Like Tree3Likes

Looking for Electric Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Looking for Electric Buggy

Hello all,

Used to be a racer, but struggled more with tuning the nitro engine than I wanted. I would like to get back into bashing (maybe racing) but will stay away from nitro and will go strictly with electric.

Years ago, everything I did was Losi, but am open to any manufacturer and would consider getting older versions as well.

I will need everything since I sold all my equipment. Would consider buying this as a package (RTR), but really enjoy buying separate pieces (radio, servos, engine, battery, charger, etc...) and putting it all together so am probably looking more for a kit.

Is there a best bang for the buck for someone getting started?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

I currently drive a TLR car but I would say the best bang for the buck right now is the Tekno eb48.4 @ $550. (for the kit)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:26 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

well he best bang for the $$$ kit wish for bashing and racing tekno. eb48.4 the only part i'd tell you to upgrade out of the box is the servo horn. now granited with a kit your looking at spending 1200+ thats all the electronic, lipo, radio charger. you can save some money by getting a used kit often with some to most of the electronic. or even stepping back to the eb48.3 you can get it full "rtr" kit. just strip it down to nuts and bolts for a full bearing and gaskets rebuild. then be money head.

assuming all bran new,
id go
eb48.4
futaba radio 4pls good for both bashers and racers alike.
im a tekin guy but the hobbywing have been quite popluer around the track friendlier on the wallet.
the rest id shop around for as to my needs and budget
Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)

In all honesty, building a ebuggy on the cheap is the worst approach to having a reliable product everytime you go to use it.
The electronics package you choose will be the heart of the buggy. ESC/MOTOR/SERVO/RADIO and RECEIVER/LiPo/ and charger. These items can be costly, but usually offer the best performance for the longest time. I am not saying spending money will resolve all the pitfalls of RC racing. Buying a $300.00+ esc motor combo doesn't mean it will last forever. They take a beating everytime they get used and abused. The servo and Lipo take the most punishment I think. Top shelf servos and HV lipos are the only way to go in this situation. Radio gear isnt as imperative, but higher models offer greater performance and options. And for the last , the charger. Wattage is your friend, unless your running dual 2s LiPo's in series. Charging a 4s pack is taxing on the little sub 100.00 chargers all day long. Most dont have a discharge function, and much needed storage mode. Storage mode is used at the end of every race on my LiPo's, and they perform exactly the same every time over the years.
my personal equipment is:
ZTW Turbo Beast 220A Pro sensored esc
ZTW 2150KV Pro sensored motor
KingMax CLS03L shorty servo (beast)
Gens Ace 7500 100C 15.6V 4s brick pack
Futaba 7PX, and high end receiver for most gains
Hota 6 Pro dual output up to 15A AC/DC charger
RL Power supply 85A

Any questions feel free to ask or PM me. I'd be happy to help.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Really love my Serpent SRX8e, the car is built like a tank and easy to setup as well as drive. You can drive it faster without it being twitchy like some brands.

As for electronics check out REDs 1900 motor....
If just getting back into it and looking to save some money then look at the SMC 1900 motor for like $70 and the HW SCT ESC for about $125 and Protek 150T Servo for about $120

As for radio really like my Hitech Lynx 4s radio and nice thing about it, that the receiver are only like $30 each if have multiple cars.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raul Garcia
In all honesty, building a ebuggy on the cheap is the worst approach to having a reliable product everytime you go to use it.
The electronics package you choose will be the heart of the buggy. ESC/MOTOR/SERVO/RADIO and RECEIVER/LiPo/ and charger. These items can be costly, but usually offer the best performance for the longest time. I am not saying spending money will resolve all the pitfalls of RC racing. Buying a $300.00+ esc motor combo doesn't mean it will last forever. They take a beating everytime they get used and abused. The servo and Lipo take the most punishment I think. Top shelf servos and HV lipos are the only way to go in this situation. Radio gear isnt as imperative, but higher models offer greater performance and options. And for the last , the charger. Wattage is your friend, unless your running dual 2s LiPo's in series. Charging a 4s pack is taxing on the little sub 100.00 chargers all day long. Most dont have a discharge function, and much needed storage mode. Storage mode is used at the end of every race on my LiPo's, and they perform exactly the same every time over the years.
my personal equipment is:
ZTW Turbo Beast 220A Pro sensored esc
ZTW 2150KV Pro sensored motor
KingMax CLS03L shorty servo (beast)
Gens Ace 7500 100C 15.6V 4s brick pack
Futaba 7PX, and high end receiver for most gains
Hota 6 Pro dual output up to 15A AC/DC charger
RL Power supply 85A

