Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Weird idea, will this work? >

Weird idea, will this work?

Weird idea, will this work?

Old 04-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Weird idea, will this work?

Ok weird idea, but an interesting one that seems like it could work.

I buy lots of batteries, I also go for long drives and deplete all of them. New batteries aren’t cheap, and I’d rather put that money toward upgrades. Now this problem didn’t occur at race day where there’s a plug right next to the track and I can cycle 2-3 batteries and drive for eternity. But out in the mountains there’s a lack of plugs in the trees sadly. Now this idea hit me.

From what I’ve read you can charge and discharge regular car batteries. What if I stuck a 1000 ah car battery in my backpack, used my chargers alligator plugs and charged my batteries as I walked? I could then return home and recharge the real car battery. I’d then be able to run infinitely on two batts. I’d also only need to carry two instead of 10+ batteries in my backpack (I go for day trips) so weight wouldn’t really change. I could also sell 8+ of them so it wouldn’t cost me anything really.

Maybe it wouldn’t work, idk. Lemme know what you guys think!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When I was doing some comp crawling, I brought a motorcycle battery and a little cheap multimeter. I have never charged while I walked, but would set it up in a safe place and recharge. I brought the multimeter to check the voltage of the motorcycle battery to make sure it wasn’t under about 11.8v.

With that said, there are tons of Lithium Ion motorcycle batteries out there that weigh about 1/4 of a lead acid battery. Might be a good option. You could carry 2 in a backpack no problem.

with a car battery, if it’s not an AGM battery, or a sealed battery, you will never completely contain the battery acid that’s in the battery, your make a giant acidic mess which doesn’t really hurt, but will kill/decay/ruin every piece of material it leaks on. I have plenty of ruined clothes from this while I was a motorcycle mechanic. If this was your only option I’d pack a ziplock bag full of baking soda to clean this mess up and neutralize it.

Hope this helps.... what voltage are you charging and what is the Mah of your batteries?
Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

....or build a Tesla Coil... joking.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

I had a small dry cell. I could charge to 16.5 volts and Get 6 Topoff on 5000mah 2-4 cells. Add a foldout solar panel and got a few more . it made it a few hours.6.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

will this work? yes

is it a good idea? not completely there are better portable power sources

Issus with any lead acid batteries. Sealed AGM or regular. There heavy, prone to leaking. And aren't good for being discharged pasted 1/2 they start self-destructing faster.

Now depending on how your batteries are you could get a high capacity LiFePO4, lihv. For the same price maybe a little more, then a lead acid.

other options would be a super capacitor bank and a Soler panel.

what capacity of batteries you needing charge.

there even a very small genie.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I’m normally running 2-3s 5000mah batteries. Interesting that they leak, what if I kept them inside of a plastic bin inside the backpack, cut holes in the lid, and ran the alligator plugs inside? That way the leak would be contained and wouldn’t get on anything.Just another idea.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also if it’s an “AGM” or sealed battery then in theory it would work exactly as I’m thinking?
Old 04-24-2019, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Agm or sealed batteries still have vents and are still prone to leaking. How far from the parked car are you going because you can always change off it too, or have a special spot in the trunk. Keeping the battery upright. As long as the trail is well worn down could use a wagon.

I do want you to realize a car battery is 40lb + your gear you could be carrying around up to 60+ with out even know it and it wouldn't be hard to get to 100 before you know it.

But back to you original question is it possible yes, can you do it yes will it work yes.

If you want to give it a try you can always pick up a 40lb dumbbell and see if you really want to do it. Return it after your quick experiment. Good luck have fun
Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 AM
Tech Lord

An affordable camping solar panel can provide 12v 5 to 10A....

If you need more, I would sugest a generator.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1 for a portable generator for best practical solution

I have also used this power inverter here off my car, I can usually go about 2 hours before having to start my car engine to make sure the battery doesn't drain... I once went about 4 hours and needed a jump start:
https://www.harborfreight.com/750-wa...ter-66817.html