Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy >

Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy

Like Tree20Likes

Project Track Bae: The Monster Stadium Truggy

Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Finishing it up now. Turnbuckles are done. I'm not satisfied with the shock situation, though. I'd imagine that those plastic spacers are gonna flex under load, so I'm looking at different options. Also, those tires aren't exactly track-spec, but they're what I had on hand at the time, LOL. Better suspension mounting and wheel/tire combo to come...

Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For racing at the track, why don't you look into some 1/8 buggy or truggy sized wheels and tires. Find out what tires work the best, and buy those
Old 05-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
For racing at the track, why don't you look into some 1/8 buggy or truggy sized wheels and tires. Find out what tires work the best, and buy those
Good idea. I'll be hitting up the track again soon for shock oil. But I'd definitely go with 1/10 scale 2.2 inch wheels. MAYBE 2.8. Technically, it's still a 10th scale truck, but with 1/8 scale rally car parts, LOL.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by We Are Ninja View Post
Good idea. I'll be hitting up the track again soon for shock oil. But I'd definitely go with 1/10 scale 2.2 inch wheels. MAYBE 2.8. Technically, it's still a 10th scale truck, but with 1/8 scale rally car parts, LOL.
2.2's might be too small. Take your truck with you to the track and see if you can test fit some Wheels first. I think 1/8 buggy Wheels and tires would work great on your truck. What body will you be using?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

It looks huge in the pics for some reason, but the wheelbase is only 300mm. 1/10 stadium trucks seem to hover around 295. 2.8" wheels might be just the ticket. I'll check out the buggy wheels too, but I really, really like the bulky truck look. For the body, I'm thinking HPI Firestorm or Jumpshot. I like the Losi 22T 4.0 body, too.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

The plastic shock-tower spacers won't flex under load because they aren't load-bearing. The long screws are. Your best bet is to get the hardest hardened-steel screws you can, and use those instead of the stock screws. I also used Axial Wraith rubber eyelet bushings in the upper eyelets of my shocks, to pad the screws from a tiny bit of the impact force when landing jumps.

You will want to upgrade to the chrome-plated HD drive cups for the 3 diffs. The stock black ones wear-out pretty fast. Also, make sure you oil them; even if it accumulates a little dirt, the oil will still be better than no lubrication at all. A couple drops of oil will make the drive cups last for months of hard driving instead of weeks.

2.8" wheels are the perfect size for this chassis. They "look right", if you know what I mean. The trick, I suppose, would be finding 2.8" tires that have track-specific compounds and tread patterns, but aren't super-low-profile like buggy tires tend to be.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 AM
Tech Adept

I think Sct wheels and tires might look good? Plenty of options for the track then too.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
The plastic shock-tower spacers won't flex under load because they aren't load-bearing. The long screws are. Your best bet is to get the hardest hardened-steel screws you can, and use those instead of the stock screws. I also used Axial Wraith rubber eyelet bushings in the upper eyelets of my shocks, to pad the screws from a tiny bit of the impact force when landing jumps.

You will want to upgrade to the chrome-plated HD drive cups for the 3 diffs. The stock black ones wear-out pretty fast. Also, make sure you oil them; even if it accumulates a little dirt, the oil will still be better than no lubrication at all. A couple drops of oil will make the drive cups last for months of hard driving instead of weeks.

2.8" wheels are the perfect size for this chassis. They "look right", if you know what I mean. The trick, I suppose, would be finding 2.8" tires that have track-specific compounds and tread patterns, but aren't super-low-profile like buggy tires tend to be.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't even aware that there were chrome-plated drive cups available. I'll hunt a set down. And yeah, so far, only Duratrax has a vaguely track-inspired tread. Pro-Line, Louise, and Dynamite's offerings are all geared more towards all-terrain.

Originally Posted by aspiringracer View Post
I think Sct wheels and tires might look good? Plenty of options for the track then too.
That's an idea as well. I hadn't even thought about it. It doesn't look TOO bad with 2.2 inch wheels, though.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Those stadium-truck wheels and tires do look pretty good. The question is whether you can find a good stadium-truck body to put on it, though. The HPI Bullet bodies (even the Bullet ST body) just don't look quite right with stadium-truck wheels and tires.

About the HD drive cups: You don't need to replace them immediately, they won't break your axles or anything like that, but the stock ones will wear out pretty quickly. No point paying for stock replacements if you can get the upgraded HD replacements.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:31 AM
Tech Adept

I love the 2.2 St tire look, no question. I personally have a hard time liking SCT wheels most times, their 2.2-3.0 bead setup just always looked weird to me.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

I like it ! ! ! Im not all that horned up about HPIs dual shock setup though... every thing else..... thumbs up !
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Now that I've seen it, I actually like the look of the 2.2 sized tires. Definitely gets it a lot lower to the ground which will help tremendously with handling at the track.
We Are Ninja likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bob.less View Post
I like it ! ! ! Im not all that horned up about HPIs dual shock setup though... every thing else..... thumbs up !
Dual shocks is definitely more of a monster-truck thing than a stadium-truck thing, but it works well on the Bullet even if you're not running it as a monster truck.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Maybe its just the thought of chaneging out the oil for 8 shocks instead of 4 thats so depressing. any 1/8 shock options....?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

^ Yah, they're cool, but it's literally twice the work and twice the funds. Ordered a set of aluminum collars and caps. Had to buy two full sets. I want some spring perches... I'll need two sets. God forbid I need to change oil or rebuild them, LOL. BUT, they look cool, and I really wanna experiment with dual rate spring setups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service