Any questions feel free to ask or PM me. I'd be happy to help.
Thanks for all the input. When I first got into RC racing, I bought a RTR and quickly found myself limited by the lower quality components included. I ended up selling the RTR and started again using a kit. I took a bath on the costs and learned the hard way.

I am certainly not going to skimp on components. With that said, the pieces I am looking at seem to be high quality, but less expensive.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Furadi
I currently drive a TLR car but I would say the best bang for the buck right now is the Tekno eb48.4 @ $550. (for the kit)
Originally Posted by killer rock
well he best bang for the $$$ kit wish for bashing and racing tekno. eb48.4 the only part i'd tell you to upgrade out of the box is the servo horn. now granited with a kit your looking at spending 1200+ thats all the electronic, lipo, radio charger. you can save some money by getting a used kit often with some to most of the electronic. or even stepping back to the eb48.3 you can get it full "rtr" kit. just strip it down to nuts and bolts for a full bearing and gaskets rebuild. then be money head.

assuming all bran new,
id go
eb48.4
futaba radio 4pls good for both bashers and racers alike.
im a tekin guy but the hobbywing have been quite popluer around the track friendlier on the wallet.
the rest id shop around for as to my needs and budget
Thanks for the information guys. The Tekno eb48.4 is $100 less expensive than the competitors and seems to fare well.

The Futaba 4PLS also seems to compete well against the competitors. It can be had for $175 right now from AMain using the $15 coupon.

Originally Posted by snwchris
Really love my Serpent SRX8e, the car is built like a tank and easy to setup as well as drive. You can drive it faster without it being twitchy like some brands.

As for electronics check out REDs 1900 motor....
If just getting back into it and looking to save some money then look at the SMC 1900 motor for like $70 and the HW SCT ESC for about $125 and Protek 150T Servo for about $120

As for radio really like my Hitech Lynx 4s radio and nice thing about it, that the receiver are only like $30 each if have multiple cars.
The one complaint I've heard about the Tekno eb48.4 is that it can be prone to flipping and a little harder to control. I am trying to decide if the $100+ is worth going to the next level of kit.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-11-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
The one complaint I've heard about the Tekno eb48.4 is that it can be prone to flipping and a little harder to control. I am trying to decide if the $100+ is worth going to the next level of kit.
There is no next level per se. All race kits will require individual tuning to get optimal performance for the driver.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Just be advised that the Tekno e(n)B48.5 is in the works, thus the price in the current kit being so low. I have an SRX8e and I love it.
Furadi likes this.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

What does in the works mean? Is the release imminent or is it a ways off?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

What does in the works mean? Is the release imminent or is it a ways off?
I'd heard it was a few months out from one of the sponsored drivers at my track.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

If you're looking for new, imo the best bang for the buck is tower hobbies and coupon code. You can get the car there for 475 shipped. Tekno is one of the few companies that still allows discount coupons on their products.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

www.absolutehobbyz.com has coupons as well
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcgod
If you're looking for new, imo the best bang for the buck is tower hobbies and coupon code. You can get the car there for 475 shipped. Tekno is one of the few companies that still allows discount coupons on their products.
I have searched for Tower coupon codes and have come up short. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Originally Posted by sebtarta
www.absolutehobbyz.com has coupons as well
Yes thanks. I saw those.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have searched for Tower coupon codes and have come up short. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Pm me I'll hook you up.
Garet Jax likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.