Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Rustler 4x4 Motor Recommendation >

Rustler 4x4 Motor Recommendation

Rustler 4x4 Motor Recommendation

Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Rustler 4x4 Motor Recommendation

Hey everyone! So I came to this forum looking for some reliable information. I have a rustler 4x4 and the stock Velineon system just didn't cut it for me. It was overheating with heavy 3s usage geared at 13/54. I live in the Southern US and the temperature during the summer can get to around 90 degrees F. I decided to upgrade the ESC to a Hobbywing Max10 SCT paired with a HobbyStar 3660 3300kv motor. The ESC is working perfect with no heat issues. However the motor is still overheating even when paired with a WTF turbo fan.

I am looking for a motor than can handle 2s on an offroad track and offroad bashing, while being able to handle 3s on just asphalt. The rustler has quite a few upgrades and the total weight with a battery is probably around 6.5 lbs. I use 2.8 tires onroad and SCT wheels/tires offroad. I would like to run the same 13/54 gearing or maybe a bit higher at 16/54. Id like a sensorless motor with a 5mm shaft, 4mm connectors, and I've been thinking of the kv to be from 2800 to 3500. The rustler can accommodate a motor with the length of up to 70mm.

I have been researching for days and I just want some honest opinions on what to get. My budget is $100 or less if possible and I'd like to stay away from 1/8 motors because all of my batteries are 2s and 3s. I just want a capable motor that won't overheat in the southern temperature I have to deal with!

Thank you all for reading and I hope I can soon find a motor that will work for me.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is the temperature of your hobbystar 3300 KV motor after 5 mins of hard bashing? If it's over 160 degrees, gear down with a smaller pinion one or two teeth.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have tried a lot of overpowered motors and my favorite brand is TPPower. You can specify everything - diameter, length, kv, etc for the perfect setup given your battery, gearing and speed targets.

Recently they also started offering sealed end bells for car use (they started out as a boat motor company so the motor cans were previously all open).

The website is a bit overwhelming at times but you get used to it. Well worth the effort - I have their motors for 1/16, 1/10, and 1/8th scale, and they are all quite good.

The motor you need should just about fit your budget.