Posted by jgil089
The Grasshopper class is a good idea, but they are too outdated. However, Tamiya have rereleased a few cars and the Boomerang would be a good class, well may as well say a Hotshot class which covers Hotshot through to Bigwig. We all know that Tamiya peaked with the Boomerang, but some people may want to run something else or argue the TRF503 is better. I have a few Tamiya's and tbh they are all the same if they have oil shocks and independent suspension but the Shot series have the advantage of being bulletproof and parts are really easy to get.
Those old Tamiya vehicle, I’ve never understood the appeal of them. They seem to appeal only to those that were in the hobby “back in the day”.
I.. like.. antiquated stuff. But that's "for me". I have my DT-02, and it's awesome. But I wouldn't race with it. It's an amazing basher.

3D printing. While it’s becoming some what more common. It’s still long way from the average person. My local hobby store has one. But it’s been sitting unused for 3 years since the previous manager left. Shapeways seems to be too expensive for most things.
Shapeways isn't an answer to 3d printing. 3d printing ... isn't ~ever~ going to be an average person thing. Far to much of it is weather dependent, and a good 3d printer is as big as a microwave. I love my 3d printed stuff. And I've given away a lot of it.

Linking RC to school STEM programs. Maybe at a local level, but to go national, that’s far to optimistic for me to imagine. The rate schools adjust, kids in kindergarten would be graduating high school before it would be implemented.
First, anytime someone talks STEM, I do my best to reply with STEAM. Art is important. Vitally important. Art is what makes engineering and math worth the effort. So, any time you wrap schools into sports like this, you end up crippling the program, or attempting to develop it's own sport. It... never supports the industry, though it ~can~ support the students. "we" can't do it. That, and there's the time thing. :-/ Schools providing a place to have the hobby, is good. Schools being part of the hobby, notsogood. Also, kids aren't independently able to participate in the sport. This isn't a "for those without jobs" sport. I know it sounds terrible... but $400 cost of entry, is $400.

I'm cranky today. :-) I'm going racing tomorrow. I'm excited. That'll help.
MikaR, Billy Kelly and enare like this.

Last edited by Nerobro; 06-22-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
This is, in a large part, because people don't say what sportsman is. So at WCRC, there were unspoken rules about Sportsman. EG: 17.5 or less, if you run sportsman you can't run any other classes.

Basicly, if you ran sportsman, that's all you could run.

There's a lot more to reply to here, but I'm still tied up.
We tried to make it clear that it was a new driver open to road cars like the Vaterra or 4Tec. Multiple weekends I posted directly on the HobbyTown page to 4Tec owners. We would see the cars going out the store. A few even tried mine on the parking lot track, then bought. But none ever came back.

The two times we did run the rookie class, it was a drivers son and 2 of his friends.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

The two times we did run the rookie class, it was a drivers son and 2 of his friends.
A rookie class shouldn't ever be "big". It just needs to be there, and people need to feel welcome and encouraged to try.
Billy Kelly and enare like this.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
First, anytime someone talks STEM, I do my best to reply with STEAM.
100% agree, but wasn’t going to open up that convo.

I believe 3d printers will be in most homes in 10 years... right now, very few people have them. Almost as few as drive rc cars

All any of this takes is one good local example that can provide the formula for other tracks around the country. I’ll actually do something like this someday unless it exists already and has some momentum that I can get behind.
Right now I’m working a lot and not rich.

🙏
Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Tech Prophet

100% agree, but wasn’t going to open up that convo.

I believe 3d printers will be in most homes in 10 years... right now, very few people have them. Almost as few as drive rc cars

All any of this takes is one good local example that can provide the formula for other tracks around the country. I’ll actually do something like this someday unless it exists already and has some momentum that I can get behind.
Right now I’m working a lot and not rich.

🙏
10 years is way too optimistic for 3D printers to be common in homes. There still a solid percentage that don’t have home internet outside of phone, I’m one of them.

While can see in future it becoming more part of the hobby. I read once couple companies had vehicles in prototype stage, but shelved the idea of actual going into development. I’ll see I can find it.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

100% agree
Good.

