Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy >

Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy

Like Tree20Likes

Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy

Old 05-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, it's twice the work, but each individual shock supports half the load and is extremely unlikely to blow-out. I've never actually had a shock on any of my Bullets blow-out, even when I was using the stock plastic shocks. Also, dual shocks distributes the load more evenly across the width of the suspension arm, so the arms don't twist and the steering caster doesn't change when the suspension compresses.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Those stadium-truck wheels and tires do look pretty good. The question is whether you can find a good stadium-truck body to put on it, though. The HPI Bullet bodies (even the Bullet ST body) just don't look quite right with stadium-truck wheels and tires...
Absolutely. HPI's bodies are always on the wider, bulkier side. They work ok, but usually need to clear the muffler/exhaust on the nitro version of the vehicle (HPI's bodies tend to pull double duty) so they're wider than they need to be for electric. And HPI has never really been known for sleek, form-fitting bodies like, say, the et410, or the xt2 shells. Neither the Bullet nor the Jumpshot has protrusions for shock towers. The bodies just kinda sit on top of them, so they're wide AND they sit up high. :/
Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

The downside of RTR bodies is they're large and bubbly. The upside is you don't have to paint them and there's plenty of room underneath for good airflow and custom mods without needing to find a new body to accommodate them. I stuffed a Losi 3.4 into one of my Bullets and only needed to Dremel a small piece of the body away to provide enough clearance, and there are no cooling issues either. A form-fitting body would've forced me to cut a big hole for the heatsink to stick out, and I probably would've gone through a couple bodies as I learned where the heat buildup was severe enough to warp the plastic.

As for the shock towers...having big bulging protrusions in the body to clear the shock towers while letting the rest of the body sit lower would be very "not-scale", and the industry as a whole is moving towards more scale-accurate appearances even with basher trucks. You could always cut slots in the body for the shock towers to stick through, and get some bolt-on shock tower guards from one of those 3D-printing places, if you really want the body to ride lower. Though the Bullet has wide and flat shock towers that would basically require full-width slots in the body, and then the body would tear in half the first time the truck flipped over.