Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
got 1st kit - please help with components >

got 1st kit - please help with components

Like Tree17Likes

got 1st kit - please help with components

Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Forget all the haters. If you got the money there’s nothing wrong with bashing and learning with top of the line racing equipment. For bashing on a 1500kv motor your for sure going to want to go with a 6s battery. 4s will be way to slow. I use the gens ace 4500mah 6s battery that come with an xt90 connector. It’s the same exact size as a standard 4s batters so it will fit in all e buggy’s just fine.

since your going with a Futaba 4pm radio you might as well get a Futaba servo so you can run it in sr(super response mode). The s9372sv is good and fast and high to and can be had for $115 on eBay. The cb700 servo would be too on the line if you wanted it. It’s about $150 on line.
metalmike likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Guys, thanks for all that! I appreciate the comments and support, and the additional recommendations. I am actually quite content with the outcome of this thread. Pretty much everything was helpful, save one. But even that one didn't cross any lines and remained well within acceptable boundaries IMO. For that show of constraint, I really have nothing against that author, just a different ideology . Maybe next time we cross paths there will be some value shared. Regarding 4s, I get it. I have given advice in areas where I have expertise , and had it ignored by someone with no experience - frustrating. Makes you wish you never offer a hand and wasted your in the first place LOL.

The physics of RC vehicles is interesting. It looks like a fun, challenging and intricate hobby. As such I am drawn to exploring it. Also, it looks like a lot of fun and I think its very cool. I love tinkering and building things especially when a high level of technicality is involved. I had no idea these vehicles were so sophisticated! Mine will start off with 6s power, hopefully done right (not reach triple digit speeds but to achieve fun, reliable, manageable buggy. I know the best results are achieved with 4s. I believe that. Professionals have proven it and it is obvious across the entire RC marketplace. When I have satisfied my 6S curiosity I will switch to 4s so I can make my comparison. I am also thinking about making some custom parts. I have a pretty well appointed workshop. Not sure what function until I start the build but I will embarrass myself and say I have thought of wheelie bars with an integrated mini shock and a roll cage...

@riceball, thanks for the battery recommendation. I will grab a couple of those. I was thinking that mah range is where should start so I am happy to have your validation. Regarding the Fut servo, I thought that the SR would also require Fut's ESC. Hmmm. The stuff noted back in post #20 is on the way so I will start there, but check into some options. Again thanks!
eR1c likes this.

Last edited by metalmike; 05-12-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 PM
KoP
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by metalmike View Post
Regarding the Fut servo, I thought that the SR would also require Fut's ESC. Hmmm. The stuff noted back in post #20 is on the way so I will start there, but check into some options. Again thanks!
Not true. You can have SR without having to use a Futaba ESC as another member posted earlier.

You only need the proper Tx, Rx and servo.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KoP View Post

Not true. You can have SR without having to use a Futaba ESC as another member posted earlier.

You only need the proper Tx, Rx and servo.
Cool. Will check them out. Thanks!

Edit: Whoa, the Futaba HPS-CB700 looks awesome. I need to call the shop as soon as they are open.

FEATURES:
– Suitable for RC cars 1/10 scale on/off road and 1/8 scale on/off road.
– Programmable/HV Brushless Servo.
– Custom New high power Brushless Motor.
– Supports SR mode with T7PX.
– Programmable and compatible with S.Bus and S.Bus2 systems.
– Can be connected to a PC using the CIU-2/-3 USB adapter sold separately.
– Upper/middle/bottom: Aluminum Case
SPEED:
0.09 sec/60°at 6.0V
0.075 sec/60° at 7.4V
TORQUE:
42.0 kgf/cm at 6.0V
583.3 ozf/in at 6.0V
49.0 kgf/cm at 7.4V
680.5 ozf/in at 7.4V
SIZE: 40.5 mm x 21 mm x 37.8 mm
1.59 in x 0.83 in x 1.49 in
WEIGHT: 76 g / 2.68 oz
RATED VOLTAGE: DC 6.0V-7.4V
OPERATING VOLTAGE: DC 4.8-8.4V
NO DRY BATTERY OR BEC USE

VS

MKS HBL599
Dead Band 0.0008ms (Default)
Control System +Pulse Width Control
Working Frequency 1520μs / 333hz
Operating Voltage 3.5 ~ 8.4 Volts
Operating Temperature Range -10 to + 60 Degree C
Operating Speed (6V) 0.11 sec/60 degrees at no load
Operating Speed (7.4V) 0.09 sec/60 degrees at no load
Operating Speed (8.4V) 0.08 sec/60 degrees at no load
Stall Torque (6V) 416.62 oz/in (30 kg/cm)
Stall Torque (7.4V) 527.72 oz/in (38 kg/cm)
Stall Torque (8.4V) 583.27 oz/in (42 kg/cm)
Motor Type Brushless Motor
Potentiometer Drive Indirect Drive
Bearing Type 12x8 mm Double bearings
Gear Type Chrome-Titanium alloy gear
Connector Wire Length 24.0 cm (9.4 in)
Dimensions 40 x 20 x 38.5 mm
Weight 73.12 g

Last edited by metalmike; 05-13-2019 at 01:07 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-13-2019, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Again, welcome to the rc "club", and have fun with this build.
With that 6s, go for it! -you can also turn down the throttle to limit power if you do feel its too much.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Again, welcome to the rc "club", and have fun with this build.
With that 6s, go for it! -you can also turn down the throttle to limit power if you do feel its too much.
Thank you Eric! The 1550kV shouldn't be too much. I am sure many 4s setups run much higher rpms. But yes, i do intend to limit the throttle in the radio and probably change the power curve in the esc as well - at least while i get the hang of it.

@ KoP - thanks for the servo tip, got that HPS-CB700 on the way to me!
Old 05-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

futaba's sr mode does not need a futaba esc. I dont even think futaba makes an esc. You just need a sr compatible futaba radio which your 4pm is. You need a sr compatible receiver which you 4pm will come with and you need a futaba sr compatible servo.

Last edited by riceball777; 05-14-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by riceball777 View Post
futaba's sr mode does not need a futaba esc. I dont even think futaba makes an esc. You just need a sr compatible futaba radio which your 4pm is. You need a sr compatible receiver which you 4pm will come with and you need a futaba compatible servo.
Yes Sir! Thanks for the confirmation. So waiting on the motor/ESC and Servo - this week

Last edited by metalmike; 05-15-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: trying to post a pic
Old Today, 06:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default it WORKS

All done.

I have to say I am glad I went this route. Run time is insane. With a 5200mAh 6s pack I ran for 25 minutes (timed) and had an end voltage of 23.88! Details of the run are:
1550 kV motor
15 T pinion
47 T Spur
Moderate driving on pavement (fast back and forth runs) with Throttle End Point limited to 60% in the 4PM and it still screams - easily spinning 4 road tires and way faster than my comfort threshold
EXP set slightly mild on the radio
Using SR mode on the radio, receiver, servo
ESC BEC @ 7.4 volts (if you have a Tekin ESC, get the HotWire - very nice)

Billy Kelly likes this.