The reasons why I don't agree with this are pretty wide. What we need for "what people expect of plastic" are sintering type machines. But sintering type machines aren't clean. They also don't have good surface finishes. FDM machines can get "fine" surface finishes, eg: ones that might be food safe, but FDM has precision problems, and then there's limitations with shape. Futhermore there's layer strength issues.

I don't perceive "in the home" printers being a thing anytime soon. If, ever. But "local printing centers" might be a thing. This definitely gets beyond the scope of this thread. :-) (I'm unreasonably close to the 3d printing world for someone who's not doing it as their big hobby.)

We need to work on audience size first. Then we can work on "neat classes". The ecosystem isn't big enough right now.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like your perspective man. I think I can be too optimistic at times. You might be right, but maybe I just like the risk of being wrong?

So what would you veer towards as a good platform at this point? TT02B? What’s your ideal entry for a rc newb look like? I think about this all the time, it’s good to hear others thinking the same thing.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 AM
Tech Prophet

I like your perspective man. I think I can be too optimistic at times. You might be right, but maybe I just like the risk of being wrong?

So what would you veer towards as a good platform at this point? TT02B? What’s your ideal entry for a rc newb look like? I think about this all the time, it’s good to hear others thinking the same thing.
There’s no one RC that’s perfect for all to start with. A lot depends on where they plan to use it mostly. Only about 10 percent that buy will ever go to a track or race.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

I'm wrong ~all the time~. :-)

The TT02b is cheap, is available at retail, and comes with everything minus a servo and receiver. It's also a "build". RTR puts a newb in the position of "this is magic, and it just works" and that... isn't a good place for someone. It leads to people buying the same crappy OEM servo, time and Traxxas again.

Ideal entry? Is someone shows up to a race track, they watch a race or two, then someone like me goes "Hey, wanna try?", and they get a few laps. We talk, or they talk to the shop owner, and they're introduced to what the low end of the hobby grade market looks like. They're shown the parts that they get to keep when they move models, and then they're shown some "reasonable" package for $400, with emphasis on "most of this you buy once." Whatever they buy at first, should be something that's more basher than racer. Nobody in their right mind, starts off with a good race car, and heck, you don't even know what you like until you're "deep in" the hobby. In an ideal world, they'll give/sell it to the next person who they want to get racing.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I would reccomend, go to your local track, find out which class has the most cars and buy what ever they are racing. iff off road, it will likely be 2wd or 4wd buggy. i would not reccomend buying anything other than those.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by enare
I would reccomend, go to your local track, find out which class has the most cars and buy what ever they are racing. iff off road, it will likely be 2wd or 4wd buggy. i would not reccomend buying anything other than those.
For someone that’s sure they are going to be racing, yes. It’s those that are thinking about it, and may try. But will end up running more away from track then at it.

I’m starting to like 2wheel buggy. Only been a couple months, pavement only. But I would not suggest one for someone unless the track was primary place.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by enare
That's real good in theroy. It breaks down in practice. Someone who's new, should be driving that car every day. Or at least a few times a week, around the driveway, back yard, local park. Just things to get muscle memory, and "how cars work" in their head. I don't want someone taking a brand new 4wd xray to the local park to chew everything up on grit, gravel, and nasty stuff. You don't want a car with good, hard, plastics when you could be running into the leg of a playset.

If you're learning, you want a car that you "don't need to care" about. Ideally with fixed suspension links, because it's easy to tell if that's "screwed up" while a car with adjustments won't necessarily tell you if something is wrong.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

One thing to remember is that Tamiya esc's don't have a lipo cutoff, so you would need an alarm to not run the battery too low. Also, cutting the battery connector and adding a t plug will void their warranty. Not necessarily deal breakers, but something to think about.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Biz73
One thing to remember is that Tamiya esc's don't have a lipo cutoff, so you would need an alarm to not run the battery too low. Also, cutting the battery connector and adding a t plug will void their warranty. Not necessarily deal breakers, but something to think about.
They have a useful warranty? I've not even tried... The escs are $25 on ebay, it's barely worth the time to try to exchange something at that price